-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Tatman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> "ric carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Them who can't program, manage; them who can't manage, manage
> > programmers."
>
> Isn't that sort of like herding cats, or leading kangaroos on a leash?

Actually, I'm quite good at herding cats myself, but I admit to
not having tried 'roo-wrangling.  And apparently BillGates aka
Satan is proficient at managing programmers, but he's careful to
only hire tame ones, not the wild, free-range coders that infest
the SF Bay Area.  Maybe Seattle's moisture dampens their latent
anarchistic impulses, or maybe Gates relies on implants.

I based my epigram upon my own experiences in a mammoth systems
organization in the financial sector. Military, gov't, gaming and
other programming environments may attract more competent managers,
or maybe they just offer better rewards & perks - I mean, coding
for Nintendo, you can play at controlling the world, and coding
for the CIA, you actually CAN control the world.  Whereas, coding
for an insurer, you can control... premiums.  <yawn>

IMHO in the study of conspiracies too much is made of the role of
political/economic/religious plotters, and not enough attention
has been paid to the technogeeks who implement the plots in our
wired world.  When the CIA fires up HAARP to take over humanity's
minds, I'll bet some microserf has embedded a worm to directly
stimulate cranial pleasure centers, leading to continuous intense
orgasms, pleasure that the plotters will miss out on.

  Ric "and put LSD in the water at a Bilderberger conference" Carter