-Caveat Lector-

Two Weeks in Rebel Hands Prompts a New View of Colombian Conflict

AP
17-JUN-99

CALI, Colombia (AP) -- Two weeks of scaling mountains in the cold and rain,
herded around by leftist insurgents intent on teaching their captives a
lesson, gave Rafael Posada a new view of the Western hemisphere's
longest-running civil conflict.

The rebel National Liberation Army, or ELN, released Posada and 32 other wet,
haggard hostages late Tuesday in mountains south of Cali.

The freed hostages had been among 160 parishioners hustled out of the La Maria
church on Cali's southern edge on May 30 by the country's second-largest rebel
group and trucked into the mountains.

Most of those seized were freed that same day. But at least 20 remain captive.

Posada, a 50-year-old administrator at the CIAT agricultural research
institute in Cali, said the experience gave him a new perspective on
Colombia's nearly four decades of class-based war.

"I always thought that paying my taxes, working hard, being a good father,
that this war wasn't mine. Now I see that this violence is the consequence of
an economic model that doesn't work," said Posada, his face was chafed by sun
and wind.

Introduced to the life of Colombia's rural poor -- with little to eat, not
enough good blankets, sleeping on the floor -- helped him understand what
draws young peasants to the rebels, Posada said.

"When we asked for more blankets they told us 'Thousands of our comrades are
in jails, sleeping on the floor awaiting trial.' When we asked, 'Why are we
here?' they said that theirs was a social movement to do away with injustice
and poverty and that our abduction was part of that," said Posada, who lost
nine pounds during the ordeal.

The ELN also is holding 24 people from an Avianca domestic flight it hijacked
April 12.

The rebels claim the mass abductions are to force President Andres Pastrana's
government to seriously engage it in peace talks. But Roman Catholic officials
on Wednesday accused the ELN of seeking ransoms for some captives.

"They want to make money at the expense of the pain and suffering of the
hostages," said Isaias Duarte Cancino, the archbishop of Cali.

Although admitting privately that ransoms have been sought, no relative of a
hostage still being held has confirmed the ransom requests publicly. No known
ransoms were paid for the hostages that were freed.

"We who were freed think that those who remain captive are going to have to
pay ransoms -- although the guerrillas never told us as much," Posada said,
adding that those still held were "people of means."

The rebels have vowed to release the Avianca hostages later this week,
according to the Colombian and international commission that received the
freed churchgoers.

Cecilia Ruiz, 47, was among those freed Tuesday. Her 20-year-old son Patrick
is still being held.

"Most Colombians who have the means are leaving the country. After this, I
think I would too, if I could," she said. "What future is there for my
children, or grandchildren, growing up in such chaos?"

Copyright 1999& The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may
not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

=================================
Robert F. Tatman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Remove "nospam" from the address to reply.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is
distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in
receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For

more information go to: http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/107.shtml

POSTING THIS MESSAGE TO THE INTERNET DOES NOT IMPLY PERMISSION TO SEND
UNSOLICITED COMMERCIAL E-MAIL (SPAM) TO THIS OR ANY OTHER INTERNET ADDRESS.
RECEIPT OF SPAM WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE NOTIFICATION OF THE SENDER'S ISP.

http://webmail.netscape.com.