-Caveat Lector-

I'm a Brit, so I may bring a different perspective to these events,
but...

Your response terrifies me, Ric. Not because of what you say in itself,
but because it intimates that there are those who truly, genuinely
believe that such events did not happen before the age of video games,
violent movies, and mass TV watching.

What violent films did Jack the Ripper watch, to 'make' him commit his
crimes?

What violent TV shows were the denizens of the Victorian East End of
London watching, to make this one of the most violent and depraved
places that has ever existed upon this earth, with prostitution,
alcoholism and violent death as common as pimples?

What video games did the murderers and robbers recorded in the Newgate
Calendar play, to 'make' them commit their depraved acts - in the 17th,
18th and 19th centuries?

And what violent video films did Mary Bell watch, in the early 1960s, to
'make' her, at the tender age of 12 years, strangle two little boys,
just because she could?

This nonsense about media influence is widespread, but it is nonsense.
Human depravity is the issue, and always has been. It's just a
limp-wristed, dumb, idiotic abnegation of responsibility to blame it on
the media. It makes the National Viewers and Listeners Association (UK)
or the 'moral majority' or whatever they call themselves nowadays, feel
righteous and superior to make these claims, but there's no substance to
them at all. They merely allow the people involved to avoid the real
issue, which is the fact of human nature.

If you truly believe that there was no crime or violence before
videotapes and computer games, there's only one thing  you can do:

GET SOME THERAPY. Or some history lessons.

R.

PS I'll gladly get tossed off the list now, if only this one message
gets through.