-Caveat Lector-

From
http://ac.acusd.edu/History/text/versaillestreaty/vercontents.html

3.A Chronology of Wilson's battle with Congress for the League of
Nations 1919-1921 (at the bottom of the page, one find the specific
link to the following 'reservations')

> LODGE RESERVATIONS:
>
> 1.... in case of notice of withdrawal from the league of nations, as
> provided in said article [Article 1], the United States shall be the
> sole judge as to whether all its international obligations . . . have
> been fulfilled, and notice of withdrawal . . . may be given by a
> concurrent resolution of the Congress of the United States
>
> 2. The United States assumes no obligation to preserve the territorial
> integrity or political independence of any other country . . . under
> the provisions of article 10, or to employ the military or naval
> forces of the United States under any article of the treaty for any
> purpose, unless in any particular case the Congress, which . . . has
> the sole power to declare war . . . shall . . . so provide
>
> 3. No mandate shall be accepted by the United States under article 22
> . . . except by action of the Congress of the United States
>
> 4. The United States reserves to itself exclusively the right to
> decide what questions are within its domestic jurisdiction...
>
> 5. The United States will not submit to arbitration or to inquiry by
> the assembly or by the council of the league of nations . . . any
> questions which in the judgment of the United States depend upon or
> relate to . . . the Monroe doctrine; said doctrine is to be
> interpreted by the United States alone and is... holly outside the
> jurisdiction of said league of nations...
>
> 6. The United States withholds its assent to articles 156, 157, and
> 158 [Shantung clauses]...
>
> 7. The Congress of the United States will provide by law for the
> appointment of the representatives of the United States in the
> assembly and the council of the league of nations, and may in its
> discretion provide for the participation of the United States in any
> commission.... no person shall represent the United States under
> either said league of nations or the treaty of peace . . . except with
> the approval of the Senate of the United States...
>
> 9. The United States shall not be obligated to contribute to any
> expenses of the league of nations . . . unless and until an
> appropriation of funds . . . shall have been made by the Congress of
> the United States
>
> 10. If the United States shall at any time adopt any plan for the
> limitation of armaments proposed by the council of the league . . . it
> reserves the right to increase such armaments without the consent of
> the council whenever the United States is threatened with invasion or
> engaged in war...
>
> 14. The United States assumes no obligation to be bound by any
> election, decision, report, or finding of the council or assembly in
> which any member of the league and its self-governing dominions,
> colonies, or parts of empire, in the aggregate have cast more than one
> vote

And then,

> [...]

> would have prohibited all passengers on belligerent ships - a Wilosn
> victory •Sussex incident Mr. 24 - Wilson wanted to be decisive, to
> assure Brit, Fr that he was determined to get peace - need to allow
> Ger alternative to war - ff cruiser rules •Wilson opp'd to both Ger
> and Allies - both still seeking military victory in 1916 - Battle of
> Jutland May 31-June is a tactical victory of Ger. Admiral Reinhard
> Scheer whose 99 ships sank 117,025 tons of Brit Adm. John Jellicoe's
> 149 ships that sank only 61,180 tons. But the battle was a Brit.
> strategic victory keeping the Ger. navy bottled up, tightening the
> blockade, causing 750,000 Germans to starve to death, and leaving the
> U-boat as Germany's only alternative. •May 27 speech - Wilson
> advocates U.S. join postwar League - goal of collective security w/
> guarantees •1916 - Wilson wins Dem Party nomination because "he kept
> us out of war"- gets strong League plank in party platform, but is
> attacked as pro-British - Chas "Evasive" Hughes nominated by Repub
> Party seeking Ger-Amer votes, but Hughes said he would be tougher on
> Mexico, Ger •Nov. election - close - Hughes (46%, 254, won east) vs
> Wilson (49%, 277, won south and west) - no mandate for peace or war
> but Wilson continued diplomacy to end the war. •Dec. 18 note to Ger
> offering peace, but was refused - Wilson rejected by both Allies, Ger
> •late 1916 - new young Emperor Karl of AH supported by Wilson - but
> press campaign of Alice Masaryk, d. of Thos, released 1916 from AH
> prison •Jan 22, 1917, speech "Peace Without Victory" meant for Ger,
> but was rejected
>

> 5. unrestricted sub warfare Feb. 1, 1917
>

> •decline of Bethman-Hollweg, rise of military - violated Sussex pledge
> •Feb. 3 - U.S. breaks diplomatic relations - endorsed by Senate Feb. 7
> - Wilson policy of patience replaced by decisive action •Feb. 25 -
> Brit Laconia liner sunk - 3 Am. killed •Feb. 26 - WW asks Congress to
> arm merchant ships - passed by House but not Senate - Wilson goes
> ahead March 12 by executive order
>

> 6. Zimmermann telegram Mar. 1
>

> •pub'd by State Dept, based on decryption by Brit of Ger. Foreign Secy
> note to Eckhardt in Mexico of Jan 16 •Mar. 12 - sinking of unarmed
> U.S. ship Algonquin, then March 16 City of Memphis, Illinois,
> Vigilancia
>

> 7. Democracy
>

> •April 2 - Wilson delivers war message to Congress
> •April 4 - passed by Senate 82-6
> •April 6 - passed by House 373-50 and signed by Wilson
> •The Great War - Episode 6 - "Collapse" - "the U.S. was going to war
> to establish a new world order, to establish the principles of
> democracy."

> --
>

> Resources:
>

> •U-boat War in WWI from Uboat.net •U-Boat war 1914-1918 •The Great War
> PBS series •World War I: Trenches on the Web

> -- revised 2/10/99 | next outline for 1917-1919 | Versailles Treaty |

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.