From: Alamaine Ratliff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, June 21, 1999 1:27 AM
Subject: [CTRL] Watch Swiss

> [...]
> > Parker, George Mason University; Dan Polsby, Northwestern University;
> > Keith T. Poole, Carnegie-Mellon University; Douglas B. Rasmussen, St.
> > John's University; Glenn Reynolds, University of Tennessee; John R.
> > Rice, Duke University; Russell Roberts, Washington University; Randall
> > W. Roth, Univ. of Hawaii; Charles Rowley, George Mason University;
> > Allen R. Sanderson, University of Chicago; William F. Shughart II,
> > University of Mississippi; Thomas Sowell, Stanford University; Richard
> > Stroup, Montana State University; Robert D. Tollison, University of
> > Mississippi; Eugene Volokh, UCLA; Michael R. Ward, University of
> > Illinois; Benjamin Zycher, UCLA; Todd Zywicki, George Mason
> > University.
> >
> > The New Australian
>

> A<>E<>R
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
> new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
> one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
>                                        German Writer (1759-1805)
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
> prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> "Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
> information and ideas through any media and regardless
> of frontiers."
> Universal Declaration of Human Rights
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> "Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
> teach you to keep your mouth shut."
> --- Ernest Hemingway
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
> + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
> In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
> is distributed without charge or profit to those who have
> expressed a prior interest in receiving this type of information
> for non-profit research and educational purposes only.
>
> DECLARATION & DISCLAIMER
> ==========
> CTRL is a discussion and informational exchange list. Proselyzting
propagandic
> screeds are not allowed. Substance-not soapboxing!  These are sordid
matters
> and 'conspiracy theory', with its many half-truths, misdirections and
outright
> frauds is used politically  by different groups with major and minor
effects
> spread throughout the spectrum of time and thought. That being said, CTRL
> gives no endorsement to the validity of posts, and always suggests to
readers;
> be wary of what you read. CTRL gives no credeence to Holocaust denial and

Having visited Switerland on many occasions, I dated a woman from Basle, and
one from St Gallen (although not at the same time), I found your article
most intriguiing for a number of reasons:

Your view on gun control in this country I very much agree with.   This
country is still the most armed placed on the planet, but not by your
measures.     Guns in American have a strong psyhco-social context which is
not found in any other country, for evidence of this look at Hollywood.

But I must strongly disagree with you on your bit of revisionist history.

[It was the Swiss' passion for guns only matched by their determination to
keep their liberty that helped keep the Nazi war machine at bay. When the
Swiss government thought a Nazi invasion was imminent it ordered every able
bodied man to stand by his post and defend it to the last round. Their
determination to defend their liberties plus their shooting skills and the
sheer quantity of weapons at their disposal combined with the nature of the
terrain persuaded the Nazis that an invasion of Switzerland was not worth
the cost.]

The correct story of why the NAZIs didn't evade was twofold, as related to
me as I drove through the San Gotthard pass from Interlaken by my
girlfriend's father.   It had to do with a secret pact the Swiss made with
the NAZIs to provide rail passage from Schaffhausen to MIlan to reinforce
Mussolini's poorly trained troops.     Also, and moreover, as history has
recently revealed the Swiss laundred most of the NAZI loot through the NAZI
control BIS (Bank of International Settlements) in Basle, Swiss Bank Corp
based in Basle also, and Credit Suisse based in Zurich.

My girlfriends father pointed to many mountain ranges as we drove through
the breathtaking Swiss countryside, indicating that in the event of a NAZI
invasion the population intoto would be moved into certain mountain ranges
which where equiped with everything to withstand the NAZI incursion for up
to seven years.   The idea being to hold them off in the mountains where the
Swiss where experts in that terrain.

You'd do to better research you history.

Jeffrey C Hearon
Founder & CEO
SCIO-LTD
http://www.scio-ltd.net