-Caveat Lector-

http://www.forteantimes.com/artic/112/egypt.html

Whoever built the pyramids, a debate rages over who should uncover their
secrets. Could there be a conspiracy to hide the truth? Niklas Rasche digs
up the evidence.

In 1095 the first crusade was launched against the Holy Land, ostensibly
with the aim of vanquishing the heathens and `reclaiming' Jerusalem.
Something similar has been going on at Giza for almost 140 years now.
Nowadays we use satellite imaging, network television specials, exclusive
book deals and hidden video cameras in our latest attempts to wrest control
of the monuments both from the Egyptians themselves and from orthodox
thinking about them.

At the end of the second Christian millennium, Egypt has become the
alternative Holy Land the only problem being that it really isn't that
alternative at all. Just as Jerusalem is the focus of the three major
monotheistic religions, Egypt has become the Mecca of our post-modern
spiritual chaos. Every cult, conspiracy theory, mystical order and
alternative theory of origins sets down on the Giza Plateau at some point.
>From Drunvalo Melchizedek to Damanhur, from the Freemasons to proselytisers
for the reality of Atlantis Egypt is the alpha and the omega of non-orthodox
religion. Everybody seems to experience their own personal religious
`Plateau phase' the second they set foot in Giza.

The official closing of the Great Pyramid on April 1st for "essential
cleaning and renovation work" has prompted many to talk of hidden agendas
and conspiracies at the highest level of Egypt's Supreme Council of
Antiquities (SCA). Two points immediately come to mind. One why did the
authorities not plan their secret tunnelling just a tad better and wait
until the Pyramid was closed? (If just one person au fait with the layout of
the Great Pyramid notices what seems to be new excavations you can be sure
that everyone will soon hear about it see separate report and The Daily Mail
Sat. 18th April 1998 .) Two the Great Pyramid is not, contrary to popular
belief, now hermetically sealed. Throughout the period of renovation people
will be allowed in for "meditation". In fact, if you have a desperate need
to get inside the Great Pyramid in the next little while why not take up
Reiki? Simon Treselyan is giving Master attunements in the King's Chamber in
May.

Egyptologists such as Bob Brier (author of The Murder of Tutankhamen) and
Bassam El Shamma (who presented his well-argued theory of a second Sphinx at
Giza ) have managed to do provocative, innovative work while maintaining
excellent relations with the Supreme Council of Antiquities. Bassam related
how he never has any problem seeing those in authority, who operate what he
called an "open door policy". Is it any wonder that so many of those from
the alternative camp have such problems when they insist on scaling the
Great Pyramid, taking secret video cameras into the King's Chamber and
generally acting like they own the place?

The fact remains, however, that the monuments of ancient Egypt have thrown
up enough `impossible' artefacts and anomalous data to give even the most
dedicated Fortean a perpetual headache. Bowls and vases (which could only
have been cast or machined) of diorite, basalt, quartz and granite, smelted
iron evidence of tobacco and coca plants in mummies amazingly precise
geodetic measurements advanced astronomical knowledge water weathering on
the Sphinx and, of course, the actual Pyramids themselves. Writers and
engineers have suggested, among other marvels, evidence of ultrasonic
drilling, lathes, electroplating, sonic levitation and electromagnetic
cranes.

More pyramid schemes in Fortean Times issue 112

Image:Charles Walker Collection/E.Giillian (Image Manipulation)