-Caveat Lector-

John Adams (1735-1826)
2nd President of the United States
" As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense
founded on the Christian religion ...."

Article 11, Treaty of Peace and Friendship between the United States and the
Bey and Subjects of Tripoli of Barbary.
As I understand the Christian religion, it was, and is, a revelation. But how
has it happened that millions of fables, tales, legends, have been blended
with both Jewish and Christian revelation that have made them the most bloody
religion that has ever existed?"

Letter to F.A. Van der Kamp, Dec. 27, 1816
" Indeed, Mr. Jefferson, what could be invented to debase the ancient
Christianism, which Greeks, Romans, Hebrews, and Christian factions, above
all the Catholics, have not fraudulently imposed upon the public? Miracles
after miracles have rolled down in torrents, wave succeeding wave in the
Catholic church, from the Council of Nice, and long before, to this day."

To Jefferson, Dec. 3, 1813

Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
American scientist, diplomet, writer
"I wish it (Christianity) were more productive of good works ... not holy day
keeping, sermon hearing ... of making long prayers, filled with flatteries
and compliments despised by wise men, and much less capable of pleasing
Deity."

Works, Vol. VII p.75
"The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason."

Poor Richard, 1758
"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches."

Ibid.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects of
Christianity, we shall find few that have not in turns been persecutors, and
complainers of persecution. The primitive Christians thought persecution
extremely wrong in Pagans, but practiced it on one another. The first
Protestants of the Church of England blamed persecution in the Romish church,
but practiced it on the Puritans. They found it wrong in Bishops, but fell
into the practice both here (England) and in New England."

Ibid.

Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
3rd President of the United States
"Is uniformity attainable? Millions of innocent men, women, and children,
since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined,
imprisioned ; yet we have not advanced on inch towards uniformity. What has
been the effect of coercion? To make one half the world fools, and the other
half hypocrites. To support roguery and error all over the earth."

Notes on Virginia
"They (the christian clergy) believe that any portion of power confided to
me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly:
for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility to every form of
tyranny over the mind of man.

To Sr. Benjamin Rush, 1800
"On the dogmas of religion, as distinguished from moral principles, all
mankind, from the beginning of the world to this day, have been quarreling,
fighting, burning and torturing one another, for abstractions unintelligible
to themselves and to all others, and absolutely beyond the comprehension of
the human mind."

To Carey, 1816

George Washington (1732-1799)
1st Elected President of the United States
"The United States is in no manner founded on Christian principle."

Treaty of Tripoli