-Caveat Lector-

Friday June 25 6:02 PM ET

Clinton Says Misspoke On China Spying Scandal

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Clinton said Friday he misspoke earlier
this year when he said no security breaches occurred at U.S. nuclear
research laboratories during his administration.

A congressional report last month said China had acquired U.S. secrets about
seven nuclear weapons and the neutron bomb through 20 years of espionage.
China has denied it stole U.S. nuclear secrets.

``First of all, there has been a 20-year problem with lax security at the
labs,'' Clinton said at a press briefing. ``And what I said was that I
didn't suspect that any actual breaches of security had occurred during my
tenure.''

But since he made that statement, it had been revealed that Los Alamos
National Laboratory scientist Wen Ho Lee, who was fired in March, downloaded
information from classified computers into his personal computers, Clinton
said. Lee has not been charged with any crime.

``That's something we know now that I didn't know then,'' Clinton said.

``But I think my choice of wording was poor. What I should have said was I
did not know of any specific instance of espionage, because I think that
we've been suspicious all along,'' Clinton said. ``I have to acknowledge I
think I used a poor word there,'' he added.

``We did not have any specific instance, as we now do, of the off-loading of
the computer,'' Clinton said.

On March 19, Clinton said if China stole U.S. nuclear secrets it did not
happen on his watch.

``To the best of my knowledge, no one has said anything to me about any
espionage which occurred by the Chinese against the labs during my
presidency,'' Clinton said in March.

``And if I have misstated this in any way because I don't remember
something, then I will tell you that. But I don't believe that I have
forgotten,'' he said then.
--
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with

the song still in them. - Henry David Thoreau