-Caveat Lector-

>From Wash (DC) Post

<<Excuse me ... did not the Prez make some comment about having to figure out
*how* to explain to his European 'friends' *why* the American Government didn't
pass more gun control? >>

"" "Europeans are so sanctimonious about their gun-control laws," said Jim
Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police and a former ATF
official.  "But their shock at our rate of gun deaths doesn't keep them from
making guns. ... It's ironic that the money goes back to those countries." ""

> Exporters of Guns Flock to U.S.
>
> By Sharon Walsh
> Washington Post Staff Writer
> Monday, June 28, 1999; Page A1
>
> As increasingly restrictive gun laws are enacted in major industrialized
> countries, gunmakers around the globe are flocking to the biggest and least
> regulated gun market in the world – the United States.
>
> At least a dozen entities with familiar names in the United States, from
> historic Smith & Wesson and Winchester to Beretta and Glock, are owned by
> foreign companies, many of which are legally constrained from selling in their
> own countries many of the guns they produce. But as countries overseas
> increasingly have cracked down on gun sales at home, they have not passed
> similar laws regarding exports.
>
> Just more than half of the 1.7 million handguns made or imported in the United
> States came from foreign companies or were made by their subsidiaries, according
> to 1997 figures from individual companies and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and
> Firearms.
>
> Gun industry officials say they are simply selling their products in the best
> possible market.
>
> "Companies invest where there are markets, and the U.S. is one of the few places
> in the world where gun ownership proliferates," said Wendy Cukier, a professor
> of business and justice studies at Ryerson Polytechnic University in Toronto who
> has written about differences in international gun laws. "That doesn't change
> the fact that Americans decide the level of gun ownership they'll tolerate."
>
> Jeff Reh, Beretta U.S.A. Corp.'s general counsel, said the U.S. subsidiary is
> responsible only for marketing guns here. "It's not hypocritical for a company
> to obey the laws of the country it sells in," he said of the differences in gun
> laws in the United States and Italy. "It doesn't mean the company agrees the law
> is logical. It just means it's acting as a good corporate citizen."
>
> "Some countries choose to have stricter gun laws. ... We think that's
> unfortunate," said Travis Hall, public relations manager for Browning and U.S.
> Repeating Arms Co., which owns the license to make Winchester firearms. Browning
> and Winchester are sister companies owned by Fabrique Nationale Group, an entity
> of the Belgian government. Many of their guns are made in Japan, where it is
> virtually impossible for a private citizen to own a gun.
>
> Beretta U.S.A., with U.S. headquarters in Accokeek, Md., is a subsidiary of the
> Italian gun company P. Beretta S.p.A. Glock Inc., one of the biggest providers
> of guns to U.S. police departments, is an offshoot of an Austrian company.
> SIGArms Inc., an importer of handguns in New Hampshire, is a division of Swiss
> Industrial Group, which imports from Switzerland and Germany. Each of those
> countries has more restrictive gun laws than the United States.
>
> "One of the things that isn't understood about the gun business in this country
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.