-Caveat Lector-

]

Yahoo Now Owns ALL Copyrights on All the Contents of 3.5 million GeoCities
Websites for All Times

Computers/Internet News Keywords: YAHOO, COPYRIGHT, GEOCITIES, THEFT,
UNDERHANDED, DESPICABLE
Source: World Net Daily/Wired News
Published: 3:00 a.m. 29.Jun.99.PDT Author: by Declan McCullagh
Posted on 06/30/1999 11:06:18 PDT by Sniffer

For Educational and Discussion Purposes Only!
Yahoo: Your House Is My House

If you're a GeoCities homesteader, be warned: Your Web site is no longer
your own.

Yahoo, which launched its Yahoo-GeoCities site Monday, says it owns all Web
pages, articles, and images on member sites and has "irrevocable" rights to
them for all time.

This presents a problem for those GeoCities members who have painstakingly
assembled large sites with dozens, even hundreds, of pages of valuable
material. See also: Yahoo Gobbles Up GeoCities
"Somebody please tell me that this does not mean that Yahoo is demanding
the rights to a large portion of my professional writing and photography if
I use my Web site there," complained Tracy Marks, who estimates that she
has 600 Web pages and 23 MB of files on GeoCities.

To create or update GeoCities pages, members must agree to a contract that
gives Yahoo broad rights over their intellectual property. Under its terms
of service, publishers must give Yahoo a "royalty-free, perpetual,
irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable right and license to
use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works
from, distribute, perform and display such Content" in any form or media.

Yahoo defends the terms in the contract, saying it's trying to prevent
itself from being sued over copyright infringements and wants the ability
to promote its service. Consumer advocates say Yahoo has gone too far.

"It's a bad idea. People don't read the fine print on these contracts.
People will give up intellectual property to Yahoo without understanding
what they're getting into," said Jamie Love of the Ralph Nader-affiliated
Consumer Project on Technology.

"People have made investments by promoting their site and people start to
link to them. They're changing the rules in midstream," Love said. Legal
experts say that it's likely Yahoo will change its mind.

"I bet that once it comes to light, they'll modify it. They can't get away
with it. They'd have people leaving in droves," said David Post, a law
professor at George Mason University who teaches intellectual property law.

"My prediction is that Yahoo will say, 'That's not what we intended. We
don't really want to do all these things with their content. We had it as
an insurance policy,'" Post said.

Some scholarly journals have standardized similar contracts that are even
more restrictive: They require authors to give up all rights to the
publication.

But as authors began to want to post their writings on their Web sites,
journals have started to become more flexible. Yahoo will let users keep
their existing GeoCities pages under the old contract, but customers cannot
modify their site until they agree to the revised terms of service.

Some other Web page-hosting services have similar contracts. Tripod, which
is owned by the parent company of Wired News, requires its users to grant
it "a royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, worldwide,
unrestricted license to use, copy, modify, transmit, distribute, and
publicly perform or display the submitted Member Web Page."

Yahoo is becoming deceitful, underhanded, and greedy. This should be a wake
up call for people not to deal with them or GeoCities. I pity those poor
people with large investments of time, effort, and energy in their websites
located at GeoCities. They have to move out and relocate in a hurry! How
mean, rotten, despicable, and unpleasant of Yahoo.

http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a377a5c9a06db.htm