-Caveat Lector-

THIS MODERN WORLD
by Tom Tomorrow

This week: RANDOM SCAPEGOATS for the LITTLE MASSACRE*

* A public service for our friends in the N.R.A. who have been
casting about desperately for anything to blame other than the
ready availability of high-powered weaponry.

1. The disappointing new batch of animated TV shows.

  Guy #1: If the killers were anticipating a reprise of the deft,
   insouciant satire of the Simpsons...
  Guy #2: ...the heavy-handed shtick of THESE shows might have
   driven them over the edge!

2. The privatization of Social Security.

  Guy #1: How can the politicians even CONSIDER tying the fate of our
   nation's elderly and poor to the vagaries of the stock market?
  Guy #2: It's enough to drive ANYONE mad!

3. Tinky Winky, the GAY TELETUBBY.

  Guy #1: The cultural impact of this seemingly innocuous character
   should not be underestimated!
  Guy #2: Who knows what OTHER subliminal messages he may be
   disseminating?

4. The incessant blather of the PUNDITOCRACY.

  Guy #1: All they do is talk and talk and TALK!
  Guy #2: Cokie -- Sam -- the beltway boys -- and all those right-
   wing blonde chicks -- I can't get their voices out of my HEAD!

5. And of course, the old fallbacks -- BLACK TRENCHCOATS, VIDEOGAMES
    and MARILYN MANSON...

  Guy #1: Not that it makes much sense to blame the deaths of 15
   people on clothing and musicians...
  NRA Guy: Hey, guys -- anything that draws attention away from
   the GUNS is fine with ME!

Used without permission.  So, su.mi ...