....a benefit/subsidy protection racket!

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I BEG TO DIFFER WITH YOU, BUT AS A STAUNCH REPUBLICAN ALL MY LIFE, AND A
PROUD VETERAN,  I DO NOT BELIEVE IN SPREADING LIES AND GROSS
MISREPRESENTATIONS!!!!

THE QUOTES YOU HAVE SENT OUT ARE NOT THOSE OF THE TRAITOR AL GORE, BUT THEY
ARE THE QUOTES OF OUR FORMER VICE-PRESIDENT DAN QUAYLE!!!!!!!!!!!  As
embarrasing as it is to admit he is our, we have to take responsibility for
it.

Thankfully we have many other great options in the party.
*********

"Let me just tell you how thrilling it really is, and how, what a
challenge it is, because the real question for 1988 is whether we're
going to go forward to tomorrow or past to the -- to the back!" -- Vice
President Dan Quayle, 8/17/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

"I want to be Robin to Bush's Batman." -- Vice President Dan Quayle

"We should develop anti-satellite weapons because we could not have
prevailed without them in 'Red Storm Rising'."-- Vice President Dan
Quayle

"Republicans have been accused of abandoning the poor. It's the other
way around. They never vote for us." -- Vice President Dan Quayle,1988

"Bank failures are caused by depositors who don't deposit enough money
to cover losses due to mismanagement." -- Vice President Dan Quayle,
1988

"Are they taking DDT?" -- Quayle asking doctors at a Manhattan AIDS
clinic about their treatments of choice, 4/30/92 (reported in Esquire,
8/92, and NY Post early May 92)

"The best thing about rain forests is they never suffer from drought."--
Vice President Dan Quayle

"You always learn something by reading the classics. Particularly The
Prince. I go through and look at this from this intellectual point of
view. Machiavelli had these three classes of mind. The first class was
the person that was creative enough to be leader and be able to lead a
great nation without much help. The second class of mind was one that
wasn't creative but could take ideas, put people around him, and be able
to lead nations forward. And the third class of people didn't really
know much of anything. And they were the worst kind of leaders, because
not only were they not creative, but they didn't know what was right or
wrong, and they just sort of went by whatever they felt like.
I've tried to figure out where I am. I know I'm not the first because I
don't think I have the creativeness that Machiavelli talks about. If I
I'm somewhere between two and one."-- Senator Dan Quayle gives his
opinion of the book `The Prince', 9/28/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

"Our party has been accused of fooling the public by calling tax
increases 'revenue enhancement.' Not so. No one was fooled." -- Vice
President Dan Quayle, 1988

"Bobby Knight told me this: 'There is nothing that a good defense cannot
beat a better offense.' In other words a good offense wins." -- Vice
President Dan Quayle comparing the offensive capabilities of the Warsaw
Pact with the defensive system of NATO, 9/8/88 (reported in Esquire,
8/92)

"We expect them [Salvadoran officials] to work toward the elimination of
human rights." -- Vice President Dan Quayle

"I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and
democracy - but that could change."-- Vice President Dan Quayle, 5/22/89
(reported in Esquire, 8/92)

"I not going to focus on what I have done in the past what I stand for,
what I articulate to the American people. The American people will judge
me on what I am saying and what I have done in the last 12 years in the
Congress." -- Vice President Dan Quayle

"Who would have predicted... that Dubcek, who brought the tanks in in
Czechoslovakia in 1968 is now being proclaimed a hero in Czechoslovakia.
Unbelievable." -- Vice President Dan Quayle

"I can identify with steelworkers. I can identify with workers that have
had a difficult time." -- Vice President Dan Quayle addressing workers
at an Ohio steel plant,1988

"[I will never have] another Jimmy Carter grain embargo, Jimmy, Jimmy
Carter, Jimmy Carter grain embargo, Jimmy Carter grain embargo." -- Vice
President Dan Quayle during the Benson debate

"Lookit, I've done it their way this far and now it's my turn. I'm my
own handler. Any questions? Ask me ... There's not going to be any more
handler stories because I'm the handler ... I'm Doctor Spin."-- Vice
President Dan Quayle responding to press reports his aides having to, in
effect, "potty train" him

"I would guess that there's adequate low-income housing in this
country." -- Vice President Dan Quayle

"Let me just tell you how thrilling it really is, and how, what a
challenge it is, because the real question for 1988 is whether we're
going to go forward to tomorrow or past to the -- to the back!" -- Vice
President Dan Quayle, 8/17/88 (reported in Esquire, 8/92)

And his Greatest Hits:

"I was recently on a tour of Latin America, and the only regret I have was
that I didn't study Latin harder in school so I could converse with those
people."
                         -- J. Danforth Quayle

"Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is IN the
Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is
United States that is an island that is right here."-Vice President Dan
Quayle, in Hawa

"What a terrible thing to have lost one's mind. Or not to have a mind at
all. How true that is." -- Vice President Dan Quayle winning friends
while speaking to the United Negro College Fund, 5/9/89 (reported in
Esquire, 8/92, and the NY Times, 12/9/92).This gem has been added to
Bartlett's `Familiar Quotations'.

"You all look like happy campers to me. Happy campers you are, happy
campers you have been, and, as far as I am concerned, happy campers you
will always be." -- Vice President Dan Quayle, to the American Samoans,
whose capital Quayle pronounces "Pogo Pogo"

 "Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts."
                 -- Vice President Dan Quayle

 "Mars is essentially in the same orbit... Mars is somewhat the same
distance
from the Sun, which is very important. We have seen pictures where there are
canals, we believe, and water. If there is water, that means there is
oxygen.
If oxygen, that means we can breathe."
                 -- Vice President Dan Quayle, 8/11/89

 "Murphy Brown is doing better than I am.  At least she knows she still has
job next year."
                 -- Vice President Dan Quayle, 8/18/92

 "The American people would not want to know of any misquotes that Dan
Quayle
may or may not make."
                 --  Vice President Dan Quayle

Attention ONElist list owners.
http://www.onelist.com
We've just added a "NO ATTACHMENTS" option.  See homepage for details.