-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 07/03/1999 3:41:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< According to the survey, nearly two-thirds of the public thinks
 the press should not be allowed to probe the private lives of
 public officials. And shrinking numbers of respondents think the
 news media should be allowed to endorse political candidates,
 report government secrets or use hidden cameras. >>

I must belong to the other third.  I didn't think it was right for the press
to dig out every sex act that Clinton ever got a chance at, but now that they
have set the  precedent, I want them to continue.  I want to know everything
about everyone.  Until the Republicans told me (over, and over, and over, and
again over) how important it was that I know that any candidate for the
presidency of the United States had experience with illegal drugs, had a
mistress (how much he paid his mistress), what the mistress thought of him,
had sex outside of marriage, and if and how he might have been in the armed
services, I didn't realize how important it was that I have full detail on
these matters.  I want it all.  I want to know if he sassed a teacher in
fourth grade.   Let's see.  Now looking for ethics in the press is a really
tough job, but we do have Ivins and Hightower.   Prudy