-Caveat Lector-

In a message dated 99-07-07 00:33:38 EDT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>What's truly amazing is that so many people took at face value, and
>continue to take at face value, the CDC's word that HIV is the cause of
>AIDS, even though it does not meet Koch's Postulates.

Amazing that anyone should take the CDC seriously.  One of my projects in
SocSci around 1990, back when I was getting my degree, debunked the CDC's
statistics on the "heterosexual risk of AIDS" and concluded that the stats
were obviously skewed -- in actuality the average non-needle-using
heterosexual was more likely to be killed by a meteorite than contract AIDS
through sex.  Fortuitously, just as I was typing the final draft of my paper,
the local newspaper published an item revealing that the CDC figures
had long been deliberately exaggerated due to political pressure from
conservatives in the Reagan White House, especially the Surgeon General
(Bork) who was running his
own agenda, promoting "safe sex is ABSTINENCE" for the Moral Majority
contingent.
When "science" (esp. health) becomes policitized, "science" becomes
un-scientific.