Henry Holt and Company
115 W. 18th St.
New York, NY 10011
ISBN 0-8050-1138-2
272 pps — out-of-print/one edition
--[18]--

18

"Contamination"

My paid relationship with the Dunlap Committee ended on June 30, 1979. It
seemed clear to me that enough evidence had been gathered to, guarantee
acquittals somewhere down the line, and I didn't want to continue to draw a
salary draining money from people who already had sacrificed a great deal for
Max.

I had no intention, however, of abandoning the investigation until Robison
and Dunlap were cleared, and I promised to make myself available, with or
without the committee, to pursue any new leads.

Body and soul were kept together financially by working for Vlassis's busy
law firm, especially on cases involving the Navajo reservation, and for a
young, dedicated attorney in Flagstaff named Michael Stuhff. His clientele
also consisted largely of Native Americans, and many of this compassionate
lawyer's legal services were pro bono.

In the years that followed, Stuhff became one of my most valued friends, and
we collaborated on several cases, including the U.S. Senate's impeachment of
Judge Harry Claiborne, and the court-martial of Marine Sergeant Clayton
Lonetree.

Terri Lee and I continued to work hand in hand. Through Stuhff, she began
teaching Navajos the ins and outs of legal research, and I conducted
paralegal classes—how to conduct investigations, take statements, process
evidence, etc. We felt it important that these Native Americans be well
versed on procedures needed to protect their people's oft-trampled rights.

The Tribal Council paid expenses for six young Navajos at a time to travel to
Phoenix, stay in a motel, and attend the courses we held in our East
Camelback apartment.

These were good times for Terri Lee and me. We were engrossed in satisfying
endeavors and enjoyed almost everything together: going to movies and
watching TV, romantic dinners, tending what grew into a mininursery of
plants, and long late-night rides into the eternal desert. She and Willie
Nelson sang "On the Road Again" as soft white light streamed through the
moonroof, bathing our souls in what Rod McKuen called gentle.

But Robison and Dunlap, rotting on hellish death row, were never far from my
thoughts, and on some nights, when my mood bordered on the murderous, I took
drives alone, my mind clouded no matter how clear the starry skies as I
pondered their fate.

What the hell took the supreme court so long?

Little things upset me. I had read about two of those justices attending a
Paradise Valley social bash, enjoying cocktails and a sumptuous menu. I tried
to tell myself, Lake, judges have a right to relax, too, but still I worked
myself into a rage over their wasting time at lavish parties instead of
rectifying the Dunlap/ Robison horror.

July turned into August. September came and went. October, lost. Still no
word from the men draped in the robes of justice.

And what in hell were the police and prosecution doing?

It was like a broken record: "The case is an ongoing investigation. We expect
more arrests."

Ongoing? Sure: it was going on, and on, and on. Like a transmission locked in
neutral, the motor ran but the machine did not move.

>From the start the state had adopted "ongoing investigation/ more arrests" as
an unofficial motto.

OCTOBER 31, 1977

In his summation to the Robison/Dunlap trial Jury, William Schafer III said,
"We do not have all the conspirators yet, but we will have." Schafer
virtually pled with the jury to return guilty verdicts on Robison and Dunlap,
hinting that these two, when faced with the gas chamber, would cave in, as
Adamson had.

NOVEMBER 1, 1977

Schafer vowed, "We haven't got all the conspirators yet, but we will."

NOVEMBER 7, 1977

Jon Sellers: "Investigation on this case goes on all the time. It slowed down
a bit recently because of the trial, but we were still documenting
information. Now, we'll probably sit down with Mr. Schafer and sift through
the information. We'll probably resume the investigation one hundred percent.
I'm glad this part of it is over."

Phoenix Police Chief Lawrence Wetzel: "Now that the trial is at an end, there
will be a review to determine what directions further investigation should
take."

Attorney General Bruce Babbitt: "Mr. Schafer, myself, and the police believe
there were others involved. The file remains open. It will be the subject of
a continuing, intensive investigation by the Phoenix police and this office.
That investigation will not cease until everything humanly possible has been
done to bring to justice everybody involved in this outrageous and depraved
act."

APRIL 5, 1979

Phoenix Police Captain Jerry Kimmell: "Two detectives, Mike Butler and Ed
Flores, will continue to investigate the Bolles murder. It will continue to
be their number-one priority, with both men authorized to work on the case up
to one hundred percent of their time."

JUNE 3, 1979

Phoenix Police Organized Crime Bureau Detective Mike Butler: "It's still an
open investigation."

OCTOBER 3, 1979

Attorney General Robert Corbin: "We're not certain about organized crime
participation. There are always things being said that are being
investigated."

Police, government officials, politicians. One after another took turns
jumping up on the soapbox, but no matter how many words tumbled out of their
mouths, it consistently boiled down to the same pat phrases: The case is
still being investigated; more indictments are expected.

Well, the state might not be turning up anything in its "ongoing
investigation," but our little team, operating with a fraction of the state's
resources and manpower, was uncovering a whole string of leads. The latest
came when Don Devereux discovered the existence of Terrell Bounds, a state
employee who had been stationed in the information booth at the State Capitol
on the day of the Bolles bombing. Ms. Bounds said she fielded a telephone
call at approximately 10 A.M. (the bomb exploded at 11:34) from a woman
caller who mentioned a bomb threat on an unidentified reporter's car. The
caller claimed to be the secretary of County Sheriff Paul Blubaum, but a
later police investigation ruled this out.

Terrell Bounds wrote the time of the call on her log as 10 A.M. She referred
the caller to the Capitol press room and remembered being "shocked" upon
returning from lunch that afternoon to learn Bolles had been bombed.

Who made this call to Terrell Bounds? The police showed little interest and
never found out. Worse, when Devereux tried to find out, Detective Michael
Butler instructed Bounds not to cooperate.

The Progress wanted to learn if Ms. Bounds could identify the caller through
its extensive collection of voice tapes related to the Bolles case. Butler
said Bounds should instead listen to police-controlled voice tapes, but never
managed to get around to playing them for her.

The police not only "purged" information and refused to follow up on leads,
they squashed attempts made by other people trying to get at the truth. I had
called Ted Krum of the Rodeway Inn at Lake Havasu to check on John Adamson's
stay there immediately, after the bombing. The reservation and plane fare for
Adamson had been paid by Neal Roberts. But Krum refused to talk to me, saying
Jon Sellers left instructions to obtain clearance from him before discussing
the case with anyone.

Even Molly Ivins got stonewalled. She tracked Eileen Roberts—Neal's secretary
during the crucial days leading up to and right after the bombing—to Boston.
Eileen Roberts had overheard Neal Roberts discuss raising money for Adamson's
defense, and a Roberts conversation about how "Bolles got what he deserved."

Trying to find out who Roberts had talked with, Molly scheduled an
appointment with Eileen Roberts, but the witness cancelled the meeting.

"I had told Eileen," Molly Ivins said, "that I wanted to show her some
pictures she might or might not recognize.

"Eileen told me that, apparently for years now, she has had .an agreement
with William Schafer that when anyone approaches her about anything connected
with the Bolles case, she gets in touch with him.

"She had done so after I had called and set up the appoint-ment. And she said
that Schafer had advised her not to talk to me.

"One reason Schafer had given Eileen Roberts was that she might be a witness
in a future trial. And there was some implication that her testimony in a
future trial would be tainted by talking to a newspaper person, which I find
absurd."

Future trial? My heart briefly fluttered with hope when I mistakenly thought
Schafer might be referring to Robison and Dunlap. But, no. Evidently, he
still clung to the fantasy of dragging Kemper Marley to the dock.

Schafer confirmed that he had advised Eileen Roberts to steer clear of the
New York Times reporter. He said he wanted to protect possible evidence from
"contamination," which he claimed could come from contact with people
untrained in law enforcement procedures.

Ridiculous. It was the very people "trained in law enforcement procedures"
who had engineered the muck and mire the police and prosecution were now
trying to extract themselves from by warning off witnesses like Terrell
Bounds, Ted Krum, and Eileen Roberts.

Devereux called William Schafer, saying that since the assistant attorney
general didn't want Molly Ivins showing pictures to Eileen Roberts, he
presumed Schafer would run them by her.

Devereux reported Schafer's response in the Scottsdale Progress: "Schafer ...
is unaware of any intention by the state of Arizona to run its own photo
lineup before Eileen Roberts in an attempt to identify the people in
question."

Perhaps most shocking of all, Detective Mike Butler asked the Progress and
Tim Ryan of KPNX-TV news to stop showing photos to potential witnesses. Ryan
and the Progress complied, based on Butler's promise that the police would do
the job. Of course, they never did.

Capitalizing on the media-government trench warfare over who could best serve
truth and justice for the sake of Don Bolles, Governor Bruce Babbitt launched
a radio campaign in his bid for reelection. The former attorney general's
voice flooded air waves with boastful reminders of how he had played a major
role in solving that blot on fair Phoenix, the Bolles murder.

I had to hear this to believe it. Babbitt's radio ads actually urged the
Arizona electorate to keep him as governor because of his work convicting
Robison and Dunlap!

The supreme court justices took a month's "recess" without deciding on the
appeal, the start of their vacations coinciding with a visit I paid Robison
and Dunlap. The contrast hit me hard: for one group, fun-filled romps on open
sandy beaches or following the bouncing ball over dewy lush greens in early
morning rounds of golf, dining on gourmet meals, and freedom to go anywhere
anytime; for my clients, one hour a day of supervised exercise inside the
bleak prison yard, watching still another sixlegged creature scavenge through
filthy stone cubicles, choking down the same old slop, and only one exit-the
gas chamber.

I didn't return to the apartment and Terri Lee when I left the prison that
late afternoon. I don't remember where I went. I must have driven aimlessly
for many hours, my thoughts dark, fading to black.

I found myself early the next morning behind the Clarendon Hotel, right
alongside the parking space where more than three years ago six sticks of
dynamite had reduced a new Datsun to a contorted heap of scrap metal.

I got out of my car and looked at the spot. The parking lot was as quiet as
my cemetery in Florence-all of Phoenix, the air itself, sat as eerily still
as the deceptive calm before a hurricane.

My mind flashed back through all that had happened to Robison and Dunlap, to
Phoenix, yes, and especially to Don Bolles.

As I focused on the reporter himself, I suddenly fantasized that he stood
next to me in the filtered golden light of dawn.

"Bolles," I said softly, "for Christ's sake, give me some help."

pps.192-198
--[cont]--
Aloha, He'Ping,
Om, Shalom, Salaam.