---- The Progressive Response   9 July 1999   Vol. 3, No. 24
Editor:
Martha Honey Compiled by: Tim McGivern and Erik Leaver
---------
---- The Progressive Response (PR) is a weekly service of
Foreign Policy
in Focus (FPIF), a joint project of the Interhemispheric
Resource Center
and the Institute for Policy Studies. We encourage written
the opinions expressed in PR.
---------
----

Table of Contents

I. Updates and out-Takes

*** THE PINOCHET CASE: AN END TO IMPUNITY? ***
by Sarah Anderson

*** U.S. DEMOCRATIZATION ASSISTANCE ***
by Elizabeth Cohn

II. Comments

*** THE VANITY AND LAZINESS OF REPORTERS ***

*** GRATITUDE ***

*** WAS IT WORTH IT? ***

---------
---- I. Updates and Out-Takes

*** THE PINOCHET CASE: AN END TO IMPUNITY? ***
by Sarah Anderson

On October 16, 1998, the world was stunned to learn of the arrest in
London of Augusto Pinochet, the former Chilean dictator who had become an
international symbol of ironclad impunity. After numerous failed legal
battles, Pinochet remained in British custody as of June 1999, facing
possible extradition to Spain, where a judge has indicted him for "crimes
against humanity." Even if the Spanish authorities fail to put Pinochet on
trial, their efforts must be appreciated as a historic struggle, not only
against Pinochet, but in the broader fight for international human rights.
Here are a few of the most important implications of the case:

1. Globalization of Human Rights

This is the first case in which a national government is charging a former
head of state with crimes against humanity. A 1985 Spanish law enables
foreigners to be tried in Spain for "crimes against humanity" even though
the crimes were committed outside the country. Under this type of
"universal jurisdiction" perpetrators of crimes against humanity,
including genocide, terrorism, and torture, are considered "enemies of
all." One stipulation in the Spanish law is that the case must not have
been prosecuted in any other country. The Pinochet case meets this
condition because the former dictator granted himself immunity from
prosecution in Chile.

2. Broader Definition of Genocide

The Spanish judges in charge of the case against Pinochet are attempting
to broaden the definition of "genocide" by arguing that Pinochet is guilty
of this crime for slaughtering more than 3,000 people--not because of
their race or ethnicity but because of their politics. All of the victims
were labeled "subversives."

3. Bad Dreams for Dictators

The case has unleashed numerous attempts to hold other dictators
accountable for their crimes. For example, in France, the courts are
considering "Pinocheting" former Haitian ruler Jean Claude Duvalier.
Laurent Kabila from the Congo sent an advance team to Brussels to get it
in writing that he would not be "Pinocheted" upon his arrival in that
country. Only time will tell if Pinochet's fate will make future leaders
think twice before committing these types of atrocities.

4. Revealing the Need for U.S. Truth and Reconciliation

The U.S. government has failed to take a strong position on the Pinochet
case. Although Spanish authorities requested in 1997 that the U.S.
government submit materials from its files related to Pinochet, it wasn't
until June 30 (just last week) that the U.S. government released the first
installment of newly declassified documents related to human rights abuses
in Chile from 1973-1978. The release was in response to a February 1, 1999
"tasker" from the National Security Council requesting review and
declassification of relevant documents from the CIA, National Archives,
and the Departments of Defense, State, and Justice.

The release consists of over 5,800 documents, including approximately
5,000 from the Department of State, 490 from the CIA, 200 from the
National Archives, 100 from the FBI, and 60 from the Department of
Defense.

Although the Clinton Administration is to be applauded for taking action,
there are strong reasons for concern about CIA compliance. As noted, only
500 documents in this installment were from the CIA. Based on what is
already known about relations between the CIA and the Pinochet regime,
there are sure to be thousands more in the Agency's files. Unfortunately,
the NSC tasker contains language that gives the Agency a loophole by
requesting the review of only those documents that are subject to
disclosure under the Freedom of Information Act. This allows the CIA to
exempt many of its "operational files" from even being searched.

At the request of the Justice Department (DOJ), the government withheld
key documents related to the 1976 murders by Pinochet's agents of
Institute for Policy Studies (IPS) colleagues Orlando Letelier and Ronni
Karpen Moffitt. The DOJ claimed that this was necessary so as not to
jeopardize what they claim is an "ongoing investigation." If true, this
means that the U.S. government may actually be considering re-opening the
Letelier-Moffitt case, charging Pinochet himself with conspiracy to
murder. The U.S. should be pressed to demonstrate their seriousness by
providing more information on the status of this investigation and a
timetable for progress.

Because of the overwhelming number of documents released, a thorough
analysis must be made at this time. According to National Security Archive
analyst Peter Kornbluh, who has spent the most time reviewing the
documents, there are a number of interesting cables from the State
Department and CIA detailing atrocities carried out by the Pinochet
dictatorship, some new details related to the murders of Charles Horman
and Frank Teruggi, and some interesting information on disagreements
within the U.S. government on how to deal with Pinochet. In the next few
days, Kornbluh will be posting more details of his analysis on the
following web site: http://www.seas.gwu.edu/nsarchive/. All the documents
are available for viewing at the National Archives facility in College
Park, MD. By July 15, all the released government documents will be posted
 on the State Department web site: http://foia.state.gov.

Sarah Anderson is a fellow at the Institute for Policy Studies.

Portions of this article were taken from "Pinochet Watch," an ezine with
news and action alerts on an as-needed basis over the next year as we
continue to mobilize support for strong U.S. action in support of the
Spanish case against Pinochet and for the re-opening in the U.S. of the
Letelier-Moffitt murder case, focusing on Pinochet. To subscribe, write
to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
----

*** U.S. DEMOCRATIZATION ASSISTANCE ***
by Elizabeth Cohn

The Clinton administration, even more than its predecessors, has
emphasized that free markets and a strong private sector are integral to
democracy. Indeed, the Clinton administration was the first to use the
term "market democracies." However, this definitional linkage of free
market policies with political democracy is often more theoretical than
real. Economic globalization, privatization, and free trade tend to widen
the gap between rich and poor, and this can exacerbate crime, corruption,
and instability, thus undermining efforts to build democratic
institutions. As a result, U.S. democracy programs may have a negative
impact on a country's political democratization processes.

Historically the U.S. has had a very ethnocentric concept of democracy
that focuses almost exclusively on elections-even if these elections occur
in highly volatile and controlled conditions, as in El Salvador in the
1980s or Cambodia in the 1990s. The U.S. employs a limited definition of
democracy, modeled on the American form of government: free and fair
elections, the protections guaranteed by the American Bill of Rights, and
competition among institutions in civil society.

In Tanzania, Kenya, and several African countries for instance, the push
for multiparty elections has often fanned domestic tensions through the
rapid proliferation of ethnically, regionally, or religiously based
political parties. In recent years policymakers have correctly begun to
recognize that multiparty elections are necessary but not sufficient for
creating a democracy. Indeed, democratically elected governments may rule
in an undemocratic manner, and this reality has led some observers to
caution that there may be a proliferation of "illiberal democracies," such
as in Peru, Romania, Bangladesh, and Ghana.

The democracy buzz words today are "strengthening civil society," which
independent analysts have described as supporting a free press and free
speech, the right of NGOs and labor to organize, an independent judiciary,
and a civilian-controlled military. The need to strengthen civil
society--although not necessarily all these components--has now been
officially embraced by the Agency for International Development (AID), but
it is usually narrowly construed as building societies that embrace U.S.
values and U.S.-style democracy.

In 1995, President Clinton called democracy promotion "one of the central
pillars of the United States' security strategy." But democracy needs to
be promoted for its own sake, not simply as an instrument to further U.S.
security or economic interests. The U.S. can play a positive yet limited
role in supporting democratic processes in other countries, but only if
democracy assistance is delinked from furthering U.S. security and
economic interests. One way to accomplish this is for U.S. democracy
assistance to be channeled through multilateral and regional
organizations.

The U.S. government needs to recognize that democracy can take many forms,
and the U.S. political model should not be imposed on other countries.
Democracy could follow a social democratic model, as advanced by Social
Democratic parties in Europe, where social and economic rights are
regarded more seriously than they are in the United States. In this model
the government plays a stronger role in protecting people from the
excesses of the market and in ensuring a more equitable distribution of
resources. Indeed, any definition of democracy must include a lessening of
inequalities, since, in the long run, such inequalities undermine
democracy and can lead to a return to authoritarian government.

Policymakers should recognize that when the U.S. engages in "strengthening
civil society" it acts to further its interests, and that the furthering
of these U.S. interests is not necessarily in the best interests of
democratic development in the target country. If the U.S. government is
truly interested in promoting democracy, then it must be willing to accept
leaders and institutions supported by the country's own residents--even if
they are not favored by the United States. U.S. democracy programs should
be directed away from the new emphasis on strengthening civil society and
instead should be limited to technical support for elections and
campaigns, judiciaries, and other governmental institutions.

When possible, the U.S. should use international and regional
organizations, such as the United Nations and the Organization of American
States, for its democracy assistance. These international organizations
are better placed to address the democratization processes in other
countries without promoting a U.S. security or free trade agenda.
Isolationism should not be a policy alternative. In an interdependent
world, the U.S. government is rightly concerned about the political and
economic processes in other countries.

But U.S. policymakers must realize that emphasizing free markets and
privatization above all else destroys democracy's long-term prospects. AID
can play a positive role in democracy building by addressing socioeconomic
problems in poor countries and thus create a strong base for
democratization. Or AID can support human rights and reconciliation, as it
did with its $1.75 million funding of Guatemala's Historical Clarification
Commission in 1997 and 1998. However, AID should not be drawn into
advancing short-term U.S. policy interests.

The U.S. needs to recognize that building stable democratic institutions
takes time, as witnessed by America's own experience. Democracy programs
should be geared toward supporting democratic reforms--such as an
independent and well-trained judiciary, a civilian-controlled military,
and a multiparty electoral processes--over the long haul, recognizing
that, in the short run, these efforts may cause political unrest.

Elizabeth Cohn is the Director of the International and Intercultural
Studies Major at Goucher College.
----

II. Comments

*** THE VANITY AND LAZINESS OF REPORTERS ***

On Edward Herman's and Jeff Cohen's articles on the media's culpability in
pushing the bombing of Yugoslavia:

With all due respect to Mr. Herman and Mr. Cohen (as members of the media)
I can't help but feel that most American reporters are not only complicit
with the military on war matters but that they are not equipped with the
tools to decipher foreign politics, events, intrigues. Namely I'm
referring to what seems a pervasive lack of knowledge, acute logic, or a
sense of history among the media. I'd blame a lot of this on the
Communications schools most reporters graduate from. At many schools,
students take a passing  glance at history or literature courses. More
often they're involved with pre-professional communications courses in
marketing and such, or in mock reporting for college newspapers. In other
words, they spend 4 years primping for the camera instead of acquiring
knowledge. I make this sweeping assumption based on my own knowledge of
the top flight communications schools at Syracuse and Boston University
(I'm a grad of BU's school of Comm in 1990). At both schools, students
receive an education remarkably devoid of any substance, and beyond
freshman requirements they hardly step foot in any liberal arts course.
Rest assured these students go on to dominate American news media,
especially in television. ( I can count many among my fellow graduates).
At BU there were even classes on war reporting which included an
internship by which BU students traveled to Afghanistan and taught the
rebels propaganda methods. Our Dean was a former spy from East Germany and
a cold warrior. None of my peers protested (neither did I) at what was
such an obvious abrogation of the university's mission. We didn't know any
better. That's the most damning statement I can make.

Last month I attended the commencement for students of Loyola U (or
College) in Maryland. Andrea Mitchell was the guest speaker and she chose
to give a speech on Kosovo. Her understanding of the events there not only
reinforced my own perception of reporters but also astounded most in the
audience because of its utter silliness. I can't help but think Americans
are secretly bothered by the inanity in most of what they read. I think
our insistence on vanity (looking good in front of the camera) or else ego
(self-righteous indignation in print) has seriously corrupted time-honored
values for the media such as fairness, openness, and a devotion to truth.
More than for merely being complicit with the military, I fault our
reporters for sheer vanity and laziness.

Dimitri Anastasopoulos
----

*** GRATITUDE ***

Dear Progressive Response:

I think you're doing a great job and I particularly like the section
containing the various comments from readers at the end of the articles on

My only complaint is not having enough time to read all of your mailings!
But I guess that's my problem.

Bob O'Brien, Calif. Commission on Aging
Sacramento, Calif.

----

*** WAS IT WORTH IT? ***

One thing we can certainly depend on happening is the further
balkanization of Yugoslavia, which I am sure will happen quite rapidly.
There will be a peeling away of Montenegro, Sandjak, and Voivodina. In the
two latter cases, there will be some issue of "human rights."  Sandjak is
critical to linking Kosovo with Bosnia and Croatia. Voivodina--the
breadbasket and source of mineral wealth in Northern Serbia (Yugoslavia)
is vital to commerce ( it is on the Danube) and links with Hungary etc.

To say, "was it worth it?"  assumes that the stated official purpose
behind the attack was genuine--that the ends were correct but the means
may not have been worth it.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
----
----

The Progressive Response aims to provide timely analysis and opinion about
U.S. foreign policy issues. The content does not necessarily reflect the
institutional positions of either the Interhemispheric Resource Center or
the Institute for Policy Studies.

We're working to make the Progressive Response informative and useful, so
let us know how we're doing, via email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please put
"Progressive Response" in the subject line.

Please feel free to cross-post The Progressive Response elsewhere. We
apologize for any duplicate copies you may receive.
and follow the instructions.

For those readers without access to the www send an email message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words "join newusfp" in the body of
the message.

To unsubscribe, send an email message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
with the words "leave newusfp" in the body of the message.

Visit the Foreign Policy In Focus website,
http://www.foreignpolicy-infocus.org/briefs/ifbrfndx.html, for a complete
listing of In Focus briefs and text versions of the briefs. To order
policy briefs, our book Global Focus: A New Foreign Policy Agenda 1997-98,
or for more information contact the Interhemispheric Resource Center or
the Institute for Policy Studies.

IRC
Tom Barry
Co-director, Foreign Policy Project
Interhemispheric Resource Center (IRC)
Box 2178
Silver City, NM 88062-2178
Voice: (505) 388-0208
Fax: (505) 388-0619
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Martha Honey, Director
Peace and Security Program
Suite 1020
733 15th St., NW
Washington, DC 20005
Tel: 202-234-9382, ext. 232
Fax: 202-387-7915

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.