-Caveat Lector-

~~~~~~~~~~~~

> [...]

> 15,000 tons of ammonia.
>
> Thousands fled the city, coughing and complaining of burning
> eyes, stomach upsets and choking. The fires raged as long as 12
> hours. Nearly a third of the toxic chemicals went up in smoke,
> Mikovic said.
>
> "Every few minutes, Belgrade would call and ask, `Is the cloud
> coming our way?' " he said.
>
> In the confusion, Mikovic said, air raid sirens mistakenly
> sounded the warning for a pending nuclear attack, sparking a mass
> exodus.
>
> "It was utter chaos," Djuric said. "Anything on wheels was
> moving. We have a monthly 20-liter quota of petrol, and I used up
> 15 liters just to get out of the city."
>
> Avram Izrael, director of Belgrade's Disaster Warning Center,
> said the capital was spared when the wind changed direction and
> carried the toxic cloud in the direction of Romania. "But only
> God knows how many people may be affected in the years to come,"
> he said.
>
> Pancevo officials say the central government in Belgrade
> downplayed the situation, concerned that the war effort would be
> undermined.
>
> Ofelija Backovic, general manager of the Pancevo Radio and
> Television Network, said her radio and television stations
> remained on the air 24 hours a day throughout the war. But she
> said they were threatened with shutdowns five times for divulging
> "military secrets" by broadcasting details about the bomb damage.
>
> Even now, many officials are reluctant to talk about the damage.
> At the emergency clinic in the city center this week, doctors,
> who are state employees, declined requests for interviews.
>
> But local residents complain of respiratory difficulties, burning
> eyes, choking sensations and upset stomachs.
>
> "If you went there they simply told you, `Go home and rest. In a
> few days you'll be better,' " Djuric said. "After eight days of
> stomach aches and burning eyes, I was eating again."
>
> Curcin Dusan, a local lawyer, said highly toxic mercury seeped
> into the ground around the petrochemical complex.
>
> "That means it is going into the underground water supply, and
> our water is poisoned. Leaves in houseplants are going black and
> streaky, and people like me want to know when we buy vegetables
> where they came from.
>
> "Around Pancevo we have an agricultural community, but few people
> want to buy their produce. Still, the farmers are selling it. No
> one told them not to sell."
>
> Dusan says he has contacted lawyers abroad in hopes of filing a
> damage suit against the United States on behalf of the people of
> Pancevo.
>
> "What they did in Pancevo is a real war crime, and I will make
> them pay for it," he said.
>
> Down by the river, fisherman Djuric held out his sun-parched
> hand: "Come back, my friend, in 10 years. Then you will find half
> the people of Pancevo are dead, just like the fish."

Not against the people of Serbia?  To stop population
"cleansing"?  Bad maps?

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.