-Caveat Lector-

... these are ...

>From TheFreeRepublic

""Both Syria and Vietnam are scrambling to modernize their armed
forces in order to be able to repel massive air raids similar to
those carried out by NATO in Yugoslavia, according to an
official at Rosvooruzhenie.""

> Countries Race for Russian Weapons
>

> Foreign Affairs News Keywords: NATO
> Source: The St. Petersburg Times ( Russia ) Must Read
> Published: July 9, 1999 Author: Simon Saradzhyan
> Posted on 07/10/1999 05:52:19 PDT by Jzoback
>

> Countries Race for Russian Weapons
>
> By Simon Saradzhyan
> STAFF WRITER
>
> MOSCOW - Motivated by NATO's bombing campaign in Yugoslavia to
> upgrade their national defense systems, developing nations are
> making a beeline for the Russian arms market. Judging from
> preliminary figures and visits this week by several top-ranking
> foreign officials from Vietnam, Syria and Iraq, this year should
> prove to be a promising one for Russian arms trade.
>
> The first of the delegations to arrive was from Vietnam, last
> week. Defense Minister Pham van Tra, who was in town for a
> three-day visit, met his Russian counterpart Igor Sergeyev and
> top officials from the country's two largest arms mediators -
> Rosvooruzhenie, Russia's chief arms exporter, and Promexport.
>
> He was followed by Syrian President Hafez Assad, who came Monday
> to try to revive military cooperation with Russia. Assad, like
> the Vietnamese delegation, declined to comment on the details of
> Syria's proposed purchase, but news agencies reported he is
> seeking to buy as much as $2 billion in weaponry, including
> Russia's new MIG-29 SMT jet fighter.
>
> Both Syria and Vietnam are scrambling to modernize their armed
> forces in order to be able to repel massive air raids similar to
> those carried out by NATO in Yugoslavia, according to an official
> at Rosvooruzhenie. Russian-made fighters and air defense systems
> are most in demand, and their price tags - lower than western
> equivalents - are attractive to developing nations.
>
> "There has been a lot of talk about how Yugoslavia could have
> defended itself if it had enough S-300 [air defense] systems,"
> the official said in a recent phone interview.
>
> In addition to the MiG-29 fighters, Syria is also considering
> S-300 air defense systems. Damascus is also planning to buy spare
> parts for its aging fleet of Soviet-made fighters and armored
> vehicles. Soviet and Russian-made weaponry comprise 90 percent of
> Syria's arsenal.
>
> Assad was given a warm welcome in Moscow. Russian President Boris
> Yeltsin called him an "old friend" as top arms dealers stood by
> to take orders. The one potential snag in the deal is the
> question of Syria's $12 billion dollar debt to Russia, which
> dates back to Damascus' failure to pay for weapons purchased
> during the Soviet era. However, Russian Foreign Minister Igor
> Ivanov indicated this week that Mos cow is ready to put its
> demands for the Soviet-era debt on hold.
>
> Indeed, Russia appears eager to take advantage of the current
> post-Yugoslavia momentum to increase its position as a global
> arms trader. Prime Minister Sergei Stepashin said as much this
> week, when he announced that Russia plans to boost its weapons
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.