-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Damian B. Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> At 10:55 AM 7/9/99 -0700, Ric Carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >From: Damian B. Cooper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >> Gee.  I would love to.  But all the relevant stuff is suppressed
> >> or censored.
> >
> >Of course.  It's all a Conspiracy.  And all the information that you
> >*think* you know about The Conspiracy is controlled by The Conspiracy,
> >was fed to you so that you'd think the way you do; thus you're a pawn
> >of The Conspiracy, the same as all the rest of us.
>
> Duh?  This IS a 'Conspiracy Theory Research LIst', isn't it?
> Are suggesting that Conspiracy Theories are off topic?

Not at all - it's just that conspiracy theories [and religions] suffer
from a basic paradox.  If we assume that powerful conspiracies exist,
then intellectual honesty demands that we admit that we may have been
manipulated into thinking as we do about said conspiracies.  Belief in
conspiracies removes the possibility of certainty - if plotters COULD
control your data, then it could ALL be lies.

But we're drifting off-base here.  The discussion was: did Jews deserve
the Holocaust because they're mostly pro-Communist/secular?  I asked
for statistics to support such a claim, and I pointed out that strong
right-wing Jewish groups did and do exist.  But how do we count leftist
and rightist Jews?  Do we count all the Jews slaughtered by Nazis as
left-wing, all those slaughtered by Stalinists as right-wing, or is
that enumeration too absurd?  Try this: in any population, there are
minorities strongly polarized on political/social/religious/economic
issues, and majorities who don't give a good rat's ass.

I suggesting reading history, to your disdain, because I was too lazy
to expound on my point that people from a wide variety of ethnic and
religious backgrounds support left- and right-wing movements.  Well,
here goes.  Catholicism encompasses both the staunchly conservative/
reactionary Vatican power structure, and tending-to-Marxism Liberation
Theology activists.  Protestantism has left- and right-wing factions -
read the output of theologians from various seminaries - as does Islam,
Hinduism, almost any religious group.  And 'races' don't clump into any
ideological camps - look at any ethnic group, and you'll find a wide
range of doctrines.  Jews range all over the map: Marxists, JDL, pro-
and anti-Zionists, peasant farmers with no political inclinations, the
whole schmeer.  Ditto for Chinese, Native Americans, everybody.

BTW when I pronounce on topicality, I sign that pronouncement: "Ric
Carter, co-moderator, CTRL."  Without that signature, and a clearly
stated NOTICE or WARNING, I'm just another dewd expressing my views.

  Ric "if name calling of Jews is jew-baiting, and name calling
  of Reds [communists] is red-baiting, then is name calling of
  Aryans [the master race] master-baiting?" Carter, curious...