From
http://www.undp.org/hdro/

> [...]
> for profits. This year’s Report argues that globalization is not
> new, but that the present era of globalization, driven by
> competitive global markets, is outpacing the governance of
> markets and the repercussions on people.
>

> Characterized by “shrinking space, shrinking time and
> disappearing borders”, globalization has swung open the door to
> opportunities. Breakthroughs in communications technologies and
> biotechnology, if directed for the needs of people, can bring
> advances for all of humankind. But markets can go too far and
> squeeze the non-market activities so vital for human development.
> Fiscal squeezes are constraining the provision of social
> services. A time squeeze is reducing the supply and quality of
> caring labour. And an incentive squeeze is harming the
> environment.  Globalization is also increasing human insecurity
> as the spread of global crime, disease and financial volatility
> outpaces actions to tackle them.
>
> The Report recommends an agenda for action: reforms of global
> governance to ensure greater equity, new regional approaches to
> collective action and negotiation and national and local policies
> to capture opportunities in the global marketplace  and translate
> them more equitably into human advance.
>
> In addition to the ranking of 174 countries on the human
> development index (HDI), this year’s Report presents a new table
> on trends in human development from 1975 to 1997 for 79
> countries. This new table reveals that, overall, countries have
> made substantial progress in human development, but that the
> speed and extent of progress have been uneven.
>
> This Report also includes special contributions. Nobel laureate
> Amartya Sen describes the success of the human development index
> in bringing a human face to the assessment of development
> processes. Professor Paul Streeten gives a 10-year perspective on
> the Human Development Reports. And media magnate Ted Turner
> appeals for partnerships with the United Nations to face the new
> global challenges of our times.
>
> Human Development Report 1999 was prepared by a team of eminent
> economists and distinguished development professionals under the
> guidance of Richard Jolly, Special Adviser to the Administrator
> of UNDP, and Sakiko Fukuda-Parr, Director of the Human
> Development Report Office. The panel of consultants included
> Adebayo Adedeji, Philip Alston, Galal Amin, Lourdes Arizpe,
> Isabella Bakker, Yusuf Bangura, David Bigman, Bob Deacon, Meghnad
> Desai, Nancy Folbre, Stephany Griffith-Jones, Gerry Helleiner, K.
> S. Jomo, Azizur Rahman Khan, Martin Khor Kok Peng, Jong-Wha Lee,
> Michael Lipton, Nguyuru Lipumba, Raisul Awal Mahmood, Ranjini
> Mazumdar, Süle Özler, Theodore Panayotou, Alejandro Ramirez,
> Mohan Rao, Changyong Rhee, Ewa Ruminska-Zimny, Arjun Sengupta,
> Victor Tokman, Albert Tuijnman and John Whalley.
>

> The 1999 Human Development Report will be
> launched on the 12th of July in London, UK.

From
http://www.undp.org/hdro/indicators.html

<<This site lists all kinds of statistics -- listings for
Industrial Countries:

HUMAN DEVELOPMENT INDICATORS
Statistics from the 1998 Human Development Report

• Human development index (All countries)
• Gender-related development index (All countries)
• Gender empowerment measure (All countries)
• Human poverty profile and index
• Women's access to education
• Women's participation in economic and political life
• Health profile
• Education profile
• Profile of people in work
• Unemployment
• Access to information and communications
• Social stress and social change
• Aid flows (disbursed)
• Aid flows (received)
• Military expenditure and resource use imbalances
• Financial inflows and outflows
• Growing urbanistaion
• Population trends
• Energy use
• Profile of environmental degradation
• Managing the environment
• National income accounts
• Trends in economic performance

> [...]

> Development Programme.
>
> Ireland now ranks 20th of the 174 states surveyed in the Human
> Development Index (HDI), down from 17th last year.
>
> The UNDP says the fall derives from new ways of calculating data,
> as well as changes in some of Ireland's figures for educational
> enrolment.
>
> The results show that while Ireland remains one of the most
> desirable places to live in the world, there are still massive
> inequalities in the distribution of wealth in the State.
>
> While the survey is based on statistics compiled several years
> ago, there is no evidence that the current boom is diminishing
> these inequalities.
>
> HDI is a widely accepted measure of the quality of life which
> takes account of income levels, life expectancy and education.
> For the sixth year in succession, Canada topped the index,
> followed by Norway and the US. The finding that large
> concentrations of poverty persist within the "Celtic Tiger"
> economy is likely to prove highly embarrassing to the Government.
>
> When similar results emerged from last year's reports, officials
> sought urgent meetings with the UNDP to ascertain whether the
> Irish statistics used in the report were accurate and up to date.
>
> The UNDP measures "human poverty" by looking at the figures for
> life expectancy after 60, illiteracy, poverty and long-term
> unemployment. The US tops the index with 16.5 per cent in
> poverty, followed by Ireland at 15.3 per cent and the UK at 15.1
> per cent. In contrast, 7 per cent of Sweden's population is in
> poverty.
>
> Ireland's bad showing in this index can be largely attributed to
> high figures for functional illiteracy. Almost 23 per cent of
> Irish people are functionally illiterate, meaning that they have
> difficulty performing basic tasks such as reading a bill or
> following instructions on a medicine bottle.
>
> Ireland also has one of the highest rates of long-term
> unemployment, at 7.1 per cent. Only Spain and Italy are higher.
> And about 10 per cent of the Irish population will not survive
> into their 60s.
>
> Ireland is the only state for which no figures indicating the
> distribution of wealth are provided. The UK emerges as the most
> unequal of societies, with the wealth of the richest 20 per cent
> almost 10 times that of the poorest 20 per cent.
>
> The report singles out Ireland's computer industry as an example
> of how a country can open a "fast track" to knowledge-based
> growth. It also cited this State's national partnership
> agreements as a model for other countries seeking consensus-led
> development.
>
> In the plethora of statistics contained in the report, it also
> emerges that Ireland has the lowest murder rate among Western
> countries, and the lowest rate of recorded rapes.

>From TheIndependent (UK)

> INTERNET HELPS MAKE THE WORLD MORE UNEQUAL THAN IT HAS EVER
BEEN
> BEFORE ITS MOST UNEQUAL SINCE RECORDS BEGAN GLOBAL INEQUALITY
> ACCELERATES TO THE WORST LEVELS IN HISTORY ACCESS TO THE NET:
THE
> NEW INDEX OF DEPRIVATION FOR THE WORLD'S POOR
>

> AVERAGE INCOME in the world's five richest countries is 74
times
> the level in the poorest five, the widest the inequality gap
has
> ever been.
>
> The tenth anniversary edition of the United Nations Human
> Development Report, which ranks countries according to their
> level of economic and social development, describes the
growing
> gap as "grotesque" and calls for urgent action to make the
world
> a fairer place.
>
> A special message from Ted Turner, the media mogul who donated
> $1bn (pounds 602m) to the UN last year, echoes the report's
> demand for poverty reduction. "It is as if globalisation is in
> fast forward and the world's ability to react to it is in slow
> motion," he writes.
>
> Other figures show that the world's richest 200 (Mr Turner is
> 38th) have more than doubled their wealth in the four years to
> 1998, to more than one trillion dollars (pounds 602bn). The 20
> per cent of the world's population that lives in developed
> countries enjoy 86 per cent of the income.
>
> The figures in this year's report show the UK climbing from
14th
> to 10th in the human development ranking, which incorporates
life
> expectancy, literacy and educational indicators as well as the
> more conventional GDP per head. The improvement, reflecting
> figures up to 1997, is due mainly to increasing enrolment in
> higher education.
>
> However, the UK fares worse on indicators of poverty. A high
> proportion of the population living on less than 50 per cent
of
> median income and a high proportion unable to read and write
well
> enough to function take it to number 15 in the poverty
rankings.

> Canada, Norway and the US top the human development table, as
> they did in 1998. At the bottom of the table, dominated by
> sub-Saharan Africa, lie Sierra Leone, Niger and Ethiopia.
>
> A chapter on technology highlights the unequal spread of new
> technologies such as the Internet and biotechnology. Only in
the
> richest countries is Internet access widespread, and even
there
> it is mainly a white, male, upper-income group phenomenon.
>
> Basic phone connections are rare outside big cities in the
> developing world, and can be poor in the rainy season.
Thailand
> has more mobile phones than all of Africa. The Human
Development
> Report is highly critical of the international rules that have
> allowed western multinationals to corner intellectual property
> rights and patents. This is allowing corporations to hijack
> traditional remedies. For example, two researchers at the
> University of Mississippi were granted a US patent for using
> turmeric to heal wounds, a practice which had been common
> knowledge in India for thousands of years. The patent was
> eventually repealed thanks to evidence provided by an ancient
> Sanskrit text. The exploitation of traditional knowledge has
> created a new skill: "bioprospecting". A few firms have agreed
> pay royalties to countries on sales of drugs successfully
derived
> from indigenous materials.
>
> Some multinationals are praised for their good global
> citizenship. For example, Mattel, the Disney organisation and
> Nike are singled out in the document for improving working
> conditions and pay in their Asian factories.
>
> The report, to be formally launched in London today by Clare
> Short, the Secretary of State for International Development,
says
> such voluntary action will not be enough and pleads for "a
> rewriting of the rules of globalisation".
>
> Its action plan includes controversial proposals for new
> international organisations such as a global central bank in
> addition to the IMF and a world investment trust that could
> redistribute incomes globally. It also urges a "bit tax" on
> Internet use to generate finance for the spread of new
> technology.
>
> However, Mark Malloch Brown, the administrator of the UN
> Development Programme, takes issue with the report's findings.
In
> a foreword he emphasises the need to make existing
institutions
> work better and says markets must remain the "central
organising
> principle of global economic life".
>
> The Widening Gap: Main Points of the UN Report
>
> n The three richest people in the world, Bill Gates, Warren
> Buffett and Paul Allen, have total assets - $156bn, according
> Forbes magazine - greater than the combined GNP of the 43
least
> developed countries. More than 600 million live in these
mainly
> sub-Saharan African states.
>
> n The number of computers connected to the Internet was 36
> million in 1998; ten years earlier it was 100,000.
>
> n A Bangladeshi would have to save all of his wages for eight
> years to buy a computer; an American needs only one month's
> salary.
>
> n Of all the patents in the world, 97 per cent are held by
> industrialised countries.
>
> n Organised crime syndicates are estimated to gross 15
trillion
> dollars (nine trillion pounds) a year.
>
> n More than 80 countries have a lower per capita income today
> than a decade ago.
>
> n Of all the new HIV infections, 95 per cent happen in
developing
> nations. World-wide, 16,000 people are infected every day.
>
> n Half of the $30bn (pounds 18bn) that was grossed by
Hollywood
> films in 1997 was taken at box offices outside the United
States.

> n Each day one-and-a-half trillion dollars (pounds 900bn)
flows
> through the world's currency markets.
>
> n The number of telephones per 100 people in Cambodia is one;
in
> Monaco it is 99.
>
> n Tanzania spends nine times more on repaying debts than on
> health care and four times more than it spends on education.

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.