-Caveat Lector-

>From Irish News

> News
>
> Sinn Fein breaks $3m fundraising barrier
>
> From Ray O’Hanlon
> in New York

> -------
>

> SINN FEIN’S fundraising arm in the US reports steady progress in
> its efforts to raise dollars for party activities in Ireland.
>
> The New York-based Friends of Sinn Fein has collected more than
> $3 million since it began fund-raising in March 1995. The latest
> running total, according to FOSF president Larry Downes, is
> almost $3.23 million.
>
> The $3 million barrier was broken this year despite the 18 month
> period during which the IRA resumed its armed campaign.
>
> While FOSF was not legally barred from raising funds in the US
> during that time ­ February 1996 to July 97 ­ the restart of the
> IRA’s activities effectively placed large-scale fund-raising on
> ice.
>
> For the duration of the resumed campaign, the view was taken by
> FOSF that successful large-scale fund-raisers centred on party
> leaders such as Gerry Adams would have faced severe difficulties.
>
> It would appear likely that if the IRA ceasefire had not been
> interrupted, the present total collected by FOSF could well be
> approaching $5 million, a significant sum in Irish political
> terms.
>
> FOSF stresses that the collected money reported to the US justice
> department every six months is a gross figure.
>
> According to Mr Downes, FOSF spends a considerable sum of the
> money collected from US donors in the United States, an example
> of expenditure being the tour by a dozen leading Sinn Fein
> members last St Patrick’s day.
>
> The tour covered virtually every geographical region of the US
> and saw party president Gerry Adams touching down for the first
> time in states such as Texas and Georgia.
>
> While it is difficult to pin down a sum collected for each
> calendar year ­ FOSF reports to the justice department over
> consecutive six-months periods ending in spring and autumn ­
> group president Mr Downes, said the cash collected in 1998 was
> “at least” $800,000 and probably a little more.
>
> He said there were no plans for big fund-raisers this summer. The
> next event was likely late in the year.

> -------
> Search the Irish News Web Site
> the Irish News Ltd.
> 113-117 Donegall Street
> Belfast
> Northern Ireland
> Tel: +44 (0) 1232 322226
> Fax: +44 (0) 1232 337505
> Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.