Henry Holt and Company
115 W. 18th St.
New York, NY 10011
ISBN 0-8050-1138-2
272 pps — out-of-print/one edition
--[20]--

20

Convictions Overturned!

"Lake, have you heard?" It was February 25, 1980, about 2 P.m., and the voice
on the other end of the line belonged to Max's wife, Barbara.

"Heard what?" I feared something might have happened to one of the Dunlap
children, an auto accident perhaps.

"Oh, Lake, I'm so happy. It came over the radio, and Murray Miller just
confirmed. The supreme court overturned the convictions. There will be new
trials."

"Hooray! That's great news, Barbara."

"The kids and Max's mother are coming over. Will you and Terri drop by?"

"We're on our way."

I hung up and stared at Terri.

"Well?" she asked. "Where are we going?"

My face was wreathed in a smile as bright as the Arizona sun, the dawn after
a long night of storm and near-tragedy.

"Come on, Lake, don't tease me with that cat-who-ate-the-canary grin."

"Is your camera loaded? You're about to have a once-in-a-lifetime photo
opportunity."

"For Pete's sake, tell me what happened."

"The supreme court overturned the convictions."

"All right!" she shrieked with joy.

"There will be new trials," I said.

"Where Schafer gets laughed out of court."

"You bet!"

I tried to call Devereux, another who owned a big role in this triumph, but
couldn't reach him. He would find out soon enough. So would all of Arizona.

Terri and I chattered happily on the fifty-block ride to Max's house. "Do you
know the reason the supreme court used to overturn?" she asked.

"Barbara didn't say. Maybe those justices read the Progress. It took long
enough," I said, suddenly bitter, thinking of the more than two years Max and
Jim spent eying the door to the gas chamber. But today wasn't the time for
negatives.

"Savor the moment, Terri Lee," I said. "This is a big one. Not many turn out
like this." I reached over and pulled her closer.

At Max's home I glowed all over. Six of the seven Dunlap children were there,
including the fourteen-year-old twin boys, and I figured the missing
daughter, Susan, twenty-five, was probably on the way from her Flagstaff home.

The children hugged one another, and us. Here I knew were memories to
treasure a lifetime: the heartfelt "if it hadn't been for you" and "you're a
wonderful man" and plenty of "God bless you, Lake."

Tears of relief and happiness flowed unashamedly at Max's home, and a lump
clogged my throat. Barbara Dunlap looked like a woman just given a ticket to
heaven.

The doorbell rang. "That will be Max's mother," Barbara said. "Lake, she
wants to see you. Why don't you answer the door?"

When I did, seventy-seven-year-old Elizabeth Dunlap gave me a big hug. "This
is a wonderful day," she said through tears. "The happiest day of my life."

Terri Lee and I stayed perhaps forty-five minutes. Shortly afterward I
reached Devereux, who took my earlier negative feeling a step further: "I
don't see why everyone's so happy; this should have happened a long time ago."

"Do you know the details of the court's decision?" I asked.

"It was unanimous. Five to zero. They ruled that the defendants'
constitutional rights were violated when Adamson was allowed to plead the
Fifth Amendment and not answer certain questions during the trial."

"Well, that's one hook they could use. I can think of a hundred others, right
at the top of the list being that Max and Jim are innocent. So what's this
about new trials?"

"It's not clear if they'll be tried separately or together. First there's a
period allowed for rehearing or continuance motions. Then the trial or trials
must be scheduled within sixty days, or the charges dropped."

"I say they'll drop the charges. I'd love new trials, and Dunlap and Robison
would, too. They want their names cleared in a court of law."

"I know they do."

"Has Schafer made any comment?"

"Yeah. Can you believe that guy? He said the decisions didn't surprise him.
He claimed that at the supreme court stage it's a fifty-fifty shot this will
happen."

"He said fifty-fifty?"

"Exact quote."

"Jesus Christ. More like one in a thousand, I'd say. But," I said, joking,
"maybe with him it is fifty-fifty, if he handles all his homicides like he
did this one. What did he say about new trials?"

"He's going for them."

"Good. He'll get blown away in a retrial."

There were plenty of kudos to go around in the heady days following the
overturn of the convictions. David Fraser, a bellwether of the Dunlap
Committee, at first much maligned and alone in questioning and attacking the
trial court verdict, issued a statement to the press:

"We accomplished the three things we set out to do to this point-.'

"We changed the atmosphere of the community regarding the Bolles murder and
the complicity in it of Max Dunlap. The Scottsdale Daily Progress was a key
to that effort.

"We raised the money for a first-class private investigator in Lake Headley.

"We kept enough money coming in to retain Murray Miller, a first-class
attorney and criminal lawyer. In the new trial, he will demonstrate very
clearly that Max Dunlap is innocent."

And Jim Robison, too. Robison lacked only the wonderful friends Dunlap had.

David Fraser could also have singled out his own committee as a substantial
force toward ending the nightmare. Without the unwavering support of Max's
supporters, he and Jim would have been doomed.

Jonathan Marshall, his heart certainly bursting with pride, wrote an
editorial he had long waited to pen:

The Arizona Supreme Court unanimously ruled Monday to overturn the
convictions of Max Dunlap and James Robison for the murder of reporter Don
Bolles on June 2, 1976. The two men have been on death row since their
sentencing in January 1978.

Robison and Dunlap steadfastly have maintained their innocence. They and
their friends have charged that oth-ers were involved in the case and that
the true story has
not been revealed....

This time the community will not be calling for revenge, and the trial should
be conducted more calmly and objectively. Whether it is held again in Phoenix
and
whether the two are tried separately remains to be
seen....

If justice is to be obtained and if the truth about the killing is to be
known, it is essential that all information now should be revealed. This
should be done even if it embarrasses the prosecution and prominent members
of the community.

Marshall had risked a lot with his long, lonely, courageous stand. A Phoenix
weekly, New Times, pointed out, "It hasn't been easy for Marshall and his
small Scottsdale Progress—circulation, 21,000—to go after the biggest story
in Arizona and one of the biggest in the country. For a while over the last
couple of years, he had police protection. He was advised not to travel the
same road home every night. He was warned to be careful; to leave 'well
enough alone,' to watch out because he was 'getting too close to some very
big people.'"

Molly Ivins also had to feel a deserved sense of accomplishment as she wrote
the lead paragraph of her New York Times article: "In a unanimous decision,
the Arizona Supreme Court yesterday reversed the convictions of two men in
the 1976 murder of Don Bolles, the Phoenix newspaper reporter fatally wounded
when a bomb blew up his car."

How about Robison and Dunlap themselves? I drove to the Arizona State Prison
the day after the verdict.

"Say, fuck this!" Robison growled. "I shouldn't have been here in the first
place. But don't get me wrong. I'm grateful to you and Devereux. If you two
hadn't done all that digging, and he hadn't kept grinding out all those
stories, Max and I never would have seen a reversal."

Max said enthusiastically: "What a turnaround! I'm looking forward to the new
trial. I don't want them dismissing these charges. Jim and I deserve to be
vindicated."

I agreed. And it could and should happen twice. It wasn't fair to either
Robison or Dunlap to be tried together. They had never met before their
arrests for "conspir[ing] to kill Bolles."

Let Schafer, Sellers, Babbitt, and the rest eat a double portion of crow.
Could Schafer really be serious about new trials? In my head I made a partial
list of the many witnesses who would be called, a few of whom would be
vindicated, others embarrassed, and some destroyed:

John Adamson
Bradley Funk
Betty Funk Richardson
Ned Warren
H. Monte M. Kobey
Neal Roberts
Antje Roberts
Eileen Roberts
Gail Owens
Kay Kroot
Barry Goldwater
Michael JoDon
Keith Nation
James McVay
Lawrence Wetzel
Jon Sellers
Michael Butler
Harry Hawkins
Jack Weaver
William Wright
Hank Landry
John Zollinger
Terrell Bounds

... plus a conglomeration of additional police officers and prosecutors who
had overlooked, hidden, and destroyed evidence vital to the defense.

Previously, the Dunlap Committee literally couldn't buy publicity for its
cause. Now, AP, UPI, the Boston Globe, and papers in places like Idaho and
South Carolina jumped on the bandwagon. The headline of a follow-up Molly
Ivins story in The New York Times said it best: "A Reporter's Death Puts
State on Trial."

On March 7, 1980, Murray Miller announced he would seek bail for Dunlap, a
move opposed by Attorney General Corbin.

Robison didn't qualify for bail. After being arrested for the Bolles murder,
he had been convicted in a separate assault case, and given a twenty-six-year
sentence. I believed, and Robison swore, that he stood innocent of this
crime, also. What put him away: largely the testimony of John Harvey Adamson.

On March 13, 1980, we again were reminded of the erratic nature of Arizona
justice. The state—despite its generous dispensation of immunity agreements
to key figures in the Bolles case—had decided Michael JoDon needed to be
taught the seriousness of a twenty-dollar drug sale to an undercover agent.
JoDon's first trial had ended in a hung jury, but on this date Maricopa
County Superior Court judge David L. Grounds found him guilty. judge Grounds
tentatively scheduled sentencing for April 10, with JoDon facing five years
to life!

Perhaps emboldened by this outrage, Schafer and Corbin talked confidently
about plans for the retrials of Max and Jim. They weren't, evidently,
prepared for the bombshell their own lying snitch, John Harvey Adamson,
dropped in their laps on April 9.

Adamson, in a letter to prosecutors, listed a series of "demands" he wanted
met before agreeing to testify again. They included: full immunity from any
crime he had ever committed; immediate release from prison; a new identity; a
new wardrobe; money; protection for his ex-wife; and an education for his son.

If the prosecution didn't agree to his terms, Adamson declared, he would not
testify against Robison and Dunlap.

Murray Miller saw the matter differently: "The unmitigated gall of this
convicted assassin will make the attorney general's office a laughingstock
across the nation." Miller suggested that "since the Waldorf Astoria is not
readily available" for Adamson, prosecutors "should take advantage of spring
and summer rates at the Arizona Biltmore or Camelback Inn."

What was Adamson up to? Surely he didn't want to reenter the courtroom arena
as a lamb against lions. But did he actually expect the state to grovel so
abjectly? Or did he purposely put an inflated price tag on his testimony to
keep himself from being ripped apart on the stand and perhaps forced to name
his true co-conspirators? He had referred to them once, saying, "My people
don't give immunity."

Except for denying Max and Jim the chance to hear themselves publicly
acquitted, it didn't matter one way or the other what this lowlife did, but
watching would be fun.

pps. 212-219
--[cont]--
Aloha, He'Ping,