-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Tatman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > As usual, fear-mongers invoke FRANKENSTEIN without having read
> > the bloody book - or maybe they're just anxious to misappropriate
> > a metaphor once again.  Mary Shelly's FRANKENSTEIN was NOT about
> > the arrogance and misapplication of science; <...>
> > When you hear a speaker link FRANKENSTEIN with
> > alleged misdeeds of science, prepare yourself for a twisty ride
> > along the Luddite path - more distortions are sure to follow.
> >
> Shelly's *Frankenstein* was essentially a reworking of the story
> of the Golem, intertwined with some of the Christian Kabbalah and
> ceremonial magic. It does have a certain kinship to Blake's "Tyger,
> Tyger" with its dark vision of the Industrial Revolution. (Think
> of a blast furnace...) But the Romantics were not particularly
> interested in science, even to condemn it; their interest was
> indeed in the spiritual quest, by whatever means came to hand...

My point [however ineptly expressed] was that FRANKENSTEIN has
become a code-word, usually followed by bogus assertions and
arguments.  Similarly, code-words representing Jews, Blacks,
Asians and other groups, often preceded by 'The' [ie, The Jews,
The International Bankers, The Media, The Eastern Establishment,
The Communists, The Welfare Queens, The Chinese], should serve as
warning flags that bogosity/demagoguery is forthcoming.

And Mary Shelly's referring to 'electricity' in FRANKENSTEIN was
akin to modern NewAgers usurping the 'quantum' label to attach
to their fantasies - quantum consciousness, etc.  Grab a glitzy
'scientific' buzzword and apply it out of context.  But I digress.