Loud and Clear
Lake Headly and William Hoffman©1990
Henry Holt and Company
115 W. 18th St.
New York, NY 10011
ISBN 0-8050-1138-2
272 pps — out-of-print/one edition

--[24]--
--"They wove a tangled web. Once the decision was made to protect the
powerful, all that remained was a sordid vendetta against the innocent."--
-----
24

Covering Ass Through the Eighties

LAS VEGAS, NEVADA. AUGUST 1989

I was reviewing manuscript pages of this book when the telephone rang.

"Lake, old buddy! How have you been?"

"Do I know you?"

"Oh, yeah. I'm George Weisz, an investigator with the Arizona attorney
general's office. We met while you were here working the Bolles case. What
have you been doing?"

"Same thing as always. I'm a private investigator."

"Well, we're working on the Bolles murder..."

Jesus. The reporter had been dead thirteen years, two months.

"That's great," I said, almost choking. "How you coming with it?"

"We'd like to ask you some questions. I've been going over the material you
sent to the attorney general and the U.S. attorney. And we know you made a
lot of tapes with Robison. We'd like, as part of our investigation, to get
together with you and listen to those tapes. We can come to Vegas, or if
you'll be in Phoenix soon, we can meet here."

"I'll tell you what you do. Call my attorney, George Vlassis, and set up an
appointment through him. We can talk in his office. I'll fly down when I get
the word from Vlassis."

"Let's make an appointment while I've got you on the phone."

In a hurry, huh? I thought. Now I remembered Weisz. Like Schafer, Corbin, and
the rest, he'd ignored everything we provided his office.

"I can't make an appointment," I said. "I don't know my lawyer's schedule.
Give him a call."

I hung up, sure that Vlassis wouldn't allow me to answer their questions.
Wise had nerve, I'd give him that.

Still investigating? Now, in 1989, they wanted to talk to me?

I wondered if the real reason for the call was to find out how the book
treated them. Or, more ominous, since they wanted to listen to tapes, if they
fantasized about retrying Jim.

I had prepared myself to hear "more arrests are expected" spilling out of
Weisz's mouth.

Though I kept my pledge to stay away from active involvement in the Bolles
case, I closely followed its many twists and turns throughout the 1980s.
Cover Your Ass—Robison's description of the police/prosecution motive for
ineptitude and worse—became more pronounced, laughable and, ultimately,
ludicrous. Here are some examples from the time after we left Phoenix.

o       Phoenix organized-crime police officers, after first purging their
files on Emprise to remove any reference to John Adamson, created a new,
sanitized Emprise file to mollify the curious.

o       By hiding the index cards needed to locate the files, police made it
impossible to study their dossiers on Adamson, Barry Goldwater, Bradley Funk,
and others.

o       The police shredded all surveillance reports relating to the murder
of Bolles.

o       Organized-crime officers kept all the information they gathered on
the Bolles murder in a secret file not listed in any official record. Once
five inches thick, it shrank to virtually nothing after its existence became
publicly known.

o       Phoenix police still didn't bother to interview Nicole DiVincenzo,
who said he had been offered a contract to kill Bolles (which he turned
down), and later a contract on John Adamson's life, even though DiVincenzo
was in the Phoenix jail on another charge.

The Phoenix weekly New Times concluded, in an issue printed on the tenth
anniversary of the Bolles bombing: "The Phoenix police department
deliberately sabotaged its investigation into the murder of Don Bolles."

The saddest part of all is that, except for residents of Arizona who have
lived with the case, most Americans have only sketchy knowledge of the
tragedy. Many, if they know of Robison and Dunlap at all, believe they got
off on a legal technicality—a terrible injustice to these men, who unfairly
suffered for so long and conceivably could still be tried again by the same
state that railroaded them in the first place. Almost as bad, Corbin and
Schafer, viewed from a distance, have emerged as heroes in the eyes of some
writers for "standing up" to John Adamson and prosecuting him to the fullest
extent of the law after he made those outrageous demands in exchange for his
testimony.

Cover Your Ass. Here's Attorney General Bruce Babbitt in 1977, after his
office convicted Dunlap and Robison: "The convictions reaffirm the fact that
the [Phoenix police] department is one of the outstanding law enforcement
agencies, not only in this state, but in the nation." And here's Governor
Bruce Babbitt in 1986, after the destruction of almost everything he claimed
to be true in the Bolles case: "Police work in this city and this state has
come a long way since 1976. We were not in a modern law enforcement
situation. At the time, we had not made the evolution into complete police
work."

Complete police work? Robison had been right. Even incomplete police work
didn't encompass purging files, creating phony new files, and shredding
documents.

Corbin and Schafer did indeed go after Adamson. In 1980, the con man was
tried and quickly convicted of first-degree murder, receiving the death
sentence. Adamson had expected the sentence, betting everything on an appeal
that said he'd been subjected to double jeopardy.

In 1986, Adamson missed winning his desperate gamble by an eyelash. The U.S.
Supreme Court, in a 5-4 decision, held that double jeopardy wasn't applicable
and that Adamson must die.

Still, it wasn't over. In 1988 a federal appeals court ruled that Arizona's
death penalty law was unconstitutional. The state appealed, and there the
matter stands, with the lives of Adamson and several dozen others hanging in
the balance.

Max Dunlap nicely picked up the pieces of his life. With the help of his
loving family, he reestablished himself as an honest, successful businessman,
traits there had never been cause to question.

In July 1983, Max filed a $605 million lawsuit against the city of Phoenix,
the Phoenix police department, and nine police officers. Mainly Max wanted
the day in court that had been denied him.

It took until 1987 to reach a court, where a mistrial was declared when it
turned out several of the defendants had retained the same lawyer. Clearly,
what was good for one defendant might not be helpful to another, but whose
fault was this? Not Max's. The mistrial smelled to me like a deliberate
stalling tactic. During the brief period the case did appear in court,
Dunlap's lawyer, Murray Miller, charged that the authorities were still
withholding vital evidence.

It was worse than that. With the trial pending, the police destroyed
additional files relating to the Bolles case, information evidently
overlooked in the first waves of purging.

Max's lawsuit was thrown out entirely on February 14, 1989, by Superior Court
judge Robert Gottsfield, who ruled that under state law the lawsuit should
have been filed within two years of the June 2, 1980, "temporary dismissal"
of the murder charges. In other words, the statute of limitations had run out
(judge Gottsfield held) despite an earlier ruling before the 1987 mistrial
that held it had not.

So once again Max was victimized, and guilty parties went unpunished. Said
Murray Miller: "He wanted his day in court to show what police did to him to
put him on death row. I think it's just a travesty for the Dunlap family not
to have had their day in court."

Jim Robison still resides at Arizona State Prison, serving a twentysix-year
sentence for the assault he claims he didn't commit. Long ago he should have
been granted parole, but some of the same people who framed him for murder
cannot forgive him for assault.

I have never heard of any first-time offender serving this much time for
assault. The average time a convicted murderer serves is half the number of
years Jim has been locked up.

Thanks largely to the efforts of attorney Victor Aranow, who faced a
prosecution eager to see his client pay for that twentydollar hash sale,
Michael JoDon, in my opinion the most important witness of all in the Bolles
case, received a suspended sentence.

Robert Corbin remains as attorney general of Arizona, assisted by William
Schafer III. I wonder if they are there forever, permanent sentinels,
guarding against some replacement who might in the name of justice demand
what has always been needed: the convening of a grand jury with the power to
force answers.

Bradley Funk died December 31, 1989, of a heart attack. In its tenth
anniversary review of the Bolles case, New Times had headlined an article
about him: "He Was the Perfect Suspect ... and the Cops Ignored Him."

Neat Roberts practices law in Phoenix.

Terri Lee and I were married December 27, 1982, in Las Vegas, with Lake III
serving as best man, and my other sons, Anthony and Rod, in attendance. We
moved to Vegas permanently the next month.

Terri is okay now, as good as ever physically and mentally, with only those
scars on her back and arm to remind her of our investigation of the Bolles
murder. She wanted to work as a p.i., and that's one wish I was able to grant
her.

Terri, surprisingly, views our work in Phoenix in a more positive light than
I do. "We did good," she says, referring to the conviction reversals. She
keeps hoping the real killers will be prosecuted.

But I have arrived at the point where I don't care if they solve the Bolles
homicide. I know who did it, but Bradley Funk is dead and I can't drive
myself crazy agonizing over the fact that he and others responsible haven't
been or likely ever will be punished.

pps. 260-265

=====

Epilogue

I didn't think anything Attorney General Robert Corbin could stoop to would
surprise me, but I underestimated this politician. The action he took on
November 27, 1989, was not just surprising; it was sickening: he recharged
Jim Robison in the Bolles murder.

A grand jury didn't recharge Robison. I don't believe Corbin could have
gotten a grand jury to do it. Instead, he used George Weisz-he of the "Lake,
old buddy" greeting-to file a "complaint," which this prosecutor contended
was all that he needed. Since the charges against Robison (and Dunlap, for
that matter) had never been dropped—a Sword of Damocles dangling over their
heads-they could be reinstated whenever the attorney general chose.

He chose a time propitious for himself. Corbin faced a stiff reelection
challenge in the Republican primary from David Eisenstein and Grant Woods
and, if he survived that, from the winner of the Democratic Party
primary-expected to be prominent Phoenix lawyer Georgia Staton. All the
candidates let it be known that Corbin's total lack of progress in the most
important case he ever handled-the Bolles murder-would be a major campaign
issue. Thus, when Corbin recharged Robison, many observers felt it
represented a desperate gamble to establish that he genuinely sought justice
for Don Bolles and merited reelection.

These observers probably underestimated Corbin, as I had. As this is being
written, it appears Corbin is about to launch a run for the Governor's seat.

And what about George Weisz? He had relinquished a safe seat in the Arizona
legislature to work for Corbin, a self-imposed demotion, a seemingly
inexplicable career move. But maybe not. Will Weisz try to ride a Robison
prosecution to the attorney general's post?

I learned what Weisz wanted when he called me earlier: tape recordings I had
made with Robison. I received several subpoenas—one to a grand jury looking
into the matter (it didn't indict) and another to a preliminary hearing-but
refused to turn over the tapes. I believed strongly that I had both a defense
investigator/client privilege and a journalist/source privilege with Robison.
For a few days it appeared I might go to jail, but the judge compromised and
said I could hand the tapes over to Robison's lawyer, Tom Henze. I did so,
since it was agreeable to Jim.