-Caveat Lector-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>From http://www.fastlane.net/~springer/burial.htm
USS Saratoga Page

> [...]
> committal of casketed remains is desired from a naval vessel; and
> the body of water in which the cremains/remains should be
> committed.
>
> Most retirees are not entitled to mortuary services. There is,
> however, one category of retiree which is eligible: a retired
> military member who dies at an inpatient medical facility of the
> Armed Forces. Under chapter 55, Title 10, United States Code, the
> primary next of kin can request the government to transport the
> remains of the retired member, or seek reimbursement for such
> costs, from the military hospital to the place of burial or other
> final disposition.
>
> Section 1490, Title 10, United States Code, as amended, also
> authorizes the Uniformed Services to transport, or pay for the
> cost of transporting, the remains of a military retiree's
> dependents to the point of burial. The dependents must have died
> while in a military medical facility in the United States or its
> territories or possessions, or the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
>
> Transportation at government expense may not be made to a place
> further from the place of death than the decedent's last
> permanent residence (last legal domicile), nor to a place outside
> the United States.
>
> Also, advance arrangements cannot be made because compliance with
> the request would depend upon weather conditions and the
> availability of a ship at that time. Service on board ship while
> in port may be permitted on a "not to interfere" basis; however,
> civilian personnel cannot be authorized to attend services at
> sea. Any expenses incurred for delivery of remains/cremains to
> the point of embarkation on board a naval ship must be borne by
> the estate of the deceased. Remains to be committed should be in
> a state of preservation that will allow them to be stored fro 60
> days. For more information please call or write MEDDEN AFFAIRS.
>
> An alternative to burial at sea from a naval vessel/aircraft is
> burial at sea from a United States Coast Guard (USCG) vessel. The
> USCG has more stations along the coasts of the United States than
> does the Navy. In areas where the nearest naval activity is
> hundreds of miles away, the cost to the family of transporting
> the remains and family members to the service could be
> prohibitive. In addition, the USCG's mission provides much more
> flexibility and availability of vessels to accommodate burial at
> sea, and when mission obligations and weather conditions permit,
> civilian personnel are permitted to attend the services at sea.
> As with the Navy, advance arrangements cannot be made. Interested
> persons should contact the nearest USCG station, which is usually
> listed under the Department of Transportation in the local
> telephone directory.
>

> "This Article compiled from information provided by MEDDEN
> AFFAIRS, Great Lakes, Illinois, and is reprinted in its entirety
> from Volume 40, Issue 3, Fall 1995, edition of Shift Colors".

<<And then there are any number of other  options, ranging from
commercial to private sea-going vessel ... >>

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.