ALERT:  Bob Barr Trying Again to Silence DC's Medical
   Marijuana Vote -- Bill Coming to House Floor Tuesday!
       -------- PLEASE COPY AND DISTRIBUTE --------

    ********* www.drcnet.org/releasethevote/ *********
                                                   7/24/99
Dear Friend,

Last year, Rep. Bob Barr (R-GA) introduced a shameful bill
that forbids the District of Colombia government from using
even its own funds to count or certify the results of DC's
medical marijuana initiative last year, I-59, which
according to an exit poll gained 69% of the vote.  ALMOST
NINE MONTHS SINCE THE ELECTION, CITIZENS IN THE NATION'S
CAPITAL ARE STILL WAITING TO HEAR THE OFFICIAL RESULTS OF
THEIR VOTE.  Our sources tell us that Rep. Barr intends to
introduce an amendment to the District Appropriations Bill
on Tuesday, 7/24, to extend his ban for another year, even
though the same amendment failed in committee last week.

The Barr amendment is flagrantly unconstitutional and
represents a fundamental attack on democracy, and is
enormously cruel to seriously ill patients who need
marijuana for medical reasons, but who risk arrest,
incarceration and loss of property when they use it.  Please
visit http://www.drcnet.org/releasethevote/ to find out how
to send an e-mail or fax to your Representative and your two
Senators, that you want them to obey the Constitution,
defeat Bob Barr's shameful bill, and RELEASE THE VOTE!

Please forward this alert to your friends and to appropriate
forums and newsgroups, or click on the "Tell a Friend" link
on the web site.  Last but not least, write down your Rep's
phone number (the petition form will show it), and follow up
on Monday morning with a phone call, to make even more of an
impact.  (If you can't get to the web, you can also call the
Congressional Switchboard at (202) 224-3121, and ask them to
look up your Representative and transfer your call to his or
her office.)

This message brought to you by the Drug Reform Coordination
Network's rapid-response-team e-mail list.  If you are not
already subscribed to DRCNet, please visit our "quick sign-
up" form at <http://www.drcnet.org/signup.html>.  To sign
off this list, mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] with the words
signoff drc-natl in the body of the message, or
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] for assistance.  Support DRCNet by
making a donation -- use our secure registration form at
<http://www.drcnet.org/drcreg.html>.