-Caveat Lector-

> America says: never again!
>
> After Kosovo, the US is wary of a humanitarian foreign policy. A
> Kissinger-style realpolitik may be on its way back, writes John
> Lloyd
>
> <Picture>The most humanitarian war fought in modern times may be
> the last of the genre for some while. In the US the lessons being
> drawn about the war in Kosovo are not encouraging for those who
> think that foreign policies should be ethical and humanitarian.
> Where, before the war, some mocked the idea, now many mock the
> practice.
>
> This re-examination will change foreign policy, especially if
> George W Bush becomes president of the US (at present, he is the
> preferred candidate, Republican or Democrat). But it is also
> likely to be the case if Al Gore keeps the White House in
> Democrat hands. The Kosovo "adventure" is widely thought to have
> been a mistake.
>
> In the US recently, I interviewed Condoleeza Rice, the provost of
> Stanford University, in California, and a former national
> security aide to George W's father, in the Bush presidency. Rice
> is now chief foreign policy adviser to George W: in a second Bush
> presidency, she would likely be either secretary of state or
> national security adviser.
>
> Rice talked largely about Russia, on which she is an expert. She
> said that the efforts by the west to micro-manage Russia's
> transition to the market and democracy were ill conceived; and
> that we were too insouciant about a corruption so huge that it
> enveloped the very top. "I think that what's called for now is a
> major disengagement from Russia's domestic politics," she said.
> "What we've learnt is that if reform is not supported strongly at
> home, as it was in Poland, then there is not much we can do and
> it won't work." When I asked her to broaden this approach out
> into other areas, she was cautious: George W has not thought
> through his foreign policy posture yet and doesn't want anyone
> putting him into a box too soon. But she ventured: "US foreign
> policy, if it's going to be effective, needs US domestic support;
> a humanitarian intervention is difficult for most people to
> understand when it is prolonged. I can see the need to respond to
> terrible tragedies, but we have to be sure we're doing it for the
> right reasons in the right way."
>
> Rice is here appealing to a strand of thought which has gathered
> force over this past year. It might be called "Kissinger
> revisited". It views the world as made up of states and alliances
> of states that, in general, pursue their own interests as
> strongly as they can. Those interests are often centuries old,
> dictated by geography. While they can change very radically -
> Britain's interests changed in this century from being those of a
> world power to being those of a major European state - they do so
> over a period of time and are usually dictated by outside
> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.