-Caveat Lector-

an excerpt from:
Were We Controlled?
Lincoln Lawerence(C) 1967
University Books, Inc.
New Hyde Park, N. Y.
out -of-print
-------
A very interesting book. A bit of a hard read at the beginning, but then, the
author(a psuedonymn) is covering some hard to grasp subjects. One thing to
notice is that the operation( or at least parts of it ) began before even JFK
was elected. Also there are very many interesting facts and theories
presented. And for those that questions about Bunge corporation, it is
discussed also.
--
This book has recently been reissued in an annotated version, with much
additional material, Highly reccommended.

-----

4.
The Tools: R.H.I.C. and E.D.O.M.

The public is generally aware of the time lag between the developmemt of
advanced scientific weapons of defense and their announcement. Secrecy makes
sense on the checker-board of international power politics. The "Manhattan
Project" comes all too vividly to mind in this context.

   A case in point we would like to recall is an incident which disturbed us
many years ago. It provides a fair warning for  the reader that no matter how
fantastic the tools of R.H.I.C. and E.D.O.M. may seem as we describe them to
you, they will be no more fantastic than the facts in the following incident
seemed at the time.

  The time was November of 1940 . . . when the clouds of a major world war
were heavy in the sky and Hitler was the inevitable enemy to be defeated.

   That year, a man named Fred Allhoff felt (even as this author does today
about Behavior Control) that we were going to have the very foundations of
our existence shaken by the announcement of a scientific advance that was
being held back from us. Under the guise of fiction entitled "Lightning in
the Night” in Liberty magazine of November 16th of that year, Allhoff broke
through that time-lag barrier and his readers were given the same kind of
advance information you will find in this book.

   Wrote Allhoff:
  ". . . The President of the United States resumed, 'As you gentlemen have
suggested, the development of atomic energy will mean a revolutionary change
in the life of every human being now on earth. It can be an overwhelming
force for good or for evil.' . . . later . . . 'We saw its potentialities as
a weapon of war, but even more clearly as an unlimited source of heat, of
light, of power for peaceful production and transportation . . .' . . . and
further on . . . 'Our goal, I must repeat, was the creation of a new, rich,
peaceful world tor all. To reach that goal, we needed to unlock atomic energy
before you (Hitler) could do so; to produce tons of
pure uranium-235 before you could do so; and then to master the world through
the threat of its irresistible destructive force--a force we hoped would
never have to be put to use . . . a weapon that must inevitably overwhelm and
subdue any nation on earth.'”

   Mr. Allhoff revealed the major scientific advance of his time years before
the scientific black-out was lifted. The seeds of the A-bomb were there then
when Allhoff warned about it. E.D.O.M. and R.H. I.C. are here now but you
simply aren't being told!

   So much for this incideny which forecast The Atomic Age.

   On another front—the battle of men's minds there is an equally significant
time-lag today.   Behavior Control has progessed far beyond your most fearful
dreams . . . and certainly beyond the information available to you.

   There are two particulaIly dreadful procedures which have been developed.
Those working and playing with them secretly call them R.H.I.C. and
E.D.O.M.—Radio-Hypnotic Intracerebral Control and Electronic Dissolution of
Memory.

   Although the general public is still in the dark about the progress being
made (and the implications of such progress upon the freedoms of man), the
United Nations is quite aware of it. The International Brain Research
Organization—IBR--was formed by UNESCO and held its first formal meeting in
Paris in October of 1960. Present-day work in thought control is undoubtedly
under UN observation.

   How has this field evolved? Since the late nineteenth century, when
Fritsch and Hitzig began the epoch of physiological research into cerebral
stimulation, there has been orderly and important progress. In the last
decade, scientists admit that the invention of new techniques has so
increased that, as Professor Stanley Cobb of Harvard puts it, "One is
overwhelmed!" Topflight U. S. brain expert Daniel E. Sheer states that
"Progress has continued at such an accelerated pace that new data quickly be
comes superseded by newer data."

   One of the first milestones in this research came in 1903 when Vladimir M.
Bekhterev published, in Russia, a seven volume report called "Foundations of
the Theory of the Functions of the Brain." Bekhterev, an acknowledged founder
of the Russian school of neurology, presented some of the earliest important
conclusions on methods of stimulation of the brain. He called his procedures
the study of reflexology.

   It is Bekhterev's work rather than the more famous Pavlov theories which
laid the groundwork for the modern work on behaviorism done in Russia.

   This information is important to keep in mind later when we study the
activities in Minsk as Lee Harvey Oswald lay under the surgeon's knife when
he lived in that city.

   Bekhterev's work led to much more sophisticated advances made under the
guidance of John B. Watson, who was d e first to put forth the cause of be
haviorism in America.

   The gIoundwork for the incredibly sophisticated field of radio control of
the brain was laid as early as 1934 when E. L. Chaffee and R. U. Light
published a paper called "A Method for the Remote Control of Electrical
Stimulation of the Nervous System.”

  Others who pioneered in the use of radio and induction for such control
include Loucke (1934), Clark and Ward (1937), Fender {1937), Harris
(1946-47)/ Gengerelli and Kallejian (1950), Mauro (1950), Yersearlo and
French (1953~, Greer and Rig gle (1957), and most important of all, Jose M.
R. Delgado in Madrid and New Haven.

   The advanced equipment of the American Electronics Laboratory has enabled
modern day experimenters to reach new heights in this field. Their stimulator
and radio frequency isolation units are widely and successfully employed in
research.

 This work is described in detail in "Distant Evoked Responses to
Single-Pulse Stimulation” by Bickford, McDonald, Dodge and Svien (1961).

   Since a number of men involved in the machinations of Tino De Angelis and
the plot to assassinate John F. Kennedy may have been unknowingly controlled
by the use of R.H.I C. and E.D.O.M., we must do our homework on the nature of
these procedures. In order to understand R.H.I.C., first of all we must study
a simpler (and yet related) form of control, primitive by comparison. This
would be Intracerebral Electrical Stimulation or as it is referred to in
non-technical nickname, E.S.B.—simply electrical stimulation of the brain.

   The progress in this field of research and application lies like the
proverbial iceberg . . . mostly below the surface. R.H.I.C. is a top secret
toy of the “controllers”—E.S.B. is not. It belongs to responsible science. In
the past year, we have been allowed a brief glimpse past the curtain of
secrecy in this area.
   In The New York Times of Monday, May 17, 1965, there appeared a front-page
story with two photographs headlined, “Matador with a Radio Stops Wired Bull."

   This story graphically detailed the fascinating experiments conducted by
Dr. Jose M. R. Delgado in his laboratories at Yale University's School of
Medicine and certain "field" work in Cordova, Spain. These experiments were
explained by Times writer John A. Osmundsen in these words:

  “. . . Afternoon sunlight poured over the high wooden barriers into the
ring as the brave bull
bore down on the unarmed 'matador’-- a scientist who had never faced a
fighting bull.

   "But the charging animaI's horn never reached the man behind the heavy red
cape. Moments before that could happen, Dr. Jose M. R. Delgado, the
scientist, pressed a button on a small radio transmitter in his hand, and the
bull braked to a halt.

   "Then, he pressed another button on the transmitter and the bull
obediently turned to the right and trotted away.

   "The bull was obeying commands from his brain that were being called forth
by electrical stimulation—by the radio signals of certain regions in which
fine wire electrodes had been painlessly implanted the day before.

   "The experiment, conducted *last year* [italics ours] in Cordova, Spain, .
. . was probably the most spectacular demonstration ever performed of the
deliberate modification of animal behavior through external control of the
brain.

   “. . . he has been able to 'play' monkeys and cats 'like little electronic
toys' that yawn, hide, fight and go to sleep on command."

The story continued:

  "Experiments have been conducted on human beings by Dr. Delgado and other
scientists primarily during the treatment of certain types of epilepsy. . .
   “He has been working in this field for more than 15 years. Techniques that
he and other scientists have recently developed have been refined to the
point where, he believes, a turning point has been reached in the study of
the mind."

5.
He Is Not Alone . . .

  Dr. Delgado is by no means alone in his field of work . . . but he is a
giant in that field. A man of great charm, brilliant intellect . . . and a
certain air of mystery.

   Those who are allowed into the Delgado first floor laboratories in the
handsome Yale building in New Haven experience quite an adventure-- if they
get the permission (rarely granted) to visit the area where the Macaque
Mulata momkeys, used by the doctor in his experiments, are kept.

   The first-time visitor to those well-lighted cage areas will be shaken by
the sight that awaits him. It is one thing to read of the experiments, in the
neat type of medical reports, and quite another to see the monkeys close up
with the tiny metal antennae implanted in the top of their skulls. They are
lively enough, and well cared for. They are normal monkeys until the buttons
on a small nearby hand transmitter which resembles a walkie talkie are
pressed. And then? . . . Then—suddenly—the year 2000—is now!

   A vital question that would link E.S.B. research at Yale with advanced
R.H.I.C. was put to Delgado bluntly. Had the control of the brain been
attempted on either humans or animals using radio waves alone . . . with no
implantation in the skull? A guarded look came into the scientist's eyes.
"There had been experiments . . ." That was as much as he would say.

   On May 6, 1965, in the course of the James Arthur lecture on "The
Evolution of the Human Brain" at the American Museurn of Natural History in
New York, Dr. Delgado left his audience with this thought: "Science has
developed a new electrical methodology  for the study and control of cerebral
function in animals and humans."

   In his paper published in Exerpta Medica International Congress No. 87
(Tokyo 1965), Professor Delgado in reference to chronic radio-stimulation of
the brain has this to say in his concIusions: "Radio stimulations of the
brain were applied for five seconds once a minute, more than 20,000 times
during fourteen days, with reliable results and without disturbances of
thresholds, spontaneous electrical activity, or morphology of neurons. These
facts suggest that programmed stimulations of the brain may be carried out
perhaps indefinitely."   Remember those words, programmed stimulations and
perhaps indefinitely. As our journey through the structure of The Rumor moves
into strange byways, they will reassure you we are not dealing here with
science-fiction.

   AII of this takes us a trifle past treating epileptic symptoms directly on
the road that leads to R.H.I C.
   The taunting, mocking question that constantly arises when evaluating Dr.
Delgado's public announcement of his work is . . how recent are these
developments? Has he brought us up-to-date? Wide eyed, he wiIl tell you he
“can't imagine" how E.S.B. could be used as a tool in brain-washing during
wartime. But perusal of his work divulges the fact that his efforts have been
quietly subsidized by grants from the Office of Naval Research.

   Perhaps there is a considerable gap of time between what Dr. Delgado and
Yale announce today . . . and what progress they have actually made. An
amusing sidelight pointing toward this possibility came when a gentle bit of
investigative scrutiny was applied to the good doctor's statements.

   In May, of 1965, John Osmundsen's excellent New York Time article refers
to Delgado's flamboyant demonstration with the bull as having taken place
"last year" (1964) in Cordova, Spain.

   Although Dr. Delgado modestly avoids emphasiz ing the Spain episode in
conversations at Yale, he nevertheless has a series of large photographic
blow ups of himself and the buIl on the wall behind hirn. If you gaze at the
pictures of the experiments on the wall and Dr. Delgado at the desk in 1965,
you must notice that in Spain, Dr. Delgado was an athletic and striking
black-haired figure of a man—who might even have stopped the bull bravely
with a sword instead of a radio transmitter. Across the desk from you,
supposedIy a matter of "months" later, sits the distinguished, gray-haired
scientist of the moment.

   Why this unseeming skepticism? Why this cynical probing and doubting as to
whether we are being handed ancient history instead of the real news about
E.S.B. so vital to the understanding of R.H.I.C.?
   Let us compare the doctor's announcements with a paper offered by another
equally well-qualified man of science. We refer to the late L. L. Vasiliev,
Professor of Physilogy in the University of Leningrad. We quote from
"Critical Evaluation of the Hypnogenic Method of the Results Obtained by its
Application (Improved Version of the Hypnogenic Method from Experiments in
Mental Suggestion).” It should be noted that we move a little further in the
direction of R.H.I.C. . . as hypnotism is introduced into the procedure.
   Here are excerpts: "As a control of the subject's condition when she was
outside the laboratory in another set of experiments, a radio set-up was
used. . . . Not many experiments of this sort were carried out, but the
results obtained indicate that the method of using radio signals
substantially enhances the experimental possibilites."

   The date of this paper and for these experiments was 1934 thirty-one years
before Yale's "news" announcement.   In another part of the paper, Professor
Vasiliev reports:”Tomashevsky [ F. Tomashevsky, farned Russian physiologist]
carried out the first experiment with this subject at a distance of one or
two rooms and under conditions where the participant would not know or
suspect that she would be experimented with. In other cases, the sender was
not in the same house and someone else observed the sub ject's behavior.
Subsequent experiments at consid erable distances were successful . . . One
such experiment was carried out in a park at a distance . . . Mental
suggestion to go to sleep was complied with within a minute."

   Here over thirty years ago was primitive R.H.I.C. in operation. It is
inconceivable that the fraternity of science has not exchanged information,
achieved similar breakthroughs and progressed far past the announced point in
this field.

   What then is R.H.I.C.? It is the ultra-sophisti cated application of
post-hypnotic-suggestion triggered at will by radio transmission. It is a
recurring hypnotic state, re-induced automatically at intervals by the same
radio control. An individual is placed under hypnosis. This can be done
either with his knowledge—or without it by use of narco-hypnosis, which can
be brought into play under many guises. He is then programmed to perform
certain actions and maintain certain attitudes upon radio signal. The signal
is practiced while he is under hypnosis to "teach" him how to respond.
Certain behavior can therefore be "played" (to use Dr. Delgado's term) over a
period of days or even months. Re-in-troduction can be instituted by the same
procedure to continue the control for an unlimited time! That, in essence, is
R.H.I.C.

   Sound a little improbable?   Let us consider, for example, this "radio"
that induces the behavior control. On May 22r 1963, there was a meeting in
the office of Professor Zinoviev at the Ministry of Higher and Secondary
Specialized Education of the USSR. Professor Artemov from the First Moscow
Institute of Foreign Languages let a little tidbit drop. Someone in the group
present (fifteen men and one woman one of whom provided our "ears")
challenged Professor Artemov to explain his allusions to a new "mental work
machine." He did so . . . and vigorously. In the "not distant future," he
foresaw transistorized machines about the size of today’s transistorized
radios that would encourage the creativity of the individual . . . help the
individual “make full use" of all his available brain cells and mental
energy. Artemov described the machine.

   Visibly startled, the group was quick to respond to the announcement.
Artemov was asked what success the Soviet scientists have had in the construc
tion of these "mental work machines."

   He stated that early models had been desk-top size but they were now
portable ! They were actually in use!

   The discussion zerod in a few minutes later on microwaves.

   Professor Artemov said that Soviet scientists are trying to control these
radio waves and to use them to achieve specific objectives.

   If you are skepticaI of the possibility that elec trical impulses of any
kind can influence hurnan behavior, consider these revelations from a report
titled "The Effect of Electricity on the Human Body" by the World
Meteorological Organization.

Behavior: Traffic accidents rise 70% on days
          of high electrical charging in the
          atmosphere due to weather; indus
          trial accidents jump 20°/o over ordinary
          days.
Pain: Chronically ill patients complain of
      pain twice as much. Amputees
      double their complaints.

This report reveals what appear to be effects of an uncontrolled naturally
occurring form of E.S.B.

   How exact an act can be controlled by E.S.B ? The chilling answer is
hidden in a long and excellently researched report by Neal E. Miller
entitled, “Learning and Performance Motivated by Direct Stimulation of the
Brain." He says, "I have watched electrical stimlllation cause a cat to lower
his head and lap water from a dish, but when the dish was moved to one side,
the cat lowered his head and licked the floor."

   Intensive study confirming the effect of electro-magnetic fields and their
influence on human beings was carried out by Professors Howard Friedman and
Robert O. Becker of the State University of New York in Syracuse and
Professor Charles H. Bachman of Syracuse University Physics Department.
28,642 patients in seven VA hospitals provided the subjects for this study.

   It is a long leap from published reports of this kind to the secretly
developed, highly sophisticated radio-hypnotic control that we call
R.H.I.C.—but it is the information gap in between that we are probing.

   In considering Vasiliev, we simply point out that development of
R.H.I.C.-type procedures began successfully over thirty years ago. Artemov
disclosures are singled out because he revealed information about some of
Russia's recent progress in the field of control. But R.H.I.C. itself
apparently is not Russian or American in origin.

   Professor Delgado's publicly announced work in the general press has
linked itself with large and small animals. However, within the scientific
brotherhood it has leaked out that experiments more pertinent to our road of
inquiry were carried out. In a report to the 29th Educational Conference, Dr.
Delgado had this to say, "Fortunately, experimental data on human E.S.B. have
also begun to accumulate from patients in whom it was necessary, for
therapeutical purpose, to explore the cerebral cortex or to implant some very
fine electrodes inside the brain. Some of these patients have undergone
testing for weeks and months, and lead a nearly normal life while ten, twenty
or even more, fine wires are present in different cerebral areas and ready
for stimulations from outside the scalp."

   He adds: "In our studies, spontaneous conversations of the patients with
the therapist were tape recorded.... from time to tirne, different
intra-cerebral points were electrically stimulated . . . Later,
the entire conversations were transcribed and their ideologicaI and emotional
content were analyzed by independent investigators to determine possible
changes induced by E.S.B. and to evaluate the statistical significance
Results demonstrated that both subtle and spectacular changes in mental
activity can be induced by E.S.B."

   Admitting in this same report the possible existence of . . . to quote him
". . . incipient uneasiness on the part of the audience who may wonder if we
could be surrounded by radio waves which secretly direct our thoughts and
desires," he points out the utter complexity of the spatio-temporal
integration of the brain's nerve cells would preclude robot-like control.
Indeed, Professor Delgado is correct. E.S.B.'s manipulation of behavior is
limited, because it does not harness the will. R.H.I.C. does harness the
will, through the use of post-hypnotic suggestion—and therein lies the danger!

   The hypnotically suggested course of action . . . triggered by E.S.B....
equaIs R.H.I.C., the ultra sophisticated, virtually unlimited technique for
Behavior Control. Has Delgado heard rumors of experimentation in this
direction?

   One gathers from talking with Delgado that he realizes that he stands with
a very few others on a lonely shore gazing out on a just-discovered ocean.
What lies beyond the horizon, you feel, gives him far more cause for somber
reflection than he is willing to admit to. What of the others who stand
beside him . . . men who have arrived independently and over whom he has no
control? He many well have discovered new meanings for the word fear.

   The social implications of E.S.B. and its effect on behavior are dwelt
upon at length in Delgado's papers. Mostly, however, they concern a social
circle that is composed of the Rhesus Macaque. When he speaks of E.S.B.’s
effect on his monkeys' aggressiveness, their inhibitions, their community
social behavior . . . one often gets the feeling that he is thinking way past
the Simian WoIld.

   One particularly interesting remark appears on page 126 of Innovation and
Experiment in Modern Education. "After several days, the monkey had learned
to press the magic lever which controlled the boss' activity, proving that a
monkey may be educated to direct the behavior of a powerful dictator by using
artificial instrumental means."

   Odd words . . . in a report on E.S.B. and monkeys . . . "powerful
dictator" . . . very odd. There are overtones of R.H.I.C. throughout alI the
reports of Behavior Control research. It is always there in th e shadows.

6.
The Time Sense

  R.H.I.C. is the tool for individual control of human behavior. No group
callous enough to play with such a toy could resist the challenge to try to
reach the obvious extension of this kind of experimentation and influence
important events utilizing radio waves.

   Is there any evidence that they have succeeded? Since such control would
have made possible certain of the seemingly impossible events that occurred
in Dallas and New York, we must give some consideration to this effort.

   To our index of terms, add one more - - E.D.O.M. E.D.O.M. refers to
Electronic Dissolution of Memory.
  If that term causes you to sigh weakly and lean backward toward your shelf
of science-fiction, we refer you to the Berkeley Meeting of the American
Association for the Advancement of Science in 1965. There, E.D.O.M. surfaced
for just long enough to be noticed.   At that meeting, Professor J. Anthony
Deutsch of New York University probably didn't realize he provided pioneer
public substantiation of an important segment of the E.D.O.M. theory . . .
but he did.

   Before we consider what his speech implied, let us define roughly what
E.D.O.M. is.

   The sub-rosa work in this field, by the same men who developed R.H.I.C.,
is fraught with implication of space

.   To put it quite simply, E.D.O.M. enables man to juggle with other men's
sense of time. It provides illusionary distortion of memory that destroys
time orientation. For the execution of a crime (like the one in Dallas) or
the execution of an organized warfare tactic, E.D.O.M. offers unbelievable
new powers !   How does it work? Well, let's do a bit of home work.

   The basis of stored memory is the presence of a neutral transmitter
substance, acetylcholine, at a synapse (which separates one nerve cell from
an other). E.D.O.M., through the use of radio-walles,
and ultra-sonic signal tones suddenly builds up an excess of the transmitter
substance so that it cannot transfer excitation from one cell to another. It
in effect blocks memory of the moment, which is our feeling of momentary
time. It stops time—for as long as it is placed in use! E.D.O M. could
therefore be used for—let us say—a period of several minutes to make someone
skip over those minutes without being aware of the passage of time.   Nice
toy, eh? We will see how it may have been brought into play a little later on.

   Professor Deutsch in addressing the Berkeley Meeting of the AAAS described
his work in this field, apparently with no awareness of its connection to
E.D.O.M.

   In a report entitled, "Anti-cholinesterase and Dissolution of Memory," he
notes: "Too much transmitter, like too many cars on a highway, causes a jam
and so stops transmission.... An excess of acetylcholine stops transmission
across a synapse . . .”

   In his report, Dr. Deutsch describes the loss of memory due to the
administration of a drug which raises acetylchoIine levels . . . but
according to The Rumor, the developers of E.D.O.M. have managed to go a step
further and stimulate the production of acetylcholine not by drugs but by
radio waves.

   Additional information which is interesting in connection with the concept
of E.D.O.M. appears ina paper titled  "Micro-electrode Analysis of
Stimulation Effects on a Complex Synaptic Network" by Vahe E. Amassian and
Harry D. Patton, published in 1961.

   Professor Amassian works in physiology at the Professor Albert Einstein
College of Medicine at Yeshiva University in New York. He describes the . . .
movement of ions across neuronal membranes (on a complex synaptic network)
under the action of the electrical field created by the stimulus. This may
lead to either local excitation or inhibition of neurons."

   Still other men of science have published reports that can be related to
the theory of E.D.O.M.
   In Implications for the Neurologicul Sciences, Professor Herbert J.
Jasper, Professor of Experimental Neurology at the Montreal Neurological
Institute, states: ". . . Amassian and Patton have raised the question of the
antidromic effects of electrical stimulation of any axonal fiber system.
These effects are of importance not only because of the resultant blocking
action of the impulses on distant synaptic networks but also because of the
action of axon collaterals which synapse on adjacent systems of neurons . . .”
   Professor Jasper alludes to the reality that intermittent stimulation can
maintain a subject under control in this sentence . . . (which again brings
us back to the doorstep of a familiar laboratory). He writes, "Delgado's
miniaturized stimulator which the animal carries about with him to be
stimulated periodically during 'social' activity (he quotes) is ingenious and
useful for certain types of experiments. . . ." He continues a few sentences
later to point out, "With the improvements in miniaturization brought about
by space and missile programs, we can expect striking new developments
carrying over into brain research."

   This was his thought in 1961, four years before the public had even heard
of Delgado's experiments.
   Just as the introduction of gas in World War I was a startling and
sophisticated form of weaponry—we must be ready to accept that its equivalent
today will go far beyond what we consider “normal". There can be no doubt
that controlled distortion of our perception in different ways is the target
of the men who are preparing tomorrow's weapons.   E.D.O.M., far from being
something out of the far, far future, is closely related to the actual
announced work admitted inside scientific circles. Professor Richard L.
Gregory, Head of the Perception Laboratory in the Department of Psychology at
Cambridge University, has concluded in a recently published paper that
“perception is merely a matter of the brain suggesting and testing various
hypotheses about the information presented to it.... A person’s perception
can be misleading if the visual cues are contradictory or if what is being
observed is either very strange in itself or seen under totally alien
circumstances . . ."

   Dr. Wayne G. Brandstadt points out that the underIying mechanism of our
biological clock or time sense lies in the ribonucleic acid found in body
cells. By studying a single nerve cell kept alive outside the body, we see
that its electronic potential varies in a definite pattern as each day passes.

   A rather peculiar and highly significant indication that the United States
is aware that "playing" with time is more than just idle theorizing came
recently in North Conway, New Hampshire. "Project Time Out" was conducted
with the entire population of the town “cooperating" in one of the
widest-scale psychological experiments ever conducted in connec tion with
"time-sense".

   Wall clocks were stopped, wristwatches checked at a municipal building,
the radio station juggled its program schedule and no time signals were
given. Time stopped dead for about forty-five hours for every single living
soul in North Conway. This ex perirnent was conducted in May of 1965 . . .
and part of its stated "time" objective was to "weigh, as is measurable . . .
reactions to its total elimination" . . .
   Additional measures to blackout time included:

   —All public clocks were masked   —The school ran without time signals for
classes   —The noon whistle was stopped. Briefing and de-briefing sessions
were held with thirty "controlled families" who had committed themselves to a
full blackout.... The addresses of these families were known to those
conducting the project and they were called upon to see "what was happening."

   And so in the sleepy little village nestled in the White Mountains, we
crudely "played" with time. What happened? We found out that 40% felt "lost";
14% didn't; 28% felt more relaxed; and other reactions accounted for 13%.
These were the "general" reaction~ which could have been predicted by a first
term psychology major—but what did the project really set out to ascertain.
We are not told what the psychological reverberations were with the 1,104 who
were submitted to the novel ex erimentation.

   A few reactions trickled out: "By mid-afternoon I was not only hungry but
a nervous wreck, at which point I resorted to tranquilizers" was the
admission of an advertising man. A beautician said she felt "uneasy". A
secretary noted a “nervous, almost frightened feeling". One person admitted
to a psychiatrist that he felt he was floating in mid ocean without a
compass.

  More than a simple test of time sense, Project Time-Out seems to
demonstrate our admission here in the United States of the coming era of
scientific manipulation of "time".

   Make no mistake, the Delgado's, Altemous’, Deutsch's, Vasiliev’s and the
others we have noted, are not dealing in the shadow-world of experimentation.
Their discoveries, their research are pure science in the best sense of the
word.

   So, we may assume, is the work of great companies like Honeywell, Inc.,
who admitted to this author that they are working on a method to penetrate
inside a man's mind and control his brain waves over long distance. This work
is under the direction of Dr. Dwayne Selson in Denver, Colorado.

   But what of the others—those whose motives are far different? How far has
their research gone? To what sinister uses have they already put their tools?

   According to The Rumor, there is already in use a small E.D.O.M.
generator-transmitter which can be concealed on the body of the person.
Contact with this person—a casual handshake or even just a touch—transmits a
tiny electronic charge plus an ultra-sonic signal tone which for a short
while will disturb the time orientation of the persons affected. Not so
precise or predictable a tool as R.H.I.C., it can nevertheless be a potent
weapon for hopelessly confusing evidence in the investigation of a crime, as
we shall see.

   On the brighter side, there are both poetic and humanitarian overtones to
Professor Delgado's statements, which indicate that Behavior Control in the
hands of men such as he give us great hope for the future. In a report
entitled, “Personality, Education and Electrical Stimulation of the Brain,"
he says . . .

   "Science has very recently developed new and powerful tools for the
investigation of the conscious brain, and these tools are waiting for the
many brains of new students who will use them to full advantage.

   "We are in a precarious race between the acquisition of many megatons of
destructive power and the development of intelligent human beings who will
make intelligent use of the formidable forces at our disposal. The brain
scientists may help the educators but they need the educators' help . . .

   "These investigations may clarify the basis of human behavior and will
probably bring more happiness to human beings than the advances in the
physical sciences. Indeed, knowledge of the human mind may be decisive for
our pursuit of happiness and for the very existence of mankind."

   It is the candor of such men as Delgado, Vasiliev, Artemov, and more
recently of David K. Krech, Professor of Psychology at the University of
California, which give us some glimmer of light in a dangerous darkness.

   Professor Krech’s remarks recently to a scientific group show that
responsible men realize that shock ing and frightening disclosures are coming
. . . and the general public must be pIepared for them.

   In a valuable and frank front page story, The New York Times headlined the
story of his speech: MIND CONTROL COMlNG, SCIENTIST WARNS. Dr. Krech was
quoted as saying: "I don’t believe that I am being melodramatic in suggesting
that what our research may discover may carry with it even more serious
implications than the awful, in both senses of the word, achievements of the
atomic physicists. Let us not find ourselves in the position of being caught
foolishly surprised, naively perplexed and touchingly full of publicly
displayed guilt . . .”

pps25-54
--cont--
Aloha, He'Ping,