-Caveat Lector-

from:
http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/99/08/03/timfgnusa01002.html?999
<A
HREF="http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/99/08/03/timfgnusa01002.html?9
99">The Times: World News:Democrat senators 'bullie </A>
-----
August 3 1999 UNITED STATES

Democrat senators 'bullied to back Gore'

Washington: A senior Democratic Senator has accused the White House of
bullying his colleagues to back Vice-President Al Gore in the
presidential race (Damian Whitworth writes). Joseph Biden, the Senator
from Delaware, claimed that pressure was being applied to make Democrats
swing into line behind Mr Gore and reject Bill Bradley, the former
basketball star who is challenging Mr Gore for the nomination.
"It's been made clear to me that the things I say about Bradley that are
nice are heard in Gore's office," Mr Biden said. His comment suggested
that those who did not back Mr Gore were being threatened with
punishment by the Clinton Administration.

"Ninety-five per cent of my colleagues here on the Democratic side
believe that Bill Clinton has consciously turned over the reins of
political power to Al Gore. Whether that's true is not really the point.
That's an unusual tactic, a 1940s' tactic," Mr Biden said.

Mr Gore leads Mr Bradley in the polls but the former Senator from New
Jersey has raised a surprising amount of money and is now a real threat
to the Vice-President.

Copyright 1999 Times Newspapers Ltd
-----
Aloha, He'Ping,