-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ric carter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 1999 9:55 AM
Subject: What is Christianity Worth?

> You're a bright guy. But do you know the answers to the following
> questions?
> 1. What is the total value of *all* Christian property; business,
> churches, bank deposits, art, real estate (including the entire
> Vatican) -- in the World?
> 2. What is the total annual revenue of *all* Christian religions,
> cults and sects, including publishing, education, interests, funeral,
> media, annual income of employees in churches and all other Christian
> business in the World?

Nope, I can't answer those.  Maybe some of our correspondents could
have a whack at coming up with the answers. It'd be an interesting
research project, eh?

A basic problem comes in deciding just what "Christian" means, which
groups are *really* "Christian" - where is the line drawn? A Fundy
Prod might call the Vatican a Pagan/Criminal organization, etc.  Of
the thousands of groups that self-identify as "Christian", NONE agree
that all the others are indeed "Christian".  But for the purpose of
answering your questions, we may consider all self-identified Xians/
Jeezoids, no matter how outré or unorthodox.  What a mob, eh?

Another problem involves individual vs. group ownership.  Do you want
to count the personal properties of all members of Xian groups as if
those were owned by the groups in toto?  Do you distinguish between
those goodies owned by the Vatican & its archdiocesan/diocesan/parish
branches, and goodies owned by individual Roman Catholics?  Or do you
assume that all RCs and their properties are controlled by Rome?

And do we include the worth of intellectual property?  For instance,
the Church of Scientology and its members own vast amounts of real
and personal property, but the Church also claims a great value for
the writings and publications it controls, and it vigorously defends
that value with very aggressive lawyers.  How would you compute the
valuation of Xian doctrines, publications, software, media products?

One could construe Some Xian dogma as constituting a claim to 'own'
the afterlife.  What are Heaven and Hell worth?  IIRC Mormons claim
that their Saints inhabit multitudes of planets around the cosmos.
What's the Universe worth?  And there's the question of the value
of the human spirit.  What are souls worth?  Are souls software?

Ocean, I don't know in what forum you saw my writings; I'm posting
this to the SkeptiChat and CTRL lists.  You may wish to subscribe
to one or both, to see any forthcoming responses.  Enjoy --Ric