http://www.Federalist.com

Date:12 August 1999
Federalist #99-32.dgst

EXERPTS

>From the department of military readiness...

More on the great social experiment.... Two weeks ago, the
Commission on Military Training and Gender-Related Issues voted
6-3 (with one abstention) to recommend the continuance of
"gender-integrated" training in the Army, Air Force and Navy.
In reviewing the commission's full report this week, we found
that when drill sergeants and recruit supervisors were asked
about the state of discipline in the five years since Mr. Clinton
instituted gender-integrated training, 76% of male and 74% of
female recruit trainers said discipline had dropped either
"somewhat" or "significantly."

Around the world...

For the fourth time in eighteen months, Boris Yeltsin replaced
his prime minister and cabinet.  Apparently, the Russians have
adopted the Italian plan of governing. Yeltsin's new prime
minister, Vladimir Putin, a former KGB operative promoted from
his position as director of the KGB's successor organization, the
Federal Security Service, came out swinging. He said that Russia
will take "necessary measures" to restore order and discipline in
Dagestan, a region which is under the assault of Islamic
militants.  No word on whether Ms. Rodham-Clinton will recommend
NATO bombing of Moscow.

And last, "[Bill Clinton says he will] go into deep therapy after
he leaves office," according to Lucinda Franks, the brewer of
last week's much-maligned print interview with Ms.
Rodham-Clinton.  It is not clear if that would be "psycho"
therapy or "massage" therapy.

UPRIGHT

"[I]t's the most unregulated, unanswerable part of the
government, the Justice Department. It's a totally out-of-control
monster."  --David Schippers, majority counsel for Mr. Clinton's
impeachment inquiry

 "The gun-control lobby has long peddled the myth that gun
ownership causes crime.  But...the urban barbarism that has
turned our streets into battlegrounds and our classrooms into
killing fields will not be stopped by an assault on the Second
Amendment...." --Pat Buchanan

PRINT PERSPECTIVE

"China has illegally seized Taiwan ships, flown jet fighters
provocatively across the Taiwan Strait, repeatedly hurled threats
at Taiwan and its elected president and test-fired a new
ballistic missile built in part with stolen U.S. technology.  It
also has cracked down on a peaceful spiritual sect, rounding up
hundreds of members for some old-fashioned Communist
're-education,' and has sentenced two pro-democracy activists to
terms of eight and nine years in prison on charges of 'subverting
state power'."  --Washington Post

DEZINFORMATSIA

"The vocabulary has changed so that tax cuts now look like
irresponsible spending and spending on investments and education
and Medicare looks like the responsible thing to do...."
--Time's Margaret Carlson, on her vocabulary.

"I've known Al Gore since the day he was born and he's never done
anything bad in his life. He's been the best boy."  --ABC's Cokie
Roberts

"At a time when we are so sensitive it seems to the connection
between young people and guns, do you think it's a good idea to
be putting them in contact with guns in high school?" --NBC's
Matt Lauer to Colin Powell on his advocacy of ROTC in high
schools.

SOCIOCRATS

 "As president...I will fight for a national requirement that
every state issue photo licenses for anyone who wants to buy a
handgun. ... Unless you obtain a license and pass a background
test and pass a gun safety test, you could not buy a handgun
under this law. ... (W)e should require a license to own a
handgun..." --Al Gore

"It is radical, it is risky, and it is reckless." --Demo Sen.
Kent Conrad on letting taxpayers keep more of their income.

VILLAGE IDIOTS

"I was thinking of when Peter betrayed Jesus three times and
Jesus knew it but loved him anyway." --The Village Matriarch, Ms.
Rodham-Clinton, explaining why she still loves Bill. **In case
you missed it, she is "Jesus" in the analogy.

SHORT CUTS

"What does the 'DF' in the DF-31 Chinese missile stand for?
'Democratic Fundraiser'." --G. Gordon Liddy

 "How's Pat Buchanan going to build a 2,000-mile wall along the
Mexican border without Mexican labor?" --Comedian Will Durst

 "To older men, [Ms. Rodham-Clinton] reminds them of their first
wife." --GOP pollster Frank Luntz explaining Hillary's low
support among New York men.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.