-Caveat Lector-

© 1999 WorldNetDaily.com

World watchers agree: Countries seeking to undermine the will of U.S.
foreign policy often make blustery, albeit empty, statements that they "are
determined to do XYZ" if the United States does "XYZ" first. It happened all
the time during the Cold War, when the U.S. and USSR maneuvered for
influence in several parts of the world, often simultaneously.
But the predictable nature of those days is over, and the new U.S.
nemesis -- China -- is a horse of a different color, no pun intended.

Since Taiwan's government unilaterally declared that Taipei and Beijing
should be considered by other world leaders as "two different states," the
latter has been making loud grumbling noises and suggesting that force may
have to be used in order to "bring Taiwan to its senses." According to the
most recent analyses of the situation that I've read, I believe the
confidence the U.S. is exuding in its belief that Beijing will not directly
attack Taiwan in some manner is false bravado.

China may have no choice. After all, China's leaders thrive on the
perception that they are ultimately in control of China's destiny. If that
notion is ever destroyed, it's lights out for the communist regime.

Having said that, I do agree that mounting a full-fledged, D-Day-like
invasion of Taiwan by naval elements of the People's Liberation Army (PLA)
is, by all estimates, beyond China's technical capabilities. Everybody knows
that -- the U.S., China and Taiwan. But there clearly are a number of other
options left to the Chinese that can be used; the question remains, will
China choose to use them and if so, will the U.S. be forced into a
confrontation with China?

It is ominous that China has already begun mobilizing a huge force of some
500,000 soldiers -- mostly reservists and former soldiers -- in their Fujian
province, the province closest to Taiwan. Land, air and sea exercises have
begun, and the PLA has even deployed elements of their "Delta Force" -- the
Flying Tigers -- to the province as well. And China has the ability to
shower Taiwan with ballistic missiles in numbers no one is sure about.

Considering the trouble China has internally with Tibet and Muslims in its
Xinjiang province; considering China's faltering economic situation;
considering China's belief that the Taiwan "declaration" and ensuing U.S.
show of force in the region with a pledge to defend Taiwan; and considering
China's perception that the U.S. is bent on pulling another Kosovo at
Beijing's expense, the PLA indeed may have to be used in order to prove to
Chinese citizens that the old men are still in charge and mean what they
say.

Most Chinese already agree, regardless of other factors, that the best
legacy left by Mao Zedong was the fact that he drove all foreigners out of
China (except the British and they left Hong Kong per a treaty agreement),
allowing the world's most populous nation the sovereignty it always sought.
Any move seen to disrupt this solidarity is, in essence, an affront on all
Chinese, regardless of whether or not it is true.

Under this auspice, I believe, lies the heart of a coming conflict with
China over, among other things, Taiwan.

But wait, you say -- isn't President Bill Clinton China's "boy?" Isn't he
beholden first to Beijing, then to Washington? Perhaps he is, or, rather,
was, when he needed their cash to stay in the White House. But those days
are over and besides, who's to say China didn't use Clinton (for access to
vital U.S. technology) more than Clinton used China? Clinton's hand may very
well be forced to order the defense of Taiwan anyway because, as one U.S.
official recently put it, America is on "autopilot" regarding its pledge to
defend Taipei.

Whether China merely assaults a couple of islands controlled by Taiwan, as
it has suggested, or tries to block some Taiwanese shipping or lobs missiles
at over 200 military targets Beijing has identified on the island over the
past several weeks, I believe it is a mistake to think the Chinese
government has no vested interest in attacking Taiwan. They have to save
face with an increasingly anxious population that cannot be allowed to see
any sign of weakness in the leadership.

What Beijing's leaders don't know -- and can't know until after the fact --
is what our response will be. Neither country, however, can afford a long,
protracted and bloody conflict because there are too many variables -- North
Korea, the Middle East, and our own domestic computer problems -- that are
more pressing. Even Russia, for what it's worth, is a variable here since
they have mutual cooperation agreements with China.

For all our intelligence agencies know, China may be counting on/waiting for
any one of these other situations to manifest before they make their move.
But as sure as you're reading this, I believe they will make that move
eventually. Do you agree?

I also believe it would be a mistake because in the end, U.S. forces would
clean their Chinese clocks, no question about it. But at what cost? And are
we willing to pay it? Should we even have to pay it?

Now might be a good time for a couple of things. First, if you're so
inclined to do (and I hope you are) you might want to pray this doesn't
escalate. Second, if you're so inclined to do (and I hope you are) you might
want to get on the horn to your elected representatives and plead with them
to think before they act in this situation. Better now than after the
shooting starts.

----

Jon E. Dougherty is a contributing editor to WorldNetDaily.