-Caveat Lector-

----- Original Message -----
From: jim gregory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: workbike list <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 1999 11:59 PM
Subject: [workbike] Report: Pedicabbing at the Iowa Straw Poll (long)

Last Saturday I worked the Iowa Straw Poll using my
homebuilt pedicab   Since this was the first time I had
seriously carried people for profit, I thought I'd share my
experiences for the benefit of other novices, and hopefully
gain some advice from other pedicab operators who have more
experience than I do.

For those of you unfamiliar with this event, the Iowa Straw
Poll polls members of the Iowa Republican Party to determine
who will be the likely winner in the  Iowa
Republican presidential caucus next February.  This is event
has national significance because Iowa is the first state in
the U.S. with a presidential election.  It often winnows the
field of presidential candidates, since candidates who do
not do well in the poll frequently drop out of the race.
The poll is closely followed by the national media.

The event was held at Hilton Colliseum, which is located
about five blocks from my house.  Hilton is located on the
north end of a huge, level parking lot.  Immediately around
and to the south of the Colliseum, nine of the presidential
aspirants had each set up a large tent to attract
supporters.  To the south of these tents was an area
reserved for bus parking (most candidates had chartered
buses to bring supporters from all over the state--in fact,
_all_ of the available chartered buses in this state and
surrounding regions were chartered for this event) about 2-3
blocks from the Colliseum.  To the south of the bus parking
area was an area set aside for automobile parking for voters
who drove to the event.  This meant that anyone who drove to
the event (and there were many!) had to walk at least four
blocks over a large asphalt parking lot to vote and/or find
their candidate's tent.  Some 10,000 people were expected to
attend, but this estimate turned out to be far too low.
Some 25,000 people voted, and 35,000 people were estimated
to have attended the event.

My pedicab is based loosely on the Penang cabs described in
Tony Wheeler's book, "Chasing Rickshaws".  It has a tadpole
wheel configuration (2 front wheels, 1 rear wheel) with the
passengers sitting between and over the two front wheels.
The cab has three speeds and a rear coaster brake.  I'll
post a picture and more information on it shortly at
http://www.bikesatwork.com/services/pedicab.html

I was a little apprehensive about working at this event.  I
hadn't insured my pedicab yet (I had just completed it the
day before), nor had I received the permission of the
Republican Party or Iowa State University (who owns Hilton
Colliseum) to operate during the Poll.  I didn't know if I
would be allowed on the grounds, or if I would be thrown off
the grounds once I started to operate.

I arrived at the Colliseum parking lot around 11 AM.  By
that time, a sizeable crowd had already arrived, but many
more were still coming.  Most of the buses had not arrived
yet.  My fears of not being able to work at the event turned
out to be unjustified; the event was more chaotic than I had
expected, and no one was really in charge.
I first made a loop around the area, making a note of where
people were most people were walking from and where each
candidate's tent was located.  This information later proved
to be invaluable, since most people, once they arrived, had
no idea where their candidate's tent was located, and I was
able to take them to where they were going quickly.  I
strongly recommend anyone who plans to operate a pedicab for
a similar event to first locate all the important
destinations (including restrooms and refreshment stands)
before beginning.

The largest flow of people was from the automobile parking
area to the north toward the tents and Colliseum to the
south.  So, my plan was to ride north toward the parking
area, look for passengers, then ferry them toward the tents.
Being inexperienced at getting passengers, I felt a little
awkward at first.  It didn't seem appropriate to ask "Do you
want a ride?" to everyone I met on the path toward the
parking lot.  Nor did I want to just sit still and wait for
passengers to come to me, since I thought I'd have a better
chance at finding prospects if I kept moving.  I finally
settled on the strategy of simply riding slowly and watching
the people walking by in the opposite direction.  If I saw
someone smile at my cab or make a favorable comment, I'd
offer "Would you like a ride?"  This method wasn't always
successful, but every second or third person I asked would
usually accept.

Based on the advice of other pedicab operators on this list,
I did not set a standard rate, and worked only for tips.
When people asked how much I charged, I replied "Whatever
you want to pay" or "Whatever you feel is appropriate".
Most people paid between $2 and $5.  Not unexpectedly, I
received the highest tips from passengers with whom I had
developed the best rapport.  I had only minor problems with
passengers who didn't pay anything. Four groups of people
boarded my cab without asking about rates and, when the trip
was complete, simply got off without paying anything.   I
had no signs on my cab indicating I was working for hire or
that I was seeking tips, and wonder if I should add these in
the future.  (Do other pedicab operators do this?)

I wasn't able to get passengers on every trip to the parking
lot in the morning, so I sometimes made a loop back towards
the tents empty,.seeking a "short-haul" trip instead.
Sometimes I was successful, sometimes I wasn't.  The weather
that morning was very pleasant (mid 70's F) and most people,
having sat in a car in traffic quite a while, seemed glad to
be able to get out and walk.

By 2 PM, things were getting very congested.  Multiple buses
were arriving at once and trying to drive thru the crowds to
the tents.   Large numbers of people were simultaneously
trying to walk from their car to the tents.  I was starting
to have some trouble getting thru, as well as find
passengers in the thick of the crowd.  (How would other
operators have dealt with this?)  Also, I noticed I was
starting to get badly sunburned on my face.  I had forgotten
to apply sunscreen before leaving home.  Since I'm
accustomed to riding a bike outside most of the day, this
normally wouldn't be a big problem.   However, my bicycle
helmet visor usually protects my face, and today of course I
wasn't wearing a helmet and had neglected to wear a cap.
The upright riding position of my cab only increased my
facial exposure to the sun.  I decided to go home, have a
quick bite to eat, and get some sunscreen on my face and
arms.

I went home and emptied my fanny pack.  (I stuffed all my
tips in a large fanny pack I was wearing).  So far, I had
made about $38 in tips.

Refreshed, I returned about a half hour later to the Straw
Poll.   Congestion had improved considerably--most of the
buses had arrived, discharged their passengers, and parked
in the bus parking area.  People were now both arriving to
the poll and starting to depart, so I started carrying
passengers in both directions.  By now, I was getting pretty
good at identifying prospective passengers.  The most likely
passengers, I found, were elderly people (especially
couples) who were walking slowly.  These people GREATLY
appreciated the ride, which made me feel good.  They
generally  tipped well for the service, too.

The last few hours, I was REALLY busy.  By then, most
people's legs were getting tired, which made finding
passengers much easier.  I also found my services in demand
from some of the political campaigns.  Only two of the
candiates (Gary Baeur and Steve Forbes) appear to have
rented golf carts to ferry people around for this event, and
they appear to each have had only three or four at most.  I
had the only pedicab.  Hence, representatives from George W.
Bush's and Elizabeth Dole's campaigns started seeking me out
to help ferry their supporters back to their buses.  They'd
ask me to pick up someone sitting by their tent and take
them to board their bus home.  Trouble was, their
description of the prospective passengers and their location
was usually vague, and I usually found someone equally in
need of a ride on my way to their tent.  Hence, while I
could sometime help them out, I wasn't always successful.

It was this last experience of ferrying people to their
buses that confirmed what John (Snyder) had told me some
time ago.  A pedicab really excels at carrying people short
distances over parking lots.   The distance from the tents
to the buses was at best only two or three blocks, but I
could cover this distance much faster than someone could
walk it.  And, for a tired elderly, obese, or disabled
person, this distance was a challenge, especially on a hot
summer day.  Since short runs like these can be turned so
quickly and easily, the tips add up fast, making short runs
like this very profitable.  Longer runs aren't as
profitable, as most people won't usually tip twice as much
for a trip that takes twice as long.  Based on my
experiences Saturday, I'm not sure its profitable to operate
a pedicab in which the average trip distance approaches one
mile in length.

By 7:30 pm, the crowd was starting to thin considerably, my
legs were getting quite tired, and I had promised Joan I'd
make pizza for supper.  So, I decided to call it a day.  I
went home, emptied my fanny pack (which by then was stuffed
with bills), and counted my earnings for the day.  I grossed
$128 for the day.  Not bad for 8 hrs of work.

In retrospect, the Iowa Straw Poll was an excellent event
for operating a pedicab.  The terrain was flat (easy
cycling), the crowd was large (lots of passengers), most
people were middle-aged or older and relatively affluent
(good tippers), and the event lasted all day (continuous
stream of potential passengers).  I really enjoyed it, and
am eagerly awaiting the next one four years from now.

-Jim
Jim Gregory & Joan Stein
Bikes At Work, Inc.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
216 N. Hazel   Ames, IA  50010-5948
515-233-6120
providers of bicycle delivery services & equipment since 1991
http://www.bikesatwork.com