-Caveat Lector-

Bravo for Mr. Bly!

David Bly, Calgary Herald, COLORADO SPRINGS -

The day Bill Clinton came to the United States Air Force
Academy at Colorado Springs, I stood, cameras in hand,
near a wall upon which was engraved he academy's code
of honor: "We will not lie, steal or cheat, nor tolerate among
us anyone who does."

If only the U.S. president would wander past that wall, I
thought. A photo like that could ensure me a comfortable
retirement.

Clinton and I were at the academy this month for the
graduation of the Class of 1999, he as commander-in-chief
of the U.S. armed forces, and I as the father of one of the
944 graduates.

As my wife, Janet, is a U.S. citizen, my children have their
choice of citizenship. Our son Brandon, wanting a career in
aviation, applied to the air force academy because there is no
comparable opportunity anywhere in the world. He graduated with a
degree in aeronautical engineering, was commissioned as an air
force officer and will begin training as a jet pilot next spring.

Graduation from any university is an achievement worth
celebrating. At the USAFA, it's the culmination of four grueling
years of study, training and discipline. Some don't make it for
physical, academic or emotional reasons. A few decide, after two
years, they would rather choose another path. Some are expelled
for violating the honor code.

The USAFA rates high academically, but its aim is more than
academics - it strives to develop moral and ethical leadership.
As cadets pursue their degrees of choice, they are being trained
to become air force officers. Integrity and a high standard of
conduct are expected.

We were not excited about the presidential visit. For us, it was
an annoyance. Brandon's commissioning ceremony had to be moved to
5:45 p.m., because Clinton wanted to use the building where the
commissioning was scheduled. Later, we had to be in our stadium
seats two hours before the graduation, because of security.

For others, it was an insult. I heard of retired air force
officers who boycotted the graduation, because they felt
Clinton's participation, given Monica Lewinsky and other
scandals, detracted from the dignity of the event.

The air force academy is a military base, but it is also a
popular tourist spot. Each day at noon, busloads of tourists
arrive to watch 4,000 cadets line up and march to lunch in an
elaborate parade that leaves the cadets only 15 minutes to eat.

On the day Clinton came to town, some areas were closed as
security was beefed up. Access was limited to those invited to
the graduation. It would not have been a safe day to go skulking
through the academy's forests with bird-watching binoculars.

As the stadium filled, helicopters pounded the air overhead.
Entrance was through metal detectors. Handbags were searched.
Snipers in battle dress patrolled the top tiers of the stadium.
Sprinkled throughout the crowd were secret-service agents, easy
to spot because they wore dark suits, sunglasses and earpieces.
They spoke into their sleeves a lot and scanned the crowds
constantly. There was nothing secret about them.

Clinton's imminent entrance was announced. We stood. And we
stood. Eight minutes later, the president of the United States of
America walked on to the football field and toward the podium. No
explanation was given for why he kept 30,000 people waiting on
their feet in the sun. As he walked under the crossed sabres of
the honor guard, the applause was restrained and polite, but not
enthusiastic. Around me, I heard comments about respecting the
office, if not the man.

No one jeered, but no one cheered. As I watched the newly minted
second lieutenants stand to salute their commander in chief, I
wondered how many of them were thinking what I was thinking: "If
Bill Clinton had been a cadet here, he would have been kicked out
for lying and cheating."

Actually, he probably wouldn't have qualified for admission. To
enter the academy, an applicant must first be nominated by a
member of congress. This year, 8,800 applied for nomination and
2,148 qualified. Of those, 1,275 received appointments to the
academy. They were chosen on the basis of such criteria as
academics, athletics, citizenship and leadership. And, moral
character. If Clinton was aware of the lukewarm reception, he
didn't show it. He cracked his jokes, defended his actions in the
Balkans and took personal credit for saving democracy as we know
it.

As he announced he was sending 7,000 more troops to the Balkans,
I heard more muttered comments about sending troops to a foreign
country to distract attention from personal problems at home.

His manner was smooth, but my American wife was not impressed.
"I'd hoped he would honor the graduates for their achievements,"
she said, "and acknowledge what they have been through to get
this far. But it was just a political speech. He didn't uplift me
or inspire me as I hoped someone in his position would."

Perhaps Clinton's advisers suggested he not talk too much about
what the academy stood for. Perhaps they felt it would not be
astute to talk about personal integrity and a high standard of
conduct. As a Canadian, I felt a little awkward amid the
unabashed patriotism of the event, but as father, could not help
being choked up at seeing 2nd Lieut. Bly step forward, salute
smartly and shake hands with the president. Never mind that this
president had besmirched the office - my son and his comrades had
every reason to stand tall.

The applause became thunderous as the graduates came to attention
at the order of the academy's commanding officer. Clinton was
forgotten as cadets and their families realized this was the end
of a long, hard journey.

It was an intoxicating moment when the superintendent barked:
"Class of 1999 - dismissed!

As nearly a thousand white hats were flung into the air, the
Thunderbirds, the U.S. air force's aerobatic team, roared over
the stadium in salute.

Youngsters spilled onto the field to collect the hats as
souvenirs, and families and friends milled about. There was much
hugging and laughter and celebrating.

I looked beyond the turmoil. The presidential cavalcade, which
had arrived with much fanfare, was quietly leaving the stadium.
Few noticed.

No one applauded. After all, it wasn't about a president who had
lied and cheated. It was about 944 young men and women who
hadn't.

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.