-Caveat Lector-

>From FAIR

> FAIR  Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting     130 W. 25th Street
> New York, NY 10001
>
> WILL THE MEDIA REMEMBER AL-SHIFA?
> Embassy Bombings Commemorated Without Mention of Factory Attack
>

> August 17, 1999
> Contact: Seth Ackerman
>
> This month marks the anniversary of the August 7, 1998 terrorist
> attacks on American embassies in Tanzania and Kenya, which
> claimed the lives of 224 people, including 12 Americans. The
> anniversary has received substantial media attention, including
> stories on NBC's Sunday Today (8/8/99), ABC's World News Saturday
> (8/7/99), CBS's Evening News (8/7/99), and the Washington Post
> (8/8/99), the New York Times (8/7/99), and Los Angeles Times
> (8/7/99).
>
> But virtually absent from this coverage has been any mention of
> the U.S. response which followed those attacks: the cruise
> missile raids launched two weeks later by President Clinton
> against camps in Afghanistan and against the Al-Shifa
> pharmaceutical plant in Khartoum, Sudan.
>
> Although U.S. officials originally claimed the Sudanese factory
> was involved in the production of chemical weapons and had links
> to accused terrorist Osama bin Laden, those assertions—along with
> many of the subsequent, shifting allegations offered in the days
> following the attack—have turned out to be inaccurate.
>
> To date, the U.S. has presented no convincing evidence directly
> linking the factory to either bin Laden or chemical weapons. But
> it should be noted that even if the U.S. could offer credible
> evidence that the Al-Shifa plant made chemical weapons, or that
> it was linked to bin Laden, the missile strike would almost
> certainly still be a violation of the United Nations charter and
> a serious contravention of international law. The Charter permits
> countries to use force only in "self-defense" against an "armed
> attack"—an attack which, according to the accepted legal
> standard, must be so imminent as to leave "no choice of means,
> and no moment of deliberation."
>
> August 20 will mark the anniversary of the Al-Shifa attack. With
> the notable exceptions of the Washington Post and U.S. News &
> World Report, which recently ran informative articles about the
> Al-Shifa case (Washington Post, 7/25/99; U.S. News &World Report,
> 8/16-23/99), the mainstream media have paid little attention to
> the Al Shifa case.
>
> FAIR encourages journalists to use the anniversary of the cruise
> missile attacks as an opportunity to review the evidence upon
> which the Sudan attack was based, and the legality of the attacks
> on both Sudan and Afghanistan. Media outlets should look back in
> their reporting not only on crimes committed against the U.S.,
> but also on possible crimes committed by the U.S.
> -------
>

> For more information on the media's response to the Al-Shifa
> attack, please read "Media in Cruise Control."

> [...]

<<Of course, Bill Jeff and Mad Maddy et al are going to
establish a fund to which they, personally, will pony up some
jack to offset the American taxpayers' bill for rebuilding the
aspirin factory ? A<>E<>R >>

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.