-Caveat Lector-

http://intellectualcapital.com/issues/issue284/item6183.asp

> [...]
> help of Ralph Nader’s organizations, a gory-but-misleading NBC
> news report and the nation's trial lawyers, some 3,500 lawsuits
> were filed, Dow Corning declared bankruptcy, and the left had
> another science-gone-mad issue. Almost immediately, credible
> medical organizations, from the American Medical Association and
> Harvard University to the Mayo Clinic and the New England Journal
> of Medicine found no basis for silicone-gel breast implants
> causing cancer.
>
> On June 24 this year, the National Academy of Sciences Institute
> of Medicine issued its final congressionally requested report.
> What was the link between the implants and diseases such as lupus
> and cancer? There was none.
>
> Factual manipulation: an American tradition
>
> In the first example, the scientist in the government laboratory
> was lying for financial gain. (Does “it’s only about money” sound
> like a good defense?). In the second, an agency of the government
> combined with private organizations to present false data. In the
> third, the FDA lied about breast implants causing disease.
>
> Unfortunately, it does not stop there. Accepted prevarication at
> the top encourages misinterpretation further down the liberal
> food chain. Public broadcasting stations swearing they are
> unbiased presenters of information while as a matter of policy
> trading fund-raising lists with the Democratic Party, for
> example.
>
> Or the Death Penalty Information Center, a private advocacy
> group, releasing the conclusions of a study without the
> supporting data, purportedly showing that in Philadelphia black
> murderers are four times as likely as whites to receive the death
> penalty. In truth, blacks received a death-penalty sentence 18%
> of the time, whites 13% -- hardly four times -- and a shift of
> approximately 2% in sentencing among blacks and whites would have
> made the rates equal.
>
> <Picture:  The manipulation of information is used to increase
> the power of the state  > The manipulation of information is used
> to increase the power of the state The common thread in these
> examples is that the untruthful manipulation of information is
> being used to increase the power of the state. Creating the
> illusion of danger keeps governments in power, issuing more
> regulations, funding more agencies, rewarding faithful
> constituencies with financial gain and pushing the agendas of
> political organizations. The symbiotic relationship between the
> government and environmental activists -- anti-technology
> advocates and racial-quota advocates, for example -- often
> creates a self-fulfilling prophecy.
>
> So the next time you feel superior to those red retrogrades
> running the government in Beijing, forget it. Unfortunately, the
> bell tolls for us as well.
>
> Pete du Pont is the editor of IntellectualCapital.com. He is a
> former Republican governor and congressman from Delaware. His

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.