Mario Paz, a grandfather in Compton, CA (near LA) was killed during a
SWAT team raid on the wrong house, in a case reminiscent in many ways of
the Donald Scott case.  Even after killing the man they seized the
family's $10,000 life savings, which they had recently removed from the
bank because of fears of Y2K bank collapse.  This is an outrageous
story.  Please pass it around to other lists.

> Pubdate: Thu, 26 Aug 1999
> Source: Los Angeles Times (CA)
> Copyright: 1999 Los Angeles Times.
> Contact: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Fax: (213) 237-4712
> Website: http://www.latimes.com/
> Forum: http://www.latimes.com/home/discuss/
> Author: Anne-Marie O'Connor, Times Staff Writer
>
> BEREFT FAMILY DISPUTES POLICE SHOOTING REPORT
>
> It was an hour before midnight when an El Monte police SWAT team,
serving
> search warrant as part of a broad-ranging narcotics investigation,
> undertook what it called the "high-risk entry" of a Compton
home--shooting
> the locks off the front and back doors.
>
> Their warrant, which named no one in the Paz home, says police
expected to
> find marijuana and cash belonging to a suspected member of a drug ring
who
> had allegedly used the house as a maildrop. They found no drugs, but
in
the
> course of the search they shot a retired grandfather twice in the
> back--killing him.
>
> The widow was hustled out of the house in nothing but panties, a towel
and
> plastic handcuffs. She and six others were later taken away and
intensively
> interrogated, but no one was charged. Ten thousand dollars in cash was

> seized as evidence,along with a .22-caliber rifle and three pistols,
> according to investigators for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's
Department.
> The family said that the money was patriarch Mario Paz's life savings
and
> that he kept firearms for protection in the high-crime neighborhood.
>
> El Monte police, who obtained the search warrant and conducted the
Aug. 9
> raid, said they were using standard procedure for dangerous places
where
> they fear officers will be fired on. A sheriff's investigator said the
El
> Monte officer shot Paz because he thought he was reaching for a
> weapon--something Paz's widow, Maria Luisa, adamantly denies.
>
> Now the six children of Mario Paz--a grandfather of 14 who would have
> turned 65 this week--are demanding to know why the police burst into
the
> home while the family was sleeping. And what were El Monte police
doing in
> Compton?
>
> The arrest warrant said the Paz home was considered high-risk because
> high-powered rifles were found in a search of another home linked to
the
> suspect. And El Monte police say their aggressive anti-drug strategy
> commonly prompts them to serve search warrants as far afield as
Riverside,
> San Diego and San Bernardino.
>
> "We go all over. Anything related to our town we go out and get," said
El
> Monte Police Sgt. Steve Krigbaum, the head of the force's Narcotics
> Policing Division.
>
> "If we can show it directly impacts narco activity here, we'll go
after
> it," he said.
>
> Brian Dunn, the lawyer representing the Pazes, said the officers
should
> have known the family did not pose a threat.
>
> "They fired shotguns through doors and windows as people were
sleeping,"
> Dunn said. "The tactics in this case were beyond merely reckless. I
don't
> think there's anything [the family] could have done to prevent [Mario
Paz]
> from getting killed. This was no different than a home invasion, in
terms
> of what happened to the family."
>
> 'It Was Like War,' Neighbor Says
>
> Family members said they believed that a robbery was in progress when
they
> heard the shooting.
>
> Sheriff's investigators say El Monte police shot the locks off the
front
> and back doors to the house, shot a "diversionary device" into a back
> bedroom window that illuminated it, and threw a so-called flash-bang
> grenade on the ground behind the house. Neighbors said they awoke with
> jolt when they heard the shooting.
>
> "It was like war," said Luz Escamilla, who lives next door.
>
> El Monte Police Lt. Craig Sperry, commander of the Special Emergency
> Response Team that carried out the operation, said up to 20 El Monte
> officers were involved in the raid. He said he could not comment on
> specific tactics used that night because of the possibility of
litigation.
> He said Compton police, who have refused all comment, were also at the

scene.

> However, Sperry said, "We always announce, 'El Monte police. Open the
door.' "

> El Monte Assistant Police Chief Bill Ankeny said an explosive entry is
> standard SWAT procedure and can involve opening a door with a
battering
ram
> or a round of gunfire.
>
> "We throw flash-bang grenades. We bust open the doors. You've seen it
on
> TV," Ankeny said. "We do bang on the door and make an
announcement--'It's
> the police'--but it kind of runs together. If you're sitting on the
couch,
> it would be difficult to get to the door before they knock it down."
>
> Sleeping on their couch, the Paz family said, was David Martinez, 63,
> convalescing friend. He was unhurt.
>
> Until the raid occurred, the family said, they had been resting after
> routine Monday.
>
> Maria Luisa Paz, 51, said her husband, a Mexican immigrant, had been
driven
> to Tijuana for doctor's appointments that morning. She showed a
reporter
> his purchases of medicine prescribed for his heart condition, prostate

> ailment, and back problems from a 1985 on-the-job injury.
>
> She said he also emptied his Tijuana bank account of more than $10,000
in
> savings, fearing that the money could be lost to the much-publicized
> computer complications that some people are afraid will occur Jan. 1.
She
> showed a reporter the bank receipt for the withdrawal.
>
> Mario took his medicine at 8 p.m. and went to bed, she said.
>
> El Monte police showed up about 11 p.m., according to Sheriff's Lt.
Marilyn
> Baker, who is conducting the standard investigation into the
> officer-involved shooting. Myrna Serrano, 44, a friend of the family
who
> lives in a converted garage at the front of the house, said she awoke
> gunfire.
>
> "I didn't even hear them say they were police," said Serrano, an
employee
> at an art frame factory. "I thought they were thieves coming to rob
us. I
> never dreamed they would be police busting into the house in
camouflage
and
> hoods."
>
> Maria Argueta, who works as a nanny in Manhattan Beach, awoke in a
back
> bedroom to the flash-bang grenade and screamed, "Don't kill me," the
family
> said.
>
> By that time, Maria Luisa Paz said, she may have heard officers
yelling
> "search warrant," but "I had no idea who they were. They didn't show
badges
> or anything at all. I yelled to my husband, 'Get on the ground! We're
being
> robbed.' "
>
> She said she got on the floor in her panties while her husband got his

> $10,000 from under the bed and put the money and his hands on the bed.

> At this point, Sheriff's Lt. Baker said, two El Monte officers entered

> Mario and Maria Luisa's bedroom while six others searched the rest of
the
> house.
>
> Conflicting Accounts of Patriarch's Actions
>
> The officers said they ordered the couple--in Spanish and English--to
show
> their hands, according to Baker. The lieutenant said Mario Paz
"appeared
> be reaching for something, and believing him to be arming himself, the

> officer fired two rounds . . . striking Mr. Paz in the back."
>
> His widow described the scene differently:
>
> "They yelled and yelled. I said, 'My husband is sick! He's an old
man!' I
> grabbed [the officer's] leg," she recalled. "[The officer] just
pointed
the
> gun at my husband and shot."
>
> She said the officer, wearing a mask, "just looked at me." Then
another
> officer came in and ordered her in Spanish to "get up and put
something
> on," she said.
>
> As police hustled her outside, someone handed her a towel that she
draped
> across her chest.
>
> Sheriff's investigators said two of the pistols were in a drawer on
the
> floor near Mario and a third was in a bureau drawer with the rifle.
>
> Maria Luisa was allowed to dress before she was put into a mini-van,
where
> she found that her great-nephew, Juan Carlos Mechaca, had been
handcuffed
> when he got home from practicing with his band. His mother, Leonela
Ramos,
> Mario Paz's niece, had been detained when she got home from her night
shift
> at a credit card factory. Maria Luisa's son Jorge, 20, a computer
drafter
> for a Norwalk firm who had been in another bedroom when the raid
occurred,
> was also handcuffed. Altogether, seven people were taken to the
Compton
> Police Department for questioning by El Monte police and Los Angeles
County
> sheriff's investigators.
>
> Though they stayed until dawn, the Paz family said they were never
read
> their rights. Sheriff's Lt. Baker said that was because the family was
not
> under arrest--they were detained as witnesses to the shooting.
>
> "They were not [detained as] suspects," Baker said. "They were taken
in as
> witnesses to the officer-involved shooting. Witnesses do not get read
their
> Miranda rights. People can be detained in handcuffs for safekeeping."
>
> But Jorge Paz said one sheriff's investigator "asked if my dad sold
drugs
> or ever had a problem with anybody. I said, 'No, no.' My dad didn't
even
> want us to smoke or drink. He wanted us all to go to school. He was a
good
> man."
>
> The drug suspect named in the warrant is Marcos Beltran Lizarraga. The
Paz
> family said that he lived next door in the early 1980s, that Mario
sold
him
> a car six years or so ago and that he occasionally used the Pazes'
mailing
> address. The family said that they sometimes would mark the mail
"return
> sender" but that on other occasions their father gave it to Beltran's
nephew.

> Mario Paz was pronounced dead at 11:29 p.m. at Martin Luther King
Jr./Drew
> Medical Center, according to the county coroner's office.
>
> At the time he died, he was planning to sell his house and move to
> Colorado, according to Mario Paz Jr, 31, a computer operations
supervisor
> for the Denver office of a California HMO.
>
> "This was a real shock," he said.
>
> El Monte Assistant Chief Ankeny said his department has begun an
internal
> investigation. He said two officers were placed on routine
administrative
> leave after the shooting but have since returned to work.
>
> "Obviously, the officer who killed the person actually felt he was
being
> threatened," he said.
>
> John Bellizzi, director of the International Narcotics Enforcement
Assn.
in
> Albany, N.Y., said surprise is an essential element in getting
evidence
for
> SWAT team raids. Because of the danger of fighting drug dealers,
officers
> "have to take serious precautions to safeguard their lives, and
sometimes
> unforeseen things happen. It's unavoidable sometimes. These drug
dealers
> are better equipped sometimes than the police are."
>
> But David Lynn, a private investigator assigned to the case, said:
"Even
if
> this guy was the 'Godfather,' that would not justify the level of
violence
> used in this search."

> Distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior
interest in
> receiving the included information for research and educational
purposes.
> ---
>

> -THE KUBBY FILES-
> http://www.kubby.com

To unsubscribe, email              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
with this in the body:              UNSUBSCRIBE FEAR-list