-Caveat Lector-

>From http://www.nationalpost.com/commentary.asp?f=990831/67261
<<E-Mail-able>>

> [...]
> The corporation understands NAFTA gives it the right to shape Canadian
> government policy. "Because of NAFTA, we are now stakeholders in the national
> water policy in Canada," declared Jack Lindsay, its chief executive.
>
> The other major global institution that is swiping national legal jurisdictions
> is the World Trade Organization. The WTO enforces a number of international
> trade agreements on goods, services, intellectual property rights, food safety,
> animal and plant health, financial services, food, agriculture policy,
> investment, technology and telecommunications.
>
> What makes the WTO so powerful is that it has both the legislative and judicial
> authority to challenge laws, policies and programs of countries that do not
> conform to WTO rules and strike them down if they are seen to be too "trade
> restrictive." Cases are decided -- in secret -- by a panel of three trade
> bureaucrats. Once a WTO ruling is made, worldwide conformity is required. A
> country is obligated to harmonize its laws or face the prospect of perpetual
> trade sanctions or fines.
>
> The WTO, which contains no minimum standards to protect the environment, labour
> rights, social programs or cultural diversity, has already been used to strike
> down a number of key nation-state environmental, food safety and human rights
> laws. Recently, U.S. laws to protect endangered Asian sea turtles from shrimp
> nets and dolphins from drift nets have been successfully challenged at the WTO.
> All WTO agreements set out detailed rules intended to constrain the extent to
> which governments can regulate international trade, or otherwise "interfere"
> with the activities of large corporations. WTO agreements provide extensive
> lists of things governments can't do.
>
> Says U.S.-based Public Citizen, "The emerging case law indicates that the WTO
> keeps raising the bar against environmental laws." Renato Ruggiero, the former
> WTO secretary-general, has admitted environmental standards in the WTO are
> "doomed to fail and could only damage the global trading system." Another WTO
> official was quoted in the Financial Times in April, 1998, saying, "The WTO is
> the place where governments collude in private against their domestic pressure
> groups." Democracy is a fragile creature. Through massive privatization and
> deregulation, people all over the world have already lost control over many
> areas of social and environmental policy. Now, backed by the International
> Chamber of Commerce that wants to establish a binding global legal system to
> protect transnational corporate interests, citizens are losing their democratic
> rights to a fair, open and just legal system as well.
>
> Maude Barlow is the national chairperson of The Council of Canadians.
> Copyright © Southam Inc. All rights reserved.

>From http://www.tradewatch.org/publications/gtwpubs.htm

><>< Note:  'For More Information' or 'Available on the Web' means there's a
hot linque at the site ><><

> [...]
>
> NAFTA's Broken Promises: Failure to Create U.S. Jobs, February 1997; #E8859, $10
> NAFTA's Three Year Reality: Spiraling Job Loss and Trade Deficits Instead of Job
> Creation. This report exposes NAFTA's failure to create the new jobs promised by
> the pact's corporate and governmental promoters. - Available on the Web
>
> NAFTA's Broken Promises: The Border Betrayed 1996, January 1996; #E8034, $15
> This study examines increased water and air pollution, increased illegal dumping
> of hazardous waste and additional industrial concentration along the U.S./Mexico
> border resulting from NAFTA. Available only on the Web
>
> The Failed Experiment: NAFTA at Three Years, June 1997; #E5555, $5
> This study, prepared by Public Citizen, the Economic Policy Institute, and other
> organizations concerned with the impact of trade on working families and the
> environment, examines NAFTA's track record after three years of operation. The
> report finds that NAFTA resulted in downward pressure on U.S. wages, massive
> trade deficits, thousands of jobs lost, hundreds of weakened environmental
> regulation and enforcement, increased imports on economic collapse in Mexico,
> and unsafe food, the undermining of workers' rights to organize. - Available on
> the Web
>

> Trading Away U.S. Food Safety, 1994, $20

> World Trade Organization
>
> A Citizen's Guide to the World Trade Organization: Everything You Need to Know
> to Fight for Fair Trade, August, 1999; #E5563, $2 - Also Available on the Web
>
> Comments of Public Citizen Regarding U.S. Preparations for the WTO's 1999
> Ministerial Meeting - Available on the Web
>
> WTO European Union Beef Hormone Amicus Brief - Available Only on the Web
>
> WTO Venezuela Gas Amicus Brief
>
> International Harmonization of Standards Briefing Paper by Lori Wallach
> Over the past two decades, new international trade and investment rules of
> unprecedented scope and power, coupled with massive changes in business
> practices and organizations, have resulted in an astonishing transformation.
> This new arrangement is often labeled "economic globalization." In addition to
> its economic effects, globalization has major implications for domestic
> governance, and thus for public health, economic development, social and
> environmental policy.

> Globalization
>
> The New Protectionism, Protecting the Future Against Free Trade
> by Tim Lang & Colin Hines, with a forward by Jim Hightower - For More
> Information
>
> The Case Against Free Trade
> A collection of articles designed to clarify the "global economy," and explore
> the affects on our lives. Includes "GATT, NAFTA and the Subversion of the
> Democratic Process," a chapter by Ralph Nader and Lori Wallach. Order on-line or
> try your local book store

> To order one of these publications, please call (202) 588-1000 or (800) 289-3787

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.