Date sent:  02 Sep 99 11:11:21 -0700
From:       [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark Mendlovitz)
Subject:   Bush reveals more of his immigration, NAFTA, China positions

Read the bottom paragraph of this article. Can Bush be any more
transparent in demonstrating his open-borders, pro-NAFTA, pro-China
positions? Is this what the Republican Party wants their nominee to stand
for? -MM

                  Bush refuses to answer
                  new round of drug
                  questions

                  By MARGERY BECK
                  Associated Press Writer

                  September 1, 1999
                  Web posted at: 9:49 a.m. EDT (1349 GMT)

                  COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa (AP) -- Read his lips:
                  no more questions about drugs.
                  Republican presidential front-runner George W.
                  Bush is sticking to his pledge not to answer any more
                  questions concerning past drug use. During a campaign
                  stop Tuesday night in Council Bluffs, Iowa, the Texas
                  governor doggedly rebuffed one reporter's repeated
                  attempts to ask if he thinks his image is being
                  redefined by the drug issue. "I'm not going to talk
                  about it anymore," he repeated, clearly agitated. "I
                  think it's time somebody stood up and said we're going
                  to cleanse the system of rumors and gossip and
                  innuendo." When asked what he thinks of his public image
                  -- sans any reference to the drug speculation -- Bush
                  said, "I think I'm doing pretty well." Barbara Bush says
                  she and her husband never asked their eldest son if he
                  has used cocaine. "We had no need to," she said. In an
                  interview with a Manchester, N.H., television station,
                  the former first lady said it was "fair" for the news
                  media to question her son about possible illegal drug
                  use years ago, but she said he was right to refuse to go
                  into details. "I am proud of the stand he has taken,"
                  she said. "The time has come to say, 'Enough.' Judge a
                  man by what he has done." It is irrelevant whether a
                  presidential candidate ever used drugs, Mrs. Bush said,
                  suggesting that the news media concentrate less on
                  personal matters. "Twenty-five, 30 years ago? I don't
                  think it matters," Mrs. Bush said. "That's ridiculous.
                  ... Let's ask candidates about what they have done" in
                  public policy, pointing to her son's record as Texas
                  governor. Bush also addressed questions about his stance
                  on campaign finance reform. With his campaign coffers
                  set to top $50 million by the end of September, Bush
                  said he would like to see the individual donation limit
                  of $1,000 raised "to make it easier for candidates to
                  raise money." He added that campaign regulations should
                  ban corporate contributions when shareholders and union
                  members have no voice in where the donation goes. While
                  campaigning earlier Tuesday in Omaha, Neb., Bush touted
                  plans to follow through with last year's congressional
                  call to transform the federally funded Head Start child
                  development program into a preschool reading program.
                  "Head Start has done a good job in providing health
                  needs," the Texas governor said at Our Lady of
                  Guadalupe-St. Agnes Mission School. "I believe it ought
                  to include an education program as well." Head Start is
                  a national program that provides development services
                  for low-income, preschool children aged 3 to 5. Funding
                  is provided through the federal Health and Human
                  Services Department's Administration for Children and
                  Families. Bush plans to disclose his plans for Head
                  Start on Thursday at a stop in Los Angeles. Bush's
                  emphasis on education and his call to keep the U.S.
                  Department of Education -- under fire from a number of
                  conservative Republicans -- may sound like the battle
                  cry of a Democrat. But those policies would be cogs of a
                  larger education plan that includes local control for
                  schools and school vouchers allowing public school
                  students to transfer to private schools -- ideas that
                  help define Bush as a Republican. The presidential
                  hopeful who went to college at Yale and Harvard said his
                  job as president will be to "set a tone" for a
                  heightened emphasis on education. "I believe every child
                  can read," Bush said. "And I believe that ought to
                  become the whole mentality of our education programs,
                  and that we ought to expect the very best for
                  everybody." While Bush would not stop talking about
                  education, he averted questions about the size of his
                  growing campaign war chest. "I know there are some who
                  are talking about my capacity to raise money,
                  particularly some of my opponents," he said. "I would
                  suggest that if you ask them, they would like to trade
                  places." Bush attended a $1,000-per-person fund-raiser
                  Tuesday at a private home in Omaha. The event was
                  expected to raise $250,000. Bush also met privately with
                  a group of Hispanic business leaders at the school. At a
                  tour of ConAgra Inc.'s headquarters in downtown Omaha,
                  Bush stressed the need to establish trade with China and
                  increase support of the North America Free Trade
                  Agreement to boost a struggling farm economy. He said
                  Congress needs to match temporary worker permits for
                  immigrants with job demand and availability. "If you can
                  make 50 cents in Mexico and $50 in Nebraska, you're
                  coming," Bush said of the influx of Hispanic immigrants
                  to the state.

Help Pat and the Brigade in our Battle for the White House...
Go to: http://www.gopatgo2000.org/000-v-helppat.html
Spread the word -- forward this email across the USA!
Don't Miss Out - Join the BRIGADE Email List! - Visit:
Official WebSite for Patrick J. Buchanan for President
Web: http://www.gopatgo2000.org
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Tel: 1-703-734-2700
WebMaster - Linda Muller - [EMAIL PROTECTED]