                       V I R U S  R E P O R T

              (by the Trend US Virus Research Group)
Date: 08.31.99                      Issue: 8.6
Issue Preview: TOADIE (Variant 6810, 6585, 7800.A, and 7800.B)
               10 Most Prevalent In-The-Wild Viruses Surveyed by Trend US,
Top 10 Viruses Trend US Customers are Concerned About, W97M_OZWER

1. Beware Pegasus Mail Users - here comes TOADIE!
TOADIE is a new virus family, which spreads itself by attaching infected
files to outgoing email messages. While several other viruses do this,
including the infamous W97M_MELISSA virus, the TOADIE virus family is the
first one to use Pegasus Mail. All previous viruses used Microsoft Outlook
to spread via email. Besides spreading via email, TOADIE.6810, 7800.A and
7800.B also spread as a worm through Internet Relay Chat (IRC). While TOADIE
does not contain any harmful payload, we advise all customers to upgrade to
the latest Trend pattern file, which detects all four known variants of
TOADIE.

To read more about the TOADIE virus family, please visit our website at:
http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/security/sa082799.htm

2. 10 Most Prevalent In-The-Wild Viruses Surveyed by Trend US
               (week of: 08/23/99 to 08/29/99)
1.  TROJ_SKA
2.  JOKE_FLIPPED
3.  JOKE_DOH
4.  JOKE_GESCHENK
5.  JOKE_WOW
6.  TROJ_DMSETUP.D
7.  W97M_ETHAN.A
8.  PE_CIH
9.  W97M_MARKER
10. W97M_MELISSA

For the most prevalent viruses for the month of July'99, please visit our
website at:
http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/most_prevalent.htm

3.  Top 10 Viruses US Customers are Concerned About
             (where systems were not infected)
1.  TOADIE
2.  W97M_NOHOPE
3.  JOKE_FLIPPED
4.  PE_KRIZ.3740
5.  TROJ_SKA
6.  JOKE_GESCHENK
7.  California/Wobbler Hoax
8.  W97M_GROOV.B
9.  Win a holiday Hoax
10. Join the Crew Hoax

4. W97M_OZWER - malicious code for Word 97
Also reported this week was W97M_OZWER, a macro virus with a destructive
payload. While W97M_OZWER does not delete any files, it moves the text
inside documents around. Microsoft Word users whose systems are infected by
this virus can easily end up with a document full of incorrect sentences. In
order to avoid getting infected with this virus (or any other virus), we
advise Trend customers scan all incoming files with the latest Trend pattern
file.

W97M_OZWER is detected and cleaned with Trend pattern file 577 or later.

As a subscriber to this newsletter, Trend Micro would like to extend you a
10% discount on our top-rated desktop virus package, PC-cillin. Give your
desktop the best protection around, at a full 10% off either the
downloadable or the physical CD versions.

To buy PC-cillin at a discount, please visit our website at:
For Windows 95-98 http://www.antivirus.com/offers/vb.htm
For Windows NT http://www.antivirus.com/offers/vbnt.htm