-Caveat Lector-

WASHINGTON, Sept 4 AP - Microsoft Corp sought to assure consumers that it
did not insert a secret backdoor in its popular Windows software to allow
the US government to snoop on their sensitive computer data.

The sensational charge of a quiet alliance between Microsoft and the US
National Security Agency came after a Canadian programmer stumbled across an
obscure digital ``signing key'' that had been labeled the ``NSA key'' in the
latest version of Microsoft's business-level Windows NT software.

An organisation with such a signature key accepted by Windows could
theoretically load software to make it easier to look at sensitive data _
such as e-mail or financial records _ that had been scrambled. The flaw
would affect almost any version of Windows, the software that runs most of
the world's personal computers.

Microsoft forcefully denied yesterday that it gave any government agency
such a key, and explained that it called its function an ``NSA key'' because
that federal agency reviews technical details for the export of powerful
data-scrambling software.

``These are just used to ensure that we're compliant with US export
regulations,'' said Scott Culp, Microsoft's security manager for its Windows
NT Server software. ``We have not shared the private keys. We do not share
our keys.''

The claim against Microsoft, originally leveled by security consultant
Andrew Fernandes of Mississauga, Ontario, on his Web site, spread quickly in
e-mail and discussion groups across the Internet, especially in those
corners of cyberspace where Microsoft and the federal government are often
criticised.

Culp called Fernandes' claims ``completely false.''
An NSA spokesman declined immediate comment.
Bruce Schneier, a cryptography expert, said the claim by Fernandes ``makes
no sense'' because a government agency as sophisticated as the NSA doesn't
need Microsoft's help to unscramble sensitive computer information.

``That it allows the NSA to load unauthorised security services, compromise
your operating system _ that's nonsense,'' said Schneier, who runs
Counterpane Internet Security Inc. ``The NSA can already do that, and it has
nothing to do with this.''

Fernandes, who runs a small consulting firm in Canada, said he found the
suspiciously named ``NSA key'' _ along with another key for Microsoft _
while examining the software code within the latest version of Windows NT.

The existence of the second key was discovered earlier by other
cryptographers, but Fernandes was the first to find its official name and
theorise about its purpose.
``That (the US government) has ... installed a cryptographic back door in
the world's most abundant operating system should send a strong message to
foreign (information technology) managers,'' he warned on his Web site.

But Fernandes seemed less worried yesterday in a telephone interview.

``I don't know that they have reason to lie,'' he said. ``The main point is,
you can't really trust what they're saying. They've been caught with their
hand in the cookie jar. In fact, I think they're being fairly honest, but
you don't know what else is in Windows.''

-AP

BOOTSTRAP: RESET 0,RESET 7, RESET 0, RESET3.  HALT/RUN, MA00003425,
MD00000000.  INT I/O. STALL I/0. BOOTSTRAP SEQUENCE COMPLETE.