-Caveat Lector-

""The literature of modern medicine demands strict adherence to the rigors of
the scientific method: which includes strict intellectual honesty and integrity
and avoiding self-deception. ""

<<This is fine except how many times do the professionals indulge in activities
that would be best left on the drawing boards?  Of course, there are varieties
of ways -- to approach infinity -- for "practicing" medicine but at what point
do they become means of 'self-deception'  {"doing good", i.e.} or 'other-
deception' {giving hope when and where there might be little or none}.
Deification of the medical community to the point of acceptance by patients of
any and all treatments and procedures may approach the realm of the absurd.
There should be some sort of 'balance' yet the scales tip toward the 'provider'
rather than 'reason'.  The article below examines a result of the deification
of the medicoes ("e" Dan?) in another emotionally charged issue.  "'Cause the
doctor said so ?"  A<>E<>R >>

>From NewsMax.CoM

> Scientific Misconduct By Physician Propagandists: A Perspective On Gun
> ViolenceMartin L. Fackler, MDSeptember 7, 1999
>

> ...learning how to not fool ourselves — of having utter scientific integrity —
> is, I'm sorry to say, something that we haven't specifically included in any
> particular course that I know of. We just hope you've caught on by osmosis.
>
> The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest
> person to fool....I'm talking about a specific, extra type of integrity that
> is...bending over backwards to show how you're maybe wrong, that you ought to
> have when acting as a scientist. And this is our responsibility as scientists,
> certainly to other scientists, and I think to laymen.
>
> Surely You’re Joking Mr. Feynman
> (Feynman RP, New York, WW Norton, 1985, pp. 342-3)
>

> The above citation by Richard Feynman illustrates one of the rigors of the
> scientific method. Scientists who allow their intellect to be misled by their
> emotions fall into the trap of fooling themselves into isolating their
> preconceived strongly held desires and opinions from contradictory facts.
>
> When scientists allow themselves to be drawn into political agendas their
> heretofore rigorous scientific method is often replaced by a frenzy of
> fanaticism. Are they fooling themselves, or is this conscious fraud?.
> Distinguishing fraud from ignorance is often impossible, but whatever the
> motivation, the effect of the misinformation is equally deleterious. The public
> is most easily misled by political propaganda from highly respected sources.
>
> An extensive, carefully documented study by Kates DB, Schaffer HE, Lattimer JK,
> Murray GB, Cassem EH., Guns and Public Health: Epidemic of Violence or Pandemic
> of Propaganda? published in the Tennessee Law Review in 1995 (62(3):513-596)*
> tells a sad and shocking story.
>
> In the late 1970s, physicians from the American public health community
> apparently saw the opportunity for publicity (which helps to obtain funding) in
> the emotionally charged way the media presents, and dwells upon, violence
> involving firearms. Despite lacking expertise about firearms and their effects,
> and ignoring that crime (with or without guns) is clearly in the purview of the
> criminologist, these physicians declared gun violence an "epidemic,” and entered
> into a campaign to remove firearms from the hands of the citizens of the United
> States.
>
> To further this goal, these physicians allied themselves with anti-gun political
> lobbying organizations. Medical journals, including the Journal of the American
> Medical Association (JAMA), and the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM)
> became willing partners in this anti-gun advocacy. Most distressingly, the
> taxpayer-funded Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has also joined
> this medical anti-gun political cabal.

> [...]

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.