-Caveat Lector-

The truth about Waco
A survivor says the government still isn't admitting its role in the deaths
of 74 Branch Davidians.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By David Thibodeau

Sept. 9, 1999 | Attorney General Janet Reno says she's "very, very
frustrated" over recent revelations that the FBI fired explosive devices at
the Mount Carmel community outside of Waco, Texas, during the April 1993
siege. I know how Reno feels. I was one of only nine survivors of the Waco
blaze -- 74 men, women and children died -- and I've devoted the last six
years to understanding what happened there. Frustration is a mild word to
describe my feelings about that quest.

Reno's frustration, and mine, has only gotten worse recently as more damaging
revelations have surfaced. First there was the CIA agent who told Salon News
and the Dallas Morning News that members of the Army's secret Delta Force
unit had actively participated in the siege. Then the FBI turned over tape
recordings that include audio of an agent requesting and receiving permission
to use pyrotechnic devices. Reports on Wednesday revealed the government also
used incendiary flares during the Waco siege similar to those used to burn
down the hideout of white supremacist Robert Mathews.

The film "Waco: The Rules of Engagement" purported to show infrared images of
government agents firing on the building. Now there is also a rumored
videotape, uncovered by the film's co-producer, Michael McNulty, that
reportedly shows agents in an ATF helicopter shooting into Mount Carmel. No
doubt there will be more evidence "discovered," more agents coming forward,
their six-year amnesia about April 19 suddenly cured. The FBI has not come
close to revealing the full government complicity in the Waco massacre.

Obviously my stake is a bit more personal than most. Back in 1990 I had been
drumming in a stagnant Los Angeles rock band when I met and befriended David
Koresh. I needed some new drumsticks, and on the way to a gig stopped in at
the Guitar Center on Sunset Boulevard. Seeing the sticks in my hand, two
strangers introduced themselves and asked if I was playing in a band. The two
were David Koresh and Steve Schneider, the closest thing Koresh had to a
deputy. Schneider gave me his card and I promptly handed it back. The
backside was full of Bible verses. "You guys are a Christian band," I said,
uninterested.

I had never been religious in my life, and though I sometimes found myself
asking God for a little help, I couldn't remember the last time I had been in
a church, let alone seriously prayed. But I did have a spiritual curiosity;
there were questions -- big questions -- that I wanted answers to. Schneider
and Koresh weren't pushy and made it clear that all they really were looking
for right now was a drummer. "I'd like to play some music with you," Koresh
said, "and see where we can go from there."

In truth, my band was going nowhere, and Koresh intrigued me. So I took the
card back, and a few days later gave him a call. Over the next weeks I hung
out with Koresh and some other musicians in his band. I got to know Koresh
and was tremendously impressed. Having never paid much attention to the
Bible, I was astonished to find that it actually did have some relevance to
my life. And while Koresh had never gotten much in the way of formal
education, it was clear that his knowledge of and insight into the scriptures
was remarkable and profound.

That fall I went out to Waco to play music and meet the larger community. I
was pleasantly surprised by what I saw. The people at Mount Carmel were
extremely involved in knowing and learning the Bible. In the process of
demonizing Koresh and the Branch Davidians -- a name we never used when
describing ourselves -- people have made it seem as if Mount Carmel came out
of nowhere. In fact, Koresh was the third leader of a religious community
that spun off from the Seventh Day Adventists in 1934. They had been living
outside of Waco for almost 60 years before the ATF raid in 1993.

I was fascinated with their spiritual search, and I began -- for the first
time in my life -- to read the Bible and to see that its message might be
meaningful. Koresh was interesting, and the ways in which he explained the
scriptures were complex and demanding. I didn't care that he wasn't a
graduate of Yale divinity school. He was clearly a serious religious scholar
and I wanted to understand what he was saying. So I stayed.

The people around Koresh came from many backgrounds. I met folks who hadn't
finished high school, and others with degrees from places like Harvard law
school. I spent time with African-Americans, Australians, black Britons,
Mexican-Americans and more. One irony of the Waco disaster is that right-wing
extremists and racists look to Mount Carmel as a beacon; if they realized
that so many of us were black, Asian and Latino, and that we despised their
hateful politics and anger, they would probably feel bitterly betrayed.

That isn't to say that all of us leaned to the left. We had some serious
criticisms of the secular world that grew out of our faith. But we also had a
"live and let live" attitude that had allowed the community to co-exist with
its Texas neighbors for all those decades. We certainly weren't as isolated
as people seem to think. We shopped in town, some of us worked in the
community and our band performed in Waco clubs. I worked as a bartender in
Waco for a time and I doubt a single customer would tell you that I stood out
in any way other than my ability to mix a mean margarita.

....more at Salon.com