-Caveat Lector-

===========================
The Committee for National Solidarity
Tolstojeva 34, 11000 Belgrade, YU

CNRT
National Council for Timorese Resistance
MEDIA RELEASE
For immediate release: 1130 AustralianEST, Wednesday 8 September 1999

"The international community must intervene immediately...or there will
be
no East Timor."

STATEMENT BY:
Joćo Carrascalćo
Head of CNRT in Australia
President of UDT (Timorese Democratic Union)

The Field Commander of Falintil, Taun Matan Ruak, called today from his
base in the mountains of East Timor. He made an impassioned plea for
help
and detailed further atrocities committed by the Indonesian military
machine as it continues its genocide and ethnic cleansing program.

Taun Matan Ruak said:
"The international community must intervene urgently in East Timor -- or
tomorrow there will be no Timor to save.
"I call on Timorese everywhere to mobilise to press in every way they
can
for international intervention."

Taun Matan Ruak made a special appeal to Australia:
"Our thanks to you for what you are doing. But we need more help. Do not
forget, Australia, that we were there to help when Australia needed us,
dying in these very mountains to save Australian troops."

The situation in Dili:
"It is chaotic. People are fleeing to the mountains, being arrested,
killed
and forced on to trucks to go to West Timor.
"Some East Timorese in the police force have been murdered, some have
fled
to the mountains to join us.
"Indonesia is disarming Battalion 744 (an East Timorese territorial
battalion); the Indonesians do not trust them."

The situation in the Districts:
Suai:
"The Indonesians attacked and destroyed the church at Suai yesterday. Of
2000 people taking refuge there, they will 100-200, including two
priests
and two nuns."
Ermera:
"They attacked the church. All the priest and nuns and everyone
sheltering
there fled to a hiding place and are safe at present. Commander Ular
(the
local Falintil commander) says they are seeking safety in the
mountains."
Manatuto:
"The church was attacked. Father Domingos and the people sheltering
there
escaped to the mountains. Father Eduardo and another group are also on
their way into the mountains.
Laleia, Ossu and Venilale:
"Some residents and some local armed people got away from the military.
We
are trying to find them to stop them sacrificing themselves in a
hopeless
local fight back. That is going to be difficult; they are very
determined
people."

The situation in the mountains:
"There are tens of thousands of refugees in the mountains now; they are
in
a terrible situation.
"They are hungry, thirsty, sick and in abject misery.
"The roads are blocked, food is very short already.
"We are hungry, but we are doing everything we can to save our people."

FURTHER INFORMATION:
Joćo Carrascalćo, CNRT Spokesperson in Australia. Tel: (02) 9823 5616,
Mobile: 0418 767 101
Issued on behalf of CNRT by Geoffrey Heard & Associates
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
GH&A provides this service free to aid the suffering people of East
Timor.

. . . . . .

CNRT
National Council for Timorese Resistance
MEDIA RELEASE
For immediate release: 0930 AustralianEST, Wednesday 8 September 1999

Indonesia's ethnic cleansing target: kill 344,580 East Timorese

STATEMENT BY:
Joćo Carrascalćo
Head of CNRT in Australia
President of UDT (Timorese Democratic Union)

Hitler would be envious -- just 96 hours after the United Nations
declared
that 78.5 per cent of East Timorese had voted for freedom from
Indonesian
oppression, the fascist Indonesian military machine and its civil
government collaborators like Foreign Minister, Ali Alatas, are well on
their way to their target of exterminating 344,580 East Timorese.

They will also kill tens of thousands more -- innocent children.

These people will die, shot, hacked, tortured, raped and starved to
death,
unless the free, democratic nations of the world confront Indonesia
today,
in every international forum and on the ground in East Timor.

The figure of 344,580 is the number of people who voted for independence
in
the UN ballot, trusting in the assurances of sincere workers for the
United
Nations and from governments, including Australia and Portugal, that
they
could vote in safety and live to enjoy freedom afterwards.

But documents circulated in the Indonesian military and auxiliary
pseudo-militia forces before the ballot said that those voting should be
carefully noted, and every voter for independence should be wiped out
after
the ballot ... regardless of the result.

Those plans were put into action within an hour of the declaration of
the
ballot.

In the 1970s, 200,000 East Timorese died when the the Indonesian
military
dictatorship launched an all-out campaign against the independence
movement. That kept the lid on the movement for two decades.

There can be no doubt that this time, their aim is more ambitious -- to
wipe out the East Timorese independence movement for ever. That means
wiping out every East Timorese who voted for independence.

We reiterate Taun Matan Ruak's appeal to all nations -- please help now.
If
you don't, there will be no East Timor tomorrow.

FURTHER INFORMATION:
Joćo Carrascalćo, CNRT Spokesperson in Australia. TEL: (02) 9823 5616,
Mobile: 0418 767 101

Issued on behalf of CNRT by Geoffrey Heard & Associates
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA
GH&A provides this service free to aid the suffering people of East
Timor.

Geoffrey Heard
GH&A Public Relations
Tel: +61 3 9583 0788
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
GH&A provides a free PR and information service to CNRT to support the
people of East Timor in their struggle for freedom.

Secretary General
Mrs. Jela Jovanovic
Art  historian