-Caveat Lector-

http://www.thefreestudent.com/library/1999/09/10/ed.htm

> [...]
> her behavior, her personality and her very identity, irrevocably, to that
> desired by an individual whose authority she rejects. Let her come back only
> when she is completely submissive. Then let her say that a parent who would
> authorize such treatment for his or her son is not abusing that citizen.
>
> We offer this proposal, of course, in the certainty that it will not be carried
> out. Whether it would be just is debatable, bearing in mind that the judge
> permitted Mr. Richards to be subjected to those rules--and that he has not been
> accused of doing anything comparable to anyone else. It is hard to imagine how
> he could do something comparable to anyone else, since he does not have the
> authority.
>
> We do have some serious proposals:
>
> When a citizen of the United States, even one under 18 years of age, leaves the
> country, he or she should be required to sign a statement asserting that he or
> she is freely choosing to depart and acknowledging the loss of protection that
> comes from that departure. He or she should be required to discuss that
> statement privately with a Federal official, who should be required to take
> custody of any minor who refuses to sign the statement; such cases should
> immediately go before a Federal judge to determine whether inappropriate
> coercion is being used. (Where the minor is leaving voluntarily, the process
> should take approximately the same amount of time as is spent making sure guns
> are not taken aboard planes.) There is Federal authority the moment a border
> crossing is attempted, and the forcible removal of a citizen beyond Federal
> authority should be considered an offense far more serious than the illegal
> entry of a non-citizen, because it implies stripping that citizen of all civil
> rights.
>
> The right to counsel--with the implied right of contact, through an attorney,
> with the outside world--should be extended to all cases where a person's freedom
> is restricted, not just those that involve the criminal courts. Every prison
> inmate who thinks his or her rights are being violated may seek redress through
> the courts, and those who are confined without trial should have the same right.
> The American Bar Association already acknowledges that a minor's attorney must
> be concerned with his or her client's best interests, not those of the client's
> parents. With the assistance of an attorney, a citizen threatened with
> deportation and incarceration could seek protection from the courts, possibly
> including emancipation. If nothing else, a court fight with a court-appointed
> attorney can be an embarrassment, an additional expense--and a delay that could
> be useful to a citizen approaching the age of 18.
>
> Most importantly, the law must recognize the right of all citizens, regardless
> of age, to the equal protection of the laws. This fundamental principle has been

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.