-Caveat Lector-

http://www.nandotimes.com/politics/story/0,1068,91799-145419-1019573-0,00.ht
ml
----

Our Century, Nando's in-depth look at the 20th century
Former U.S. senator says Noriega threatened to blow up Panama Canal

Copyright © 1999 Nando Media
Copyright © 1999 Associated Press

By MARK STEVENSON

MEXICO CITY (September 11, 1999 12:05 a.m. EDT http://www.nandotimes.com) -
Former Panamanian ruler Gen. Manuel Noriega threatened to blow up the Panama
Canal in 1978 if the U.S. Senate attempted to amend an agreement to hand it
over, former Sen. Howard Baker Jr. said Friday.

Baker recalled how Noriega made the threat in a meeting with him during a
trip Baker made to Panama City in 1978, while serving as the Republican
leader in the Senate. The Senate was preparing to approve the treaty to give
full control of the canal and the Canal Zone to Panama by the end of 1999.

"We were talking about possible amendments, and I told him it is by no means
certain that the Senate is going to approve this," Baker said in a telephone
interview from Panama City, where he gave a speech to a conference sponsored
by the Arlington-based Freedom Forum.

"I asked him `what are your plans if they don't ratify?"

"He grumbled around a little and then said, `We'll blow it up'," Baker
recalled.

Asked if he thought Noriega was just posturing, Baker said, "I don't think
so."

The treaty passed the Senate without modifications that year.

Noriega was arrested in the 1989 U.S. invasion of Panama. Baker said he did
not believe the threat influenced the U.S. decision to launch the invasion,
in which about 600 Panamanians and 23 U.S. soldiers were killed.

A U.S. federal court in Miami convicted Noriega in 1992 on money laundering
and drug trafficking charges and sentenced him to 40 years in jail. A judge
reduced the sentence last March and could be eligible for release by 2007.

However, a French court convicted him in absentia in July on money
laundering charges and sentenced him and his wife Felicidad to 10 years in
jail

Panama has also asked the United States to extradite former Noriega so that
he can serve time there for the deaths of soldiers who attempted a 1989
coup.

If the choice is Al Gore or George W., there is really no choice at all. The
first will take you to hell in the fast lane, the other will take you there
in the slow lane. Either way, your destination is the same -- you're still
on the highway to hell.

Bard