-Caveat Lector-

My take on this, as a former nonprofit executive, is that almost all of the
PBS stations involved were using third-party brokers who shopped their
mailing lists to interested parties. I don't like having my name and address
sold to someone without my explicit permission; this form of fundraising
bugs the hell out of me, and has for years. But in an era when business and
corporate types dominate the boards of nonprofits (cf. the Pacifica
Foundation flap for an example), the mailing list becomes just a commodity,
part of the station's "goodwill." If anyone is really to blame in this mess,
it's the brokers, who never stopped to think that they might be endangering
the Federal funding of the stations involved, as well as the board members,
who obviously have not been exercising proper oversight over the operations,
especially the fundraising, of the stations.