-Caveat Lector-

@  www.antiwar.com/justin/justincol.html

> [...]

> in the US, during the dark days of the Cold War, and traditionally lampooned in
> England as "Colonel Blimps," these characters created a whole antiwar movement
> simply as a reaction to their murderous arrogance and repulsive personalities.
> Richard "Tricky Dick" Nixon, who became an archetype of human evil during the
> sixties, Robert McNamara, who used pseudo-scientific jargon to rationalize mass
> murder of Vietnamese civilians, and General Curtis E. LeMay, who ran with
> arch-segregationist George Wallace for vice president in 1968 and bellowed that
> he wanted to "bomb Vietnam back to the Stone Age." These guys were great
> villains, the best recruiters for the antiwar movement. Oh, for the good old
> days of General LeMay, who at least was honest about what it was he wanted and,
> indeed, what he represented: the spirit of the Stone Age incarnated in the
> modern world.
>

> THE NEW MILITARISTS
>
> Those days, alas, are gone forever. Militarism, like every other institution in
> our rotten culture, has gone politically correct. The War Party has modernized,
> updated and streamlined itself, and, most importantly, it has learned to speak a
> different language: the language of "human rights," multiculturalism, and loony
> leftism. The "hawks" and the Colonel Blimps of old are gone, replaced by such
> notables as Rep. Barney Frank and Noam Chomsky.
>
> FROM CALL BOYS TO DOUGHBOYS
>
> Rep. Frank, until recently famous for his taste in call-boys, has now become one
> of the leading lights of the War Party. Having succeeded, at least in part, in
> his crusade for gays in the military, Frank has recently seemed all too eager to
> show how this new gay-friendly army can perform in action, so to speak. "An army
> of lovers can never be defeated" or so the ancient Greeks thought, and during
> the Kosovo war the leading congressional voice of Greek love could hardly wait
> to put this old adage to the test. Now he takes to the House floor and bellows
> that "the government of Indonesia should be made to understand the terrible
> consequences it will pay if it continues the barbarous oppression of the people
> of East Timor." Ah, and what price is that? Frank is fuzzy on the details, but
> clear about the moral "right" of the U.S. to intervene, unilaterally if
> necessary:
>
> THE GREAT MILITARY LEADER SPEAKS
>
> "To those who say we must withhold, let us look at Serbia and Kosovo. The moral
> case for an international force intervening in East Timor is as great as the
> moral case was in Kosovo, and the legal case is greater. We ignored Serbia's
> claim of sovereignty over Kosovo and gave in to the moral imperative to save
> people. In Indonesia, the government in power held a referendum. Overwhelmingly,
> in the face of great intimidation, the brave people of East Timor voted for
> independence. That gives us an even stronger right to send a multinational force

A<>E<>R
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking
new landscapes but in having new eyes. -Marcel Proust
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said
it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your
own reason and your common sense." --Buddha
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
A merely fallen enemy may rise again, but the reconciled
one is truly vanquished. -Johann Christoph Schiller,
                                       German Writer (1759-1805)
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that
prevents us from living freely and nobly. -Bertrand Russell
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
"Everyone has the right...to seek, receive and impart
information and ideas through any media and regardless
of frontiers."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will
teach you to keep your mouth shut."
--- Ernest Hemingway
Forwarded as information only; no endorsement to be presumed
In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this material
for non-profit research and educational purposes only.