-Caveat Lector-

http://www.express-news.net/auth/ennews/ap/texas/d0631.html

Former ATF agent says he contemplated suicide after raid

SAN ANTONIO (AP) - A former undercover federal agent who
infiltrated the Branch Davidian sect in 1993 says he contemplated
suicide after fellow officers tried to blame him for the botched
raid in Waco.

``I put the gun in my forehead, in my mouth, and I just wanted to
so bad, but I couldn't,'' former agent Robert Rodriguez told
KSAT-TV in an interview aired Wednesday night.

Rodriguez, now retired from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
and Firearms, described the agency's Feb. 28, 1993, fire fight
with the Davidians and the tragedy that ensued.

``I said, 'My God, what happened? What happened here?'''
Rodriguez said. ``To watch people that you knew and that were
part of you get killed like this. ... I yelled out, 'God, why do
you allow your people like this to die in the hands of bad
people?' ''

``That day...,'' he said, ``I lost my religion.''

Rodriguez has testified in court and before Congress that he
warned fellow ATF agents that they had lost the element of
surprise with their raid against sect leader David Koresh and his
followers.

Four federal agents died from gunshots in the raid. Six Davidians
also are believed to have died.

The battle led to a 51-day standoff that ended April 19, 1993,
when the Davidians' home burst into flames. Koresh and about 80
followers died amid the flames.

Rodriguez had been assigned to infiltrate the sect. He became
acquainted with Koresh and others at Mount Carmel, the compound
near Waco where the Branch Davidians lived.

The sect was under investigation for alleged firearms violations,
agents said. When Rodriguez entered the place hours before the
scheduled raid, he found Koresh had been tipped off to the
operation.

But his supervising officers proceeded with the raid, then later
alleged Rodriguez hadn't given sufficient warning that the
element of surprise was lost.

Rodriguez recalled being devastated by their accusations, to the
point of considering suicide.

``They were all lying,'' he said. ``It put a lot of guilt on me.
I felt responsible for a very long time for the murder, for the
deaths, of these agents.''

Rodriguez filed a lawsuit in U.S. District Court in Waco,
alleging ATF officials violated his privacy and civil rights,
defamed him, and conspired to blame him.

That lawsuit was settled. Rodriguez refuses to discuss the
details.

AP-WS-09-16-99 1549EDT © 1999 San Antonio Express-News

             Kadosh, Kadosh, Kadosh, YHVH, TZEVAOT

  FROM THE DESK OF:                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                      *Mike Spitzer*     <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                         ~~~~~~~~          <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

       Shalom, A Salaam Aleikum, and to all, A Good Day.