-Caveat Lector-

----Original Message Follows----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [DOEWatch] Toxic Mercury Rains on U.S. Midwest
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 07:17:36 EDT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Source:
<A
HREF="http://ens.lycos.com/ens/sep99/1999L-09-14-06.html">http://ens.lycos.com/ens/sep99/1999L-09-14-06.html</A>
Environment ENS --
Environment News Service

Toxic Mercury Rains on U.S. Midwest

CHICAGO, Illinois, September 14, 1999 (ENS) - A new report reveals that the
rain and snow falling on cities in the American Midwest contains levels of
mercury that far exceed what the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
considers safe. The National Wildlife Federation and 21 state and local
partner organizations are launching a Clean the Rain Campaign today to help
reduce the health risks from toxic mercury.

The report by the National Wildlife Federation (NWF) compares mercury
contamination levels in rain to EPA safe levels for human health in 20
Midwestern cities and towns. Among the report's findings are mercury levels
in rain over Chicago, Illinois that are as high as 42 times EPA safe levels;
Detroit, Michigan rain with 65 times safe levels; and rain along the
Illinois/Wisconsin border as high as 56 times safe levels.

Though emissions from factories and power plants have been cut significantly
since this photo of Indiana Harbor was taken around 1960, emissions are
still a major source of mercury pollution.

"We usually think of rain as pure and clean, and that's the way it should
be," said Mark Van Putten, president & CEO of the National Wildlife
Federation. "But this report reveals that rain falling over Midwestern
cities such as Detroit, Chicago and Duluth contains as much as 65 times the
EPA ‘safe' level of mercury, which holds out extremely serious health
implications for both humans and wildlife."

Mercury is a potent toxin. When ingested in even tiny amounts can cause
devastating effects on the human nervous system, especially for children and
the unborn. Associated illnesses include brain, lung and kidney damage and
even death in humans. In wildlife, mercury is a reproductive hazard that can
cause harmful effects on species such as frogs, rainbow trout, zebra fish,
mallard and American black ducks, loons and terns.

"With so much at stake for both people and wildlife, decisive action is
needed right now to limit mercury emissions, because once mercury pollution
goes up into the atmosphere, rain carries it right back down into the very
water humans and wildlife depend on," said Peter Morman, of the
Environmental Law and Policy Center.

The report is based on scattered monitoring of rain from various Midwestern
sources. In Chicago, the University of Michigan Air Quality Laboratory
collected 65 samples of rainwater from the Illinois Institute of Technology
campus and measured mercury levels ranging from 5.4 parts per trillion to
74.5 parts per trillion. Average mercury levels were 12 times higher than
EPA’s standard, and even the lowest level measured was more than four times
higher than EPA safe levels.

"Nationally, more than a third of mercury emissions come from coal fired
power plants, with the remainder coming from municipal waste incinerators
and medical waste incinerators," said Morman. "In the Great Lakes region,
coal combustion causes over half the mercury emissions."

Coal contains trace amounts of mercury that are released into the air as it
is burned for energy. Rain droplets can form around tiny particles of smog
and soot, including mercury contaminants, and carry them back to the earth.

The technology to measure the traces of mercury captured by raindrops has
only existed since the mid-1990s.

There are currently no limits on how much mercury coal burning power plants
can emit, but the EPA is studying mercury pollution from the plants with an
eye to setting limits.

When medical devices such as thermometers and blood pressure cuffs or
household items like fluorescent lights, lamps and thermostats are discarded
and burned, the residual mercury is emitted into the atmosphere.

"A drop of mercury as small as 1/70th of a teaspoon can contaminate a 25
acre lake to the point that the fish in it are unsafe to eat," said Beverly
McClellan of the Lake Michigan Federation. "When you consider a typical 100
megawatt power plant emits about 25 pounds of mercury a year, the potential
for tremendous ecological and human health problems becomes alarmingly
clear."

The Clean the Rain Campaign calls on major industry to drastically reduce
emissions and asks citizens to help cut mercury pollution by conserving
energy, not purchasing consumer products that contain mercury, or if they do
purchase them, disposing of them properly at EPA approved recycling centers.

The Campaign also calls on federal and state governments to more closely
monitor mercury levels in rainfall. In several key locations, the National
Wildlife Federation has pledged to pay for rain monitoring if governments
fail to do so. Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit, Duluth and Gary, Indiana are the
first cities that NWF has targeted for additional monitoring. NWF is working
with the University of Michigan and the University of Minnesota to develop
and implement rain monitoring programs. Monitoring for mercury in Chicago's
rain ended in 1995, and has never been conducted in Gary.

"While the news of the danger raining down from our skies is alarming, much
can be done at the local, state and national levels to reduce the risk,"
said Andy Buchsbaum, NWF's water quality projects manager. "State agencies
and the U.S. EPA need to begin monitoring for mercury in rain in Chicago and
Gary. We need to know what's in our rain."

The full report - "Clean the Rain, Clean the Lakes: Mercury in Rain Is
Polluting The Great Lakes" - is available on line at:
http://www.nwf.org/water/news/CTRexec.html

In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. section 107, this
material is distributed without charge or profit to those
who have expressed a prior interest in receiving this type
of information for non-profit research and educational
purposes only.

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/smilinks/thirdeye.html